CJohn

Weekend Estimates: Minions - 115.2M; JW - 18.1M; Inside Out - 17.1M; Gallows - 10M; Self/Less - 5.4M; MMXXL - 9.6M; T5 - 13.7M

Why everyone says IO gets a good number? That drop is bigger than MU's when DM2 opens.

Because it had insanely good weekdays.

And Minions is a $120-130 million opener that's direct competition. DM2 burned $59 million in demand by Friday. 

$5.3 million Fri means a 39-43% drop for the weekend. Which is phenomenal for IO considering Minions is its biggest competition for the entire summer. 

You expect over a 21% increase from Friday business in July? :o

Minions had a lot of sellouts yesterday, so I think there'll be spillover today. 

I wouldn't be shocked by 42-43, but I guess I'm bullish  :P

IO/JW should have more than a 21% Sat bump, though, due to how deflated their Fri bump was. 

So Baumer, about the "maximum 45%" drop for Terminator? How's that working out? :P

Looks like i was wrong. Not the first time.

The first Despicable Me basically stayed flat between Fri/Sat business. If the same is true for Minions (and giving it a 20% Sunday dip) it would do 118.2 and The Turd would remain unchallenged.

• Like 3

3 words. Gnomeo. And. Juliet.

Hercules and Gnomeo are the only 2 movies in history with a final gross between 99-99.99M

Disney didn't make Gnomeo, so it is understandable why they sort of abandoned it before it hit 100m. ZERO excuses for Hercules though. :rolleyes:

It's mahnamahna. He ALWAYS overestimates IO. :P

He was talking about Minions.

And how am I overestimating?

Deflated Saturday last weekend + subdued Fri bump for IO/JW + Minions burning off considerable demand on Friday=larger-than-usual Sat bump for IO/JW.

IO also had a solid Sat bump the weekend before July 4th. 

30-35% isn't that ridiculous with how small the Fri bump was. 

The first Despicable Me basically stayed flat between Fri/Sat business. If the same is true for Minions (and giving it a 20% Sunday dip) it would do 118.2 and The Turd would remain unchallenged.

Yeah, I said $118m 30 minutes ago.

God Gopher agreed :D

Edited by bladels

Both of them will probably be 40% or more jumps today. An opener jumping that much (over 20%) would be pretty crazy.

Agreed. Minions isn't good enough for me to want a crazy 20-25% jump anyways  :P

If 40%+? 

IO/JW get at least $7.5 million for Sat. JW probably closer to $8 million since it's had solid Sat holds its entire run except last Sat. 

That would mean at least $18 million for both. $19-20 million in JW's case. Absolutely phenomenal. 

If this still can't beat Shrek 3 even with inflation+3D+PLF, all it shows is how much of a beast Shrek 3 was.

As I said before, my opinion is that Minions is cinematic cotton candy and is no more/less "deserving" of the record as Shrek 3 was.

Universal is estimating that Minions, the 3-D prequel to their Despicable Me franchise is heading to an astonishing $120.9M opening weekend. The CG animated flick from Illumination Entertainment marched into 4,301 venues Friday, the most North American venues in Universal's history, and left with $46.2M for the day.

• Like 1

Yeah, but DM2 burned up a lot of demand on Wed/Thur. And regarding July, if this is mainly a kids movie, the argument that they are out of school so they can go when they want is not exactly true. The parents must take them. Maybe its different in the US, but I though the non-working days are only Sat/Sun. I expect a bump today from Fri-Midnights.

Edited by James
  • Like 1

If this still can't beat Shrek 3 even with inflation+3D+PLF, all it shows is how much of a beast Shrek 2 was.

As I said before, my opinion is that Minions is cinematic cotton candy and is no more/less "deserving" of the record as Shrek 3 was.

FIFY

Yeah, but the first DM burned up a lot of demand on Wed/Thur. And regarding July, if this is mainly a kids movie, the argument that they are out of school so they can go when they want is not exactly true. The parents must take them. Maybe its different in the US, but I though the non-working days are only Sat/Sun. I expect a bump today from Fri-Midnights.

DM1 didn't open on a Wednesday in the US.