#ED

Wednesday Actuals: IO - 5M, JW - 3.7M

Minions 52% on Movietickets. IO down to 7%. IO might drop more than 50% this weekend.

EDIT - 54% now

Numbers logic: this doesn't mean IO is getting less presales than it did two days ago, this means Minions is getting more. 

• Like 6

Tom Cruise was huge in the 90s. I believe A Few Good Men, The Firm, Mission Impossible and Jerry Maguire adjust to 300m or near it. Though Days of Thunder flopped so it shows no actor is perfect

I thought Days Of Thunder just did decent. I know Far And Away was a flop for him.
  • Like 1

I liked Lucy and Taken. Though I think Lucy was better and more interesting.

(Now Taken 3, on the other hand, was a horrendous movie.)

I like both movies but Lucy has a more unique plot to it. I don't know if I should see Taken 3 or wait till it goes $10 around the holidays or something.

I don't know if I should see Taken 3 or wait till it goes $10 around the holidays or something.

Consider yourself warned that it's poorly made and shot. The action scenes are actually ugly.

I had to turn away from some of the action scenes in Taken 3 as they are shot so badly, it makes your eyes hurt. (may sound stupid but thousands of others also said the same thing)

Are we about to have a bitchfest about the boomers?

Tying into the complaints about the state of film, I actually believe that the boomers were the generation that drove the character-driven and introspective dramas and thrillers and suspense and "real world"/"non-action"/"serious"/"grown up" stuff up to the 90s. When they retired and stopped going to the movies is right about when that stuff disappeared outside of the Oscar season.

At least that's my theory - my parents used to leave me and my brother with a babysitter when they went to the movies, and they weren't seeing action movies, they were seeing dramas, the kind that only show up around October these days.

Edited by TServo2049
  • Like 1

At the risk of reinforcing the GrumpyTele™ stereotype...

LUCY is awful on almost every level, aside from maybe the first 15 minutes. It's not thematically interesting, it's dumb but not idiotic enough to be a guilty pleasure, and even the action isn't particularly special given Besson's background.

• Like 4

The boomers are the generation that drove the character-driven and introspective dramas and thrillers and suspense and "real world"/"non-action"/"serious"/"grown up" stuff up to the 90s. When they retired and stopped going to the movies, that's when that stuff disappeared outside of the Oscar season. At least that's my theory - my parents used to leave me and my brother with a babysitter when they went to the movies, and they weren't seeing action movies, they were seeing dramas.

Fair points. I think their movie expenditure was just one example of how the boomers liked to spend money in general. $18 trillion national debt largely caused by boomer politicians over the last 25 years. Toy industry sure as heck benefited from boomers splurging on their spoiled brat kids (like me lol).

• Like 1

Tying into the complaints about the state of film, I actually believe that the boomers were the generation that drove the character-driven and introspective dramas and thrillers and suspense and "real world"/"non-action"/"serious"/"grown up" stuff up to the 90s. When they retired and stopped going to the movies is right about when that stuff disappeared outside of the Oscar season.

At least that's my theory - my parents used to leave me and my brother with a babysitter when they went to the movies, and they weren't seeing action movies, they were seeing dramas, the kind that only show up around October these days.

That reminds me of a scene from an ep of Married with Children where Peg and Al come home from a rare movie night where they go to see "A Few Good Men". I remember thinking that was a huge sign of the times where the writers chose that movie specifically because that's what the people their age were flocking to at the time, and not major action blockbusters which I found kind of fascinating. Our entire movie populace is so less divided and broken up now.

• Like 1

I like Taken for the scene where Liam asks some thugs how they say 'sugar' in their language and then continues to hilariously bastardize the pronunciation :lol:

I hope that's a good enough reason for coolio :P

Something I forgot: The same period when these people stopped going to the movies is when TV got more interesting. The 2000s feels like an inflection point - my parents' moviegoing declined in the 00s, but they were definitely watching stuff like The Sopranos and 24. So in a way, many of the things that disappeared from movies simply migrated to TV.

It's actually interesting, TV used to be derided as mass-appeal garbage, the "boob tube", watered down sitcom and procedural and action pap. It was more nuanced than that, but it does feel like the mid-budget, mid-range, programmers of the past morphed into the high-grade TV stuff of now. And movies are the mass-appeal stuff left over.

Edited by TServo2049
  • Like 2