kayumanggi

RAMPAGE | 13 April 2018 | Warner Brothers | Dwayne Johnson

13 hours ago, Ithil said:

The Rock's films in the last 4-5 years are starting to blend together. San Andreas, Jumanji, Rampage, GI Joe. It's like they have a "Rock" genre of blockbuster right now.

Rock does The Rundown.  Also known as Welcome to the Jungle internationally.  Jungle action movie.  Years later Rock does Jumanji.  Tag line...Welcome to the Jungle.  Features the song Welcome to the Jungle.  4 months later, Rock does movie starring giant Ape...who comes from the Jungle.  Coming soon...Rock does Jungle Cruise.

My thesis?  Rock loves the Jungle.

WELCOME TO THE JUNGLE.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Some of the pics he’s posted from Skyscraper look very similar to these too.

He’ll be oversaturated by that point. 

His last was Baywatch which was shocking. 

The problem I'm having with the Rock these days is that he thinks he's enough to sell *anything*. Baywatch was proof that he's not. And it probably won't be the last.

Edited by Jay Beezy
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Jay Beezy said:

The problem I'm having with the Rock these days is that he thinks he's enough to sell *anything*. Baywatch was proof that he's not. And it probably won't be the last.

Not sure it is really a good example of an anything project, Baywatch is far from a project sold only on Dwayne Johnson, not only it is using a franchise of the most watched fiction show of the 90s (or some not sure if true statement around that, but it was a giant world phenomenon), a popular genre mix (raunchy comedy-action) and had a supporting cast like Efron.

There is a reason that very meh looking movie still made over 175m, it was an really safe and easy sell.

He seem to play it so safe in is proposition's, in term of fun time crowd pleaser, not even trying to sell something audience maybe would not want if he was not involved. Yet to see him take a risk since he became really big (post Pain&Gain), he is following a very calculated career plan. 

31 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Not sure it is really a good example of an anything project, Baywatch is far from a project sold only on Dwayne Johnson, not only it is using a franchise of the most watched fiction show of the 90s (or some not sure if true statement around that, but it was a giant world phenomenon), a popular genre mix (raunchy comedy-action) and had a supporting cast like Efron.

There is a reason that very meh looking movie still made over 175m, it was an really safe and easy sell.

He seem to play it so safe in is proposition's, in term of fun time crowd pleaser, not even trying to sell something audience maybe would not want if he was not involved. Yet to see him take a risk since he became really big (post Pain&Gain), he is following a very calculated career plan. 

Within the posters and trailers, the movie was sold mostly as a Rock/Efron buddy movie/pissing contest. For the property the movie was based on, it was fine to sell them on them, but considering the property, it needed to be sold on more than them. They needed to sell Daddario and Rohrbach just as much as Rock and Efron. And the reason the marketing didn't was because the movie itself didn't feature them as much as it should have, i.e. the movie was mostly a Rock/Efron buddy movie/pissing contest as the marketing showcased. Trying to sell Chopra as the villain more than the female lifeguards strictly to bait for foreign box office doesn't count (nor did it work as it bombed harder in the countries she was supposed to be a draw in).

Selling starpower in movies these days requires context in which starpower is utilized.

Edited by Jay Beezy

That sound a lot what marketing had to work with once they saw the movie and what test trailers they made scored better with test audience, not sure how conscious in advance that plan was.

It is still a bit of a reach to think someone accept to do one of the biggest franchise of the 90s adaptation in a popular genre thinking that he is able to sell anything (there were very few project with a theatrical release easier to sell than that, regardless of the cast, how giant is box office was with a has wrong it could go marketing and reception just show how safe it was), if he was trying to sell something like Under the Skin to world audience....

Edited by Barnack

3 minutes ago, Barnack said:

That sound a lot what marketing had to work with once they saw the movie and what test trailers they made scored better with test audience, not sure how conscious in advance that plan was.

A studio's marketing department actually does have *some* say in terms of what movies to make and how to make them. As in they're made a certain way so marketing can sell them a certain way. So when you have a marketing department out of touch in terms of what would sell...

Edited by Jay Beezy

1 hour ago, Barnack said:

It is still a bit of a reach to think someone accept to do one of the biggest franchise of the 90s adaptation in a popular genre thinking that he is able to sell anything (there were very few project with a theatrical release easier to sell than that, regardless of the cast, how giant is box office was with a has wrong it could go marketing and reception just show how safe it was), if he was trying to sell something like Under the Skin to world audience....

Here's the thing. First, they were unquestionably hoping for more box office than what they got. Second, fortune favors the bold more so playing it safe doesn't always cut it; chances need to be taken in certain cases. Third, when you’re adapting something, you should never undermine what was popular about your source material, no matter what starpower you have. You don't alter what was popular to cater to starpower, you assign starpower to cater to what was popular.

Baywatch failed because of that, among other reasons. To its credit, Rampage doesn’t look to be doing the latter even if it looks dull and drab a bit. 

Edited by Jay Beezy
  • Like 1

Still current Dwayne Johnson seem to limit itself to a very small and narrow genre, both in term of movies he does but also in characters he plays, far far from being able to sell anything, compare is output to DiCaprio, 80s/90s Cruise, Hanks.

He does not seem to me that he feel like he can sell anything, to me it feel like he think that is movies need action-humor, cheesy crowd pleasing, visual over the top spectacle while playing a likable hero, with some clear distinction between family fun movies and is not those, to not hurt the first. He seem really aware of is limitation, what work for him and to stay in that very narrow band of possibility right now.

It feel extremely calculated with a marketing team metrics for all is projects, not I would just do what I love or what director I admire and want to be part of is universe for 8 month and it will work because I can sell anything. 

23 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Still current Dwayne Johnson seem to limit itself to a very small and narrow genre, both in term of movies he does but also in characters he plays, far far from being able to sell anything, compare is output to DiCaprio, 80s/90s Cruise, Hanks.

He does not seem to me that he feel like he can sell anything, to me it feel like he think that is movies need action-humor, cheesy crowd pleasing, visual over the top spectacle while playing a likable hero, with some clear distinction between family fun movies and is not those, to not hurt the first. He seem really aware of is limitation, what work for him and to stay in that very narrow band of possibility right now.

It feel extremely calculated with a marketing team metrics for all is projects, not I would just do what I love or what director I admire and want to be part of is universe for 8 month and it will work because I can sell anything. 

True. I just wish he wouldn't make properties "Dwayne Johnson projects" when they shouldn't be, even if the properties benefit from him playing the role he's playing. To its credit, Jumanji looks to feature all four players in equal measure, even though I'm sketchy about him turning a children's book turned PG family fantasy into a PG-13 fantasy actioner.

Also, forgive me for saying this, but your sentence structure is a little hard to understand. lol

2 hours ago, Brainbug said:

I personally dont see trailer views as that good of an indicator how well certain films do, but goddamn the official trailer for this has already 12 Million views on YT.

I think it might be because Rampage is a big-budget film most people would consider as 'new', despite its classification as an adaption.