CJohn

Weekend Estimates: Minions - 115.2M; JW - 18.1M; Inside Out - 17.1M; Gallows - 10M; Self/Less - 5.4M; MMXXL - 9.6M; T5 - 13.7M

The new system of picking up directors today feels shoddy as hell. Young reliable dude (always a straight white dude) who just made their shiny first movie gets shoved into a studio system of producers having full control of his output. Marc Webb clearly seemed to resent it, as did Trevorrow, as will whoever's doing the next Spider-Man or Marvel movie. Same thing seems to be happening to Josh Trank right now (who is being brutalized by the internet in pretty disgusting ways this summer). Rian Johnson makes more sense because he made three films, each "bigger" than the last, and all displaying an impeccable sense of directing. 

ED I'm updating the Thursday thread :)

Edited by Gopher
  • Like 9

Shaun the Sheep not hitting $100 million will not say anything bad about the film. Regardless of quality it's the epitome of a film being commercially bound by its concept and/or execution.

Yeah, stop motion sheep! I'm not sure kids in the US will be interested in them outside of bed mattress commercials. :ph34r:

The new system of picking up directors today feels shoddy as hell. Young reliable dude (always a straight white dude) who just made their shiny first movie gets shoved into a studio system of producers having full control of his output. Marc Webb clearly seemed to resent it, as did Trevorrow, as will whoever's doing the next Spider-Man or Marvel movie. Same thing seems to be happening to Josh Trank right now (who is being brutalized by the internet in pretty disgusting ways this summer). Rian Johnson makes more sense because he made three films, each "bigger" than the last, and all displaying an impeccable sense of directing. 

Those newcomer directors get a HUGE boost to their careers after directing their first mega blockbuster though. I don't think many of them mind being lead around by the studio. :P

Fact of life: Everything Aardman does is awesome.

Minions coming for a record opening. Go Sandy!

Aardman has a strong track record, they've had duds like Flushed Away but that one suffered because of interference from DWA but Chicken Run, Curse of the Wererabbit, Arthur Christmas, Pirates! and Shaun are all great. Although CG is great, the things they've done with stop motion is impressive due to the limitations

• Like 1

Given a director already bolted Wonder Woman due to "artistic differences," DCCU will certainly fall prey to it as well. Heck, at least the Rocky Cinematic Universe made a somewhat inspired choice in who they selected to direct Creed. But, yeah, I don't like it either.

Aardman has a strong track record, they've had duds like Flushed Away but that one suffered because of interference from DWA but Chicken Run, Curse of the Wererabbit, Arthur Christmas, Pirates! and Shaun are all great. Although CG is great, the things they've done with stop motion is impressive due to the limitations

Curse of the Ware-Rabbit is so good

• Like 7

JW's plot idea was all Trevorrow. Spielberg had a different plan. He said this in several interviews. That is his movie. TASM tho, lol. Poor Marc Webb. Josh Trank apparently made a terrible movie that now FOX is trying to save.