#ED

Weekend Estimates: JW: 102 IO 91...RTH: Sun JW 38.3 | IO 25.3 with possible upsides PG 287, possible 107M for JW weekend

So I just watched the first 15 minutes of Jupiter Ascending.

Holy fuck this is fucking awful. That's some seriously shitty ass shit.

I came in to this with low expectations because I have heard many disappointed reviews, but damn, the first 15 minutes so far have just been fucking brutal so far. I had to take a break and try some dinner.

I'll try more later. It's bound to pick up, right?

there are a good couple scenes during the rest of the film, but generally the beginning is the best part  :ph34r:

I actually think the pro-Hammond side of the film worked very well. Because I think it's human to be seduced into how spectacular some technological achievements are and believe that we can control that. Malcolm said in the first movie that the science team were so fixated on if they could do this they didn't wonder if they should and I think that is a pretty true statement about a lot of things.

I really liked Henry Wu's POV in JW. He seemed so wrapped up in his achievement and his contribution that he never thought about what he should be doing. I hope he has a larger role in the sequel. Because I think his arc could be the most interesting.

Yes, but for good chunks the movie was a celebration of that; so,etching that was never the case with the original.

• Like 1

So I just watched the first 15 minutes of Jupiter Ascending.

Holy fuck this is fucking awful. That's some seriously shitty ass shit.

I came in to this with low expectations because I have heard many disappointed reviews, but damn, the first 15 minutes so far have just been fucking brutal so far. I had to take a break and try some dinner.

I'll try more later. It's bound to pick up, right?

its one of the worst big budget movies of all time

its so unbelievably bad

• Like 1

If the studios had known Avengers 2 wasn't going to do $500 million+ DOM, I think San Andreas would have taken Memorial Day, while Spy and IO moved to the last weekend of May. 

Schedule should have been (with Hot Pursuit moved to April 24th, Tomorrowland moved to October 9th with a $75 million budget, as well as Aloha/Selfless/American Ultra/Underdogs canned) 

May

1st: Avengers 2

8th: Mad Max - Fury Road

15th: Poltergeist and PP2

22nd: San Andreas and Aloha

29th: Spy and Inside Out

June

5th: Insidious Chapter 3, Paper Towns

12th: Jurassic World

19th: Ricki and the Flash 

26th: Pan and Ted 2

July 

3rd: Terminator and MMXXL

10th: Minions and Gallows 

17th: Ant-Man and Trainwreck

24th: Pixels, Southpaw and Max 

31st: Mission Impossible 5 and Vacation

August

7th: Fantastic Four, Shaun the Sheep

14th: Straight Outta Compton, Man From UNCLE, Masterminds

21st: Hitman, Sinister 2

28th: War Room, Regression, We Are Your Friends 

If studios hadn't been afraid of Avengers 2 and actually put some appealing films for Memorial Day weekend, 2015 would be on track for one of the most highest attended ever if it kept up the pace through June/July.  

Similar to 2002-2004, there's a lot of major films with wide appeal that people want to go see. 

Minions is doing well overseas, expect the same stateside. There is Ted 2, Ant Man, Pixels, Mission 5, Fantastic 4, and Trainwreck could be a sleeper hit. Terminator 5, Shaun the Sheep & Max could be decent hits. 

Jurassic World is good and my wife was pretty much really scared once the

D-Rex broke loose through

to the ending... but holy hell does it lean on nostalgia real hard. The movie almost has no existence of its own separate from the first movie.

The scene where the 

kids break into the set from the first movie

and all the talk of how "The first Jurassic Park was legit" was kind of ridiculous after a while. The nods to the original were nice in the first 15 minutes of the movie, post that it should have been done with and not referenced again.

Also, I was kind of disappointed the D-Rex didn't get a clear head to tail shot. They talk a lot about it, but they never bothered to show off the new dinosaur with the "hero shot" so to say.

Edited by grim22
  • Like 1

I dunno, bunch of random dudes playing cosplay pretending to save the world from what I heard ...

Kids and geeks used to like them back in 2012 ...

So basically a bunch of costumed dudes, who had their fifteen minutes of fame, and now there last weeks business, Alright, gotcha! 

to the ending... but holy hell does it lean on nostalgia real hard. The movie almost has no existence of its own separate from the first movie.

The scene where the 

and all the talk of how "The first Jurassic Park was legit" was kind of ridiculous after a while. The nods to the original were nice in the first 15 minutes of the movie, post that it should have been done with and not referenced again.

Disagree. They did about as well as you could ask for with a JP sequel. Really the original should have been a one-off situation, but since we did end up with a franchise I think they did a great job with this one. JP1 is awesome and there is nothing wrong with referencing it.

• Like 1

The scene where the 

Strongly agree with what you said. JW was a really good movie, very well made, but I could have done without the references to the first.

That said, if too many references to the original is your biggest complaint, they did a damn fine job making this movie.

• Like 1

The scene where the 

Also, I was kind of disappointed the D-Rex didn't get a clear head to tail shot. They talk a lot about it, but they never bothered to show off the new dinosaur with the "hero shot" so to say.

Yes it ALMOST tipped over into Star Wars Prequel levels of obsession with the original. When the kid picks up the night vision goggles and examines them I pretty much rolled my eyes. That said unlike the Prequels this movie remembers to at least have fun while paying homage to the original so I still enjoyed the hell out of it.