kayumanggi

RAMPAGE | 13 April 2018 | Warner Brothers | Dwayne Johnson

42 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Force Awaken, Thor 3, guardian of the galaxy, John Wick there is a long list of just fun popcorn movie dbeing very strong consensus to be 7, or 8/10 that make over 90% on Rotten tomatoes is quite common.

Kong Skull island got a 76% for is very outthere popcorn fun non sense, critics seem to be judging movies most of the time somewhat under what the movie was trying to be and they find that this one failed at being a good popcorn movie, while Marvel achieve to make them.

Star Wars and marvel don't count. For the most part, I'm talking about the one-offs. I don't really need a critic what they think the movie was trying to achieve and if it succeeded. I can do that myself esp with these kinds of movies. I already know what to expect.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Harley said:

Star Wars and marvel don't count. For the most part, I'm talking about the one-offs. I don't really need a critic what they think the movie was trying to achieve and if it succeeded. I can do that myself esp with these kinds of movies. I already know what to expect.

Well obviously if you have seen a movie you do not need a critics to tell you anything like that (I am not even sure what you even mean by that ?).

This doesn't feel like a video game movie. Nor did Tomb Raider. Though, I guess we're just talking about video game ADAPTIONS. 

The Rock being in this might help it in other countries, but straight up monster movies always drop... Besides King Kong films for some reason.

I'll go with 33/100 domestic. That's a generous multiplier for this type of film though. Same thing overall in China, 45/100. OS-China 150 total for 350 WW. Should be enough to see profit for a smart budgeted film.

• Like 1

The problem with Rampage—in which Dwayne Johnson plays a primatologist desperate to keep three angry overgrown varmints from wrecking Chicago—isn’t that it’s big and dumb. It’s that it’s not big and dumb enough. The movie certainly has things going for it: Dwayne Johnson. An albino sweetie of an ape named George. Dwayne Johnson. But if we need proof that most popular entertainments just don’t know what they want to be, or ought to be, anymore, Rampage is it. In trying to please everyone, it fails to present anything that might resonate with our inner anarchist, or even just with our inner vintage arcade-video-game enthusiast. The movie is at its best when it’s sopping with sentimentality and when it goes right over the top in its depiction of dorky destruction. Everything in between is a drag.

http://time.com/5237035/rampage-review-dwayne-johnson/

It doesn't look like Zacharek of TIME is looking for it to be anything but big dumb fun.

Reviews right now are around San Andreas.  Much better than Baywatch but it's not as if critics didn't give solid to good reviews to Jumanji, Central Intelligence and the last several F&F movies.

• Like 1

Despite reviews, I think this should have a nice run overseas. Looking at anywhere from $80-150m in China (awaiting ratings) and my theater in the UK is looking good, so it should debut #1 and hopefully have a nice $20-30m run, maybe more if it takes off, although Avengers will kill a lot of business in two weeks time.

20 hours ago, Joel M said:

San Andreas played like a "dead-serious" disaster movie. This looked more fun and almost tongue in cheek. Maybe not great reviews but I definately thought it will do much better than San Andreas on RT. Critics are usually more kind to movies that seem to be in on the joke. 

Unless, of course, the joke falls flat..which the critics seem to think what happened here.

I did not care much for San Andread..one of the worst written movies of the past few years. Yeah, the destruction was fun but you had to spend of much time with bad dialogue and  boring, clichéd, one dimensional charecters between the earthquakd and tsunamis.

37 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

http://time.com/5237035/rampage-review-dwayne-johnson/

It doesn't look like Zacharek of TIME is looking for it to be anything but big dumb fun.

Reviews right now are around San Andreas.  Much better than Baywatch but it's not as if critics didn't give solid to good reviews to Jumanji, Central Intelligence and the last several F&F movies.

Most critics are blasting it for the same reason;it's dumb, but fails to deliver on the fun.

Critics actually seem to like Johnson ,but, I think probably rightly, think he needs to show more care in selecting his scripts.

3 hours ago, AJG said:

Another rotten video game movie. Colour me surprised.

What is interesting is that the marketing seemed to avoid mentioning it was based on a video game. Did not seem to help much though.

1 hour ago, Harley said:

Critics won't like it. It looks like a good popcorn movie which means it'll be fun. There literally is no point of using rotten tomatoes for a movie like this. It was going to get a rotten score before it was even made. 

THis is BS. Most critics were reviewing it as a popcorn movie..and said it failed to deliver on the fun element.

This whole idea that critics rip apart any movie that is not a "Serious film" is crap.

And I am so tired of the "But it's a popcorn movie" to be used as an excuse for plain bad filmmaking.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RandomCat said:

So, the question I have is, is Dwayne Johnson a more believable primatologist than Denise Richards is a Nuclear physicist?

Both more believable than Jake Gyllenhaal in Price of Persia as awake human.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

Just got back from seeing it at the cinema, it's good fun. Could definitely have done with being dumber, or embrace the concept more whole heartedly. 

Are the effects good or bad? Reading the reviews, ive heard both.

2 hours ago, RandomCat said:

So, the question I have is, is Dwayne Johnson a more believable primatologist than Denise Richards is a Nuclear physicist?

And that is why I have a little sceptism about Johnson as Doc Savage. In the pulps, Doc is a total genius are in just about every area of science.