vc2002

Thursday numbers: IO 7.7,JW 6.8,TG 6.3, MM2 5.7 (Gopher strikes again)

Yep, contracts can be a bitch for theater owners, especially those really small theaters with a few screens or less.

I don't think TG will be performing this weekend in IMAX any worse than JW would be. Naturally theaters would get more from JW in IMAX at this point but the overall grosses will be pretty similar this weekend. It's next weekend where TG will fall a lot and those huge theaters will be pretty much vacant. I think there's a better chance of a surprise Minions in IMAX 3D announcement than JW coming back. 

I don't think TG will be performing this weekend in IMAX any worse than JW would be. Naturally theaters would get more from JW in IMAX at this point but the overall grosses will be pretty similar this weekend. It's next weekend where TG will fall a lot and those huge theaters will be pretty much vacant. I think there's a better chance of a surprise Minions in IMAX 3D announcement than JW coming back. 

If JW does more than TG this weekend without IMAX (which seems highly likely), I don't see how you can say TG will be performing better in IMAX than JW would have.

TG has an IMAX advantage over JW this weekend and will still perform worse. That necessarily means JW would have done better (unless you're saying more people would choose to watch TG in IMAX than JW in IMAX, which also seems false because JW had a large profit share out of IMAX).

• Like 1

Minions is getting IMAX in several OS countries so it is possible. 

Wow, that MM2 number is terrible. The reviews are in the same ballpark, so I was kinda expecting MM2 to do about as well as MM, minus a smidgen for the lack of novelty. Looks like its not going to do over 5 days what MM did over 3. Not good.

Minions is getting IMAX in several OS countries so it is possible. 

Definitely think that's more likely than JW getting screens back. Universal has more to gain at this point from Minions opening weekend than it does from JW's fifth weekend.

Wow, that MM2 number is terrible. The reviews are in the same ballpark, so I was kinda expecting MM2 to do about as well as MM, minus a smidgen for the lack of novelty. Looks like its not going to do over 5 days what MM did over 3. Not good.

McC is the missing ingredient.

• Like 1

Is it really that surprising, though? Magic Mike wasn't exactly a movie that left the door open for a sequel (at least not without contradicting the ending of the first film in the process). That it's looking at a $75M total or thereabouts against a rather small budget makes it a huge success IMO.

• Like 3

If JW does more than TG this weekend without IMAX (which seems highly likely), I don't see how you can say TG will be performing better in IMAX than JW would have.

TG has an IMAX advantage over JW this weekend and will still perform worse. That necessarily means JW would have done better (unless you're saying more people would choose to watch TG in IMAX than JW in IMAX, which also seems false because JW had a large profit share out of IMAX).

JW would've done a smidge more (it'll do high 20s this weekend vs mid 20s for Termy), but the numbers are too similar that for this five-day period it doesn't really matter. Not to mention as a new release the IMAX boost goes straight to Paramount as opposed to a fourth-week film. There will be a gulf next weekend, though, which is why I think Minions will get it.

To me the reviews seem to be much worse. Many considered the first film surprisingly deep, it appears that the same can't be said about the second one based upon what I've seem

To me the reviews seem to be much worse. Many considered the first film surprisingly deep, it appears that the same can't be said about the second one based upon what I've seem

Good. i dont need deep shit. that's not what we want. Get to dancing. There reason why they got A-  cinamascore instead B like the last the 1st film. We were trick lol. even the bad reviews aren't even that bad. most say it took what the fans complained about to consideration.

Edited by Dragon

What parent would pay $19 for their kid to see a 3D IMAX show when they can get their kids discounted RealD 3D tickets?

The theaters by me there's only a $2 difference between 3D and imax 3D.