#ED

Weekend Estimates: JW: 102 IO 91...RTH: Sun JW 38.3 | IO 25.3 with possible upsides PG 287, possible 107M for JW weekend

There is no way the OD is going to be higher than Toy Story 3's.

If by some miracle it happens, I am going to wonder where everyone was during TS3's OW. That film deserved the animated OW record so badly it's not even funny.

They waited too long to make TS3. Otherwise maybe it would have opened a lot bigger.

• Like 1

They waited too long to make TS3. Otherwise maybe it would have opened a lot bigger.

They didn't wait too long, TS3 had a huge production history with delays and everything. Besides it outgrossed the first two. 

• Like 1

3:10 showing of JW is nearly sold out. Just watched the Everest trailer which I gotta say looks spectacular on the big screen. I can't wait for that one.

OMG!! One 3:30 showing of JW in one theater is nearly sold out!? $250 million weekend!!!!

That's how you Pixar people sound.

(Awesome for the JW show though.)

• Like 1

OMG!! One 3:30 showing of JW in one theater is nearly sold out!? $250 million weekend!!!!

That's how you Pixar people sound.

(Awesome for the JW show though.)

So we're going to have two straight weekends of terrific numbers but IO people can't be excited?

I disagree. Toy Story 3 couldnt have been released at a more perfect time. Imagine if they had kept the Andy growing up story line, but released it in 2002. Yeah...no not the same feeling.

The 2010 released allowed TS to span 2 generations, and people who were Andy's age or younger in 95 were now in college and could resonate with him. Plus 3D was hot in 2010.

It was perfect by Pixar. We "grew up" with Andy over those years. We wouldnt have been able to do that in 2002.

Edited by Jandrew
  • Like 2

I mean they slightly missed the perfect window for animation that Shrek took advantage of. By the time TS3 came out, the animation genre was a bit oversaturated.

This is kind of a free interpretation.

Shrek scored an out of this world multiplier of 6.3 and that's why Shrek just hit a nerve and was also a great movie.

Of course the sequel scores big after that, I don't think this has too much to do with the market being open, otherwise "The Incredibles" could have done this, too. But it didn't.

Edited by Poseidon
  • Like 1

I disagree Toy Story 3 couldnt have been released at a more perfect time. Imagine if they had kept the Andy growing up story line, but released it in 2002. Yeah, no.

The 2010 released allowed TS to span 2 generations, and people who were Andy's age or younger in 95 were now in college and could resonate with him. Plus 3D was hot in 2010.

It was perfect by Pixar.We "grew up" with Andy. We wouldnt have been able to do that in 2002.

I would have. I was 10 for the first Toy Story in late 1995. Turned 17 in late 2002. But I understand what you are saying about the kids who were quite a bit younger than that in '95.

Animation did get over saturated so has using CGI vs traditional special effects. Market will correct itself as necessary. Btw Shrek is a special franchise that really hasn't been replicated by anyone, special in that it grossed a shit load of $ on a rather meh story & characters.