vc2002

Thursday numbers: IO 7.7,JW 6.8,TG 6.3, MM2 5.7 (Gopher strikes again)

yep, you completely nailed it, no one asked for that movies (may be a bit of terminator, but not like this anyway), Ted2 and XXL really shouldn't be, I think if Maze Runner 2 was released this or last weekend BO would be healthier this past weeks (days)

If summer 2015 had this schedule 

May

1 - Avengers 2

8 - Fury Road (Avengers 2's underperformance left room for an adult-skewing tentpole) 

15 - Pitch Perfect 2, Poltergeist 

22 - San Andreas (would have gotten to $175-200 million DOM if not for its release date), Spy (better launch date) 

29 - Inside Out, Aloha

June 

5 - Insidious Chapter 3, Entourage

12 - Jurassic World, Dope 

19 - Ted 2,  Paper Towns, Max

26 -  Ricki and the Flash, UNCLE

July 

3 - Magic Mike XXL, Minions

10 - Terminator, Trainwreck

17 - Ant-Man, Self/Less

24 - Pixels, Gallows  

31 - MI5, Vacation, Shaun the Sheep 

August 

7 - Fantastic Four, Compton

14 - Masterminds, Pan, Sinister 2

21 - Underdogs, American Ultra, Maze Runner 2 

28 -  Hitman, Regression, We Are Your Friends 

The BO may not be perfect (August will still have the pre-Labor Day weekend of meh, Terminator will bomb still), but late May/early June wouldn't have been a complete bust, and August would actually have a shot at doing decent numbers. 

Edited by mahnamahna
  • Like 1

Budgets: Terminator $170m (Ha) Magic Mike XXL $15m.

$15m is a bargain. I wonder if all the guys got paid in $1's.

Btw, caught the 10:15 showing of Terminator last night, probably 80-100 people. Snuck into the end of JW 10:40 showing and it's a packed room, 130-150 people. Only seats left were in the front rows. Amazing.

• Like 1

Disney/Marvel should move Black Panther to T7's date while they still can. The two TG sequels are bound to tank so Paramount probably isn't going to bother with them.

Edited by C00k13
  • Like 1

If summer 2015 had this schedule (with Hot Pursuit in April, Tomorrowland in October, and Pan/MR2 bumped up) 

May

1 - Avengers 2

8 - Fury Road (Avengers 2's underperformance left room for an adult-skewing tentpole) 

15 - Pitch Perfect 2, Poltergeist 

22 - San Andreas (would have gotten to $175-200 million DOM if not for its release date), Spy (better launch date) 

29 - Inside Out, Aloha

June 

5 - Insidious Chapter 3, Entourage

12 - Jurassic World, Dope 

19 - Ted 2, Paper Towns 

26 - Pan, Ricki and the Flash 

July 

3 - Magic Mike XXL, Terminator 

10 - Minions, Self/Less

17 - Trainwreck, Ant-Man

24 - Pixels, Southpaw, Gallows  

31 - MI5, Vacation, Shaun the Sheep 

August 

7 - Fantastic Four, Compton 

14 - Masterminds, UNCLE, Maze Runner 2  

21 - Underdogs, American Ultra, Sinister 2

28 -  Hitman, Regression, We Are Your Friends 

The BO may not be perfect (August is still a mess, due to how meh the last 2 weekends are), but May/June would have been strong (IO/SA/Spy holdovers, JW, Ted 2/Paper Towns/Pan/Ricki combined), July would still be ridiculously strong, and August would have a second tentpole to help F4 out (MR2). Not to mention Tomorrowland would have a much better chance at $100 million DOM with no major tentpoles until Spectre than its Memorial Day slot  :lol:

ha, disney would have time to fix tomorrowland 3rd act and could turn out to be a good movie (personaly i liked it a bit, but the end was lazy at best) xD 

So... If Genysis 2 does happen, does Paramount reboot again after this failure? New director, new writers... Hell, I'd move away from John Conner, Sarah Conner, Reese, Arnold, et al. Fuck that nonsense. Something new and fresh with new faces that takes place within the universe Cameron established 30 years ago.

I saw everyone talking about it st school and I thought maybe there nis some excitement for this :lol:

Apparently not

Your rinky dink school in Ohio doesn't represent the entire movie going public.

• Like 2

So... If Genysis 2 does happen, does Paramount reboot again after this failure? New director, new writers... Hell, I'd move away from John Conner, Sarah Conner, Reese, Arnold, et al. Fuck that nonsense. Something new and fresh with new faces that takes place within the universe Cameron established 30 years ago.

Probably too late for Paramount to build any momentum and sizable box office with a total reboot.  Don't the rights revert back to Cameron in 2019?

Probably too late for Paramount to build any momentum and sizable box office with a total reboot.  Don't the rights revert back to Cameron in 2019?

Doesn't matter, by then Skynet will have taken over.

People here being excited has been a good sign in the past (The Hunger Games, Furious 7, Jurassic World)

You were off with Ted 2 and Terminator 5. But, we've all been off in expecting breakout numbers before. Do you still expect less than $100M OW DOM for Minions? I'm honestly genuinely shocked by any member here that expects less than $100M+ OW DOM for that one. It just seems so likely to explode. Not to mention, reviews seem mixed to positive, which should help buzz too.

Edited by JohnnyGossamer

You were off with Ted 2 and Terminator 5. But, we've all been off in expecting breakout numbers before. Do you still expect less than $100M OW DOM for Minions?

Yeah. 85M-95M sounds about right into me

At this point unless you have Arnold, even the freshest possible take one this would probably bomb. I think people are just done with it. Period.

So judging by these numbers am I wrong in thinking JW could possibly 4-peat seeing as it's player better on weekends relatively speaking than IO?

I think that will probably be offset by it losing many screens and IMAX this weekend.

Also animation is known to hold well over time and IO is definitely proving that point.

I think IO will win the weekend. JW has surprised us in the past though, so it's possible.