BoxOfficeZ

Monday 6.8 IO, 6.4 JW, 3.6 TED2

I was just looking at our own Boxoffice website

I'll assume your saying its even more? possible

Boxoffice.com is the only website which adds estimated marketing budgets to give an overall total budget. It can be misleading because you have to read the fine print to realize this... and since no one knows marketing budgets, they're essentially just guessing based off industry averages. The production budget from MMFR, as far as we can tell, was around 150m.

Personally, I'd love to see more specific marketing numbers, but I also don't think they give a good perspective on a film's profitability unless you also take the ancillary revenue streams into account: home video, VOD, premium/cable/network TV (foreign and domestic), etc etc.

• Like 1

I was just looking at our own Boxoffice website

I'll assume your saying its even more? possible

It's possible, but the marketing/distro costs aren't usually considered in the rules of thumb for whether a film is profitable.

In the past, if you doubled your budget in WW gross, you were doing okay. I'd probably amend that to say it's the WW-China gross, since the returns are so different there. Either way, MMFR's 360m is more than double the 150m reported budget, so it's doing fine. It's not a huge money maker, but it's still good.

• Like 1

As a kickstarter for a reborn franchise Fury did a beautiful job not only proving that the audience will still pay for this type of movie (350m WW is big for a R rated) if its done well, but also leaving a great goodwill that will almost make sure the sequels will be quite profittable.

• Like 1

As a kickstarter for a reborn franchise Fury did a beautiful job not only proving that the audience will still pay for this type of movie (350m WW is big for a R rated) if its done well, but also leaving a great goodwill that will almost make sure the sequels will be quite profittable.

you have 6,666 posts

• Like 2

Honestly, I'm thinking it'll be similar to fall 2003 where everything did solid, but not gigantic. (Except Martian)

September

1. Hotel Transylvania 2: $130 million
  2. The Maze Runner 2: $115 million
  3. Black Mass: $100 million
  4. Everest: $80 million
  5. The Intern: $60 million
  6. The Visit: $50 million

October

1. The Martian: $205 million
  2. Bridge of Spies: $145 million
  3. Crimson Peak: $120 million
  4. Pan: $110 million
  5. Goosebumps: $105 million
  6. Steve Jobs: $70 million
  7. The Walk: $55 million

September

Transylvania may do more: $150M, trailer is great

Maze Runner will definitely do more: $130M

Black Mass is very grim & nasty: more like $50M

Everest may surprise and do $120M, footage looks impressive

Intern is a washout, remember the Vince Vaugh version?

Visit is about right

Mad Max has received overwhelmingly positive review on the internet. Very few films attract this kind of love outside of Matrix, LotR, Gravity etc.

6,666 posts: mind blown!

• Like 1

September

Transylvania may do more: $150M, trailer is great

Maze Runner will definitely do more: $130M

Black Mass is very grim & nasty: more like $50M

Everest may surprise and do $120M, footage looks impressive

Intern is a washout, remember the Vince Vaugh version?

Visit is about right

Mad Max has received overwhelmingly positive review on the internet. Very few films attract this kind of love outside of Matrix, LotR, Gravity etc.

Intern is the only film with female appeal in a sea of kid/male centric releases. $40-60 million should happen based on a lack of competition

So... I want to see if I've acquired any RTH power. Let's see how these numbers turn out today: 

Inside Out: 8.9m (+29%) 

Jurassic World: 7.5m (+15%) 

Ted 2: 3.7m (flat) 

Edited by Gopher
  • Like 8

Honestly, I'm thinking it'll be similar to fall 2003 where everything did solid, but not gigantic. (Except Martian)

September

• Hotel Transylvania 2: $130 million
  • The Maze Runner 2: $115 million
  • Black Mass: $100 million
  • Everest: $80 million
  • The Intern: $60 million
  • The Visit: $50 million
October
  • The Martian: $205 million
  • Bridge of Spies: $145 million
  • Crimson Peak: $120 million
  • Pan: $110 million
  • Goosebumps: $105 million
  • Steve Jobs: $70 million
  • The Walk: $55 million
September:

1. Hotel 2 - $135M

2. Maze Runner 2 - $105M

3. Everest - $90M

4. Black Mass - $80M

5. The Intern - $50M

6. The Visit - $40M

October:

1. The Martain - $160M

2. Bridge of Spies - $145M

3. Goosebumps - $125M

4. The Walk - $100M

5. Steve Jobs - $80M

6. Pan - $70M

7. Crimson Peak - $65M

• Like 1

So... I want to see if I've acquired any RTH power. Let's see how these numbers turn out today: 

Inside Out: 8.9m (+29%) 

Jurassic World: 7.5m (+15%) 

Ted 2: 3.7m (flat) 

Your the Man :)

IO 8.8,JP4 7.4, Ted2 3.8

• Like 11