baumer

Weekend Thread JW 54.2M, hits 500 | IO 52M | pg 99

kitik, on 25 Jun 2015 - 12:18 PM, said:

what a truly awful and worthless comparison

I bet someone is reconsidering their knowledge on box office right now.

Edited by Enveeous

So, Spy is going to have about a 25% drop.  I'm not one of those guys to say I told you so, but I did.  Right from the beginning WOM on this was sure to make it a leggy film.  so I looked at the Proposal for a comparison.  The Proposal fell 45% in its second weekend against Transformers 2 and then after that it stabilized for the rest of the summer.  Spy is going to do the same.  It's going to hit a 4X because it's a really fun movie.  

IO is a monster.  It's going to drop incredibly well this weekend and that's pretty incredible coming off an inflated weekend.

JW is obviously crumbling.  Where is that dude anyway?  Fake, who is a great box office guy, said this might not hit 600.  I said it would easily pass Avengers.  It will and it has it's site set on Titanic now.  With about a 56% jump, this is looking like Kingdom of the Crystal Skull for weekend bumps.  It too was jumping 55% on Saturdays in June.  Difference is of course, JW has monster weekdays.  The weekend projections are going to be interesting. With a 22% Sunday drop, JW makes 55.7 mill this weekend.  With an 18% drop, IO makes about 53 mill.  Universal should just come out on Sunday and declare victory.  It seems certain this time.

• Like 12

JW is definitely going to beat Titanic. TDK made another $140 million coming off $42.6 million in its third weekend. Assuming a 55M weekend for Jurassic World, with the same multiplier, it would do $680 million total. Following The Avengers, it would do roughly $665 million. I'd say it will probably end somewhere in between those totals. 

JW could end up making 50% more than AoU. (685/457)

• Like 2

At this point, 600 is done, 630 is done and Titanic is a real possibility.  I'd love to see it make 700.  Probably won't but that would be about the most surprising gross of the year, hell of the last five years.

• Like 1

I saw Almost Famous for the first (!!!) time today. I liked it a ton. I normally find Crowe's work incredibly cloying and I wasn't on board for what Hudson was doing a lot of the time, but his sweetness felt well placed in this movie. Great cast as well-- loved Sun Kil Moon showing up as the bassist.

Favorite movie of all time

So, Spy is going to have about a 25% drop.  I'm not one of those guys to say I told you so, but I did.  Right from the beginning WOM on this was sure to make it a leggy film.  so I looked at the Proposal for a comparison.  The Proposal fell 45% in its second weekend against Transformers 2 and then after that it stabilized for the rest of the summer.  Spy is going to do the same.  It's going to hit a 4X because it's a really fun movie.  

IO is a monster.  It's going to drop incredibly well this weekend and that's pretty incredible coming off an inflated weekend.

JW is obviously crumbling.  Where is that dude anyway?  Fake, who is a great box office guy, said this might not hit 600.  I said it would easily pass Avengers.  It will and it has it's site set on Titanic now.  With about a 56% jump, this is looking like Kingdom of the Crystal Skull for weekend bumps.  It too was jumping 55% on Saturdays in June.  Difference is of course, JW has monster weekdays.  The weekend projections are going to be interesting. With a 22% Sunday drop, JW makes 55.7 mill this weekend.  With an 18% drop, IO makes about 53 mill.  Universal should just come out on Sunday and declare victory.  It seems certain this time.

After the great reviews, I was thinking it would have a 4x-4.5x, similar to you. However, I expected $40-45 million OW on its way to $160-200 million DOM. Considering the budget, Tammy's horrid reception, and the fact that it will end up above Ted 2, Spy did extremely well  :) it also leaves room for Trainwreck or Vacation to explode at the end of July. Maybe even both if Pixels, Ant-Man, Minions and MI5 cause a lot of sellout spillover. 

After all of the 'Pixar movies ONLY hold this, this and this' from so many doom-and-gloom predicters, IO just came and flat-out showed them it's a completely different beast. If it holds great next weekend, and drops less than 55% against Minions (I'm thinking 48-52%), it's pretty much set for 20-30% drops the rest of its run. Which should get it just across a 4x I think ($350-380 million DOM is my current range for it) 

Jurassic World is doing phenomenal, still! If it beats Avengers 1's 3rd weekend record, $35-40 million is possible for the July 4th frame. And if it breaks Avengers 1's 4th weekend, I'd say $650 million DOM is pretty much in the bag. I do think JW will drop 16-18% on Sunday as opposed to 22-26%. $55-57 million 3rd weekend is phenomenal. 

Jurassic World:       14.7

17.0 (-26%)    54.7 (-48%) Wknd

Inside Out:             14.9

16.8 (-22%)    53.4 (-41%) Wknd

Ted 2:                      13.2

8.2 (-28%)    32.8 OW        

Spy                          2.1

2.4 (-30%)    8.0 (-29%) Wknd     

San Andreas:            1.4

1.6 (-30%)    5.3 (-36%) Wknd

Great holds across the board, coming from an inlfated last weekend. Spy laughed hard in Ted's face.

Ted 2 just happened to underperform, and target a different R-rated demo than Spy. Spy targets older adults and older women, while Ted 2 targets teens, college kids and young women. There's slight overlap from men, but both have enough differences for them to co-exist. I think the same will happen for Trainwreck and Vacation next month. 

How anyone can be disappointed by that Inside Out number is beyond me. A 41% drop for an animated movie that opened at 90m is excellent. At this point it's going to pass Up, and 300m+ is basically locked. 

....it was always going to pass up with a $90 million OW and zero competition for its first 2.5 weeks  :lol: but $53-55 million 2nd weekend does lock $300 million DOM and I'd even dare to say $325 million is near locked (WALL-E had the lowest original Pixar multi and it did $320 million. This has far more GA appeal than WALL-E, so it should hold up at least a little better) 

$35 million (30% drop... unlike other animated films on July 4th, Inside Out has no direct family competition) - $268 mlilion DOM

$17 million (52% drop... Minions will hurt, but IO should stabilize) - $305 million DOM

$13 million (25% drop... Ant-Man double features) - $330 million DOM

$9 million (33% drop... Pixels hurts it a little more) - $347 million DOM 

$7.5 million (20% drop... zero competition) - $361 million DOM (4x!!!) 

$5.5 million (30% drop... Shaun hurts slightly) - $370 million DOM

$3.5 million (38% drop... Underdogs hurts slightly) - $375 million DOM

$2.75 million (20% drop... zero competition) - $378 million DOM

$2 million (30% drop... zero competition) - $380 million DOM

$3 million/$4 million (Labor Day boost) - $385 million DOM

$390 million-$395 million DOM after dollar theater run. 

Of course, if it holds slightly better than expected on Sunday, has a $40-42 million July 4th frame, and does $20-21 million against Minions, I might just say $400 million DOM is locked :ph34r: since there's no major direct competition the rest of the summer. Shaun and Underdogs aren't on the same level. 

• Like 2

I have my thoughts but I'll save that for the thread. Am still seeing it on Monday out of pure boredom, I wonder how empty the theater will be.

For my session it was about a dirty dozen.