grim22

Aladdin live action movie | 24 MAY 2019 | Disney | 7th most profitable movie of 2019. Disney does it again!

14 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

Seriously every thread I go into turns into some dumpster fire over some sort of political, social, cultural, ethnic issue that is somehow latched on to a film to either to make the film look good or bad. 

Like I know I have contributed to this myself in some threads but even I think lately its gone way overboard. 😒😪

Agreed, but now that you've said that people will label you as a racist/sexist/misogynist or what have you. We should ALWAYS be talking about these subjects, otherwise we're just privileged, intolerant douchebags.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, JB33 said:

Agreed, but now that you've said that people will label you as a racist/sexist/misogynist or what have you. We should ALWAYS be talking about these subjects, otherwise we're just privileged, intolerant douchebags.

Look I would love to play the both sides are at fault game too but I am just getting a bit sick of this in each thread. 

They're clearly going back and perfecting the look of the Genie in post after the backlash before they continue with the marketing. Smith himself seems fine in the role from what little we've seen, but his entire appearance is uncanny valley-esque to the point that it's ugly and jarring.

24 minutes ago, Alli said:

if dumbo is doing as much as 80M OW, Aladdin is gonna smash. i believe the trailer is gonna change the perception

Dumbo ain’t doing $80M, more like $50-60M. They better release a trailer soon, marketing has been invisible and the movie comes out in two months. Avengers: Endgame deserves it obviously but what movie exactly is this movie hiding? We know the story, is Will Smith’s Genie that horrendous?

2 minutes ago, JGAR4LIFE said:

Dumbo ain’t doing $80M, more like $50-60M. They better release a trailer soon, marketing has been invisible and the movie comes out in two months. Avengers: Endgame deserves it obviously but what movie exactly is this movie hiding? We know the story, is Will Smith’s Genie that horrendous?

At the recent shareholder meeting they apparently showed a bit of Aladdin and the Genie supposedly looked MUCH better. Yes, they NEED to have a trailer out for Dumbo. If they don't then we can definitely say this movie is completely doomed with no hope whatsoever unless it is moved to 2020. Dumbo is the time to show FULL trailers for Toy Story 4 and Aladdin. Once April comes it's all about End Game and the new Star Wars trailer. Even with Lion King they can afford to wait until late April or early May for a full trailer. That movie's got enough steam behind it already to relax, but Aladdin already has major catching up to do.

• Like 1

I can’t see them not putting a trailer with Aladdin, the question is between it, TS4 and Malificent 2 is how the orders will be for 2D/3D/IMAX attachments.

The most important thing is the second trailer also needs to showcase the music and pick up significant buzz. They need to restore confidence after Genie and Jafar. Buzz isn’t the be all end all of family films (Dragon 3 (Don’t @ me, idk) had about the same trailer views as Lego 2 but outgrossed it and same for Grinch (which had notoriously low buzz) and Ralph 2, Uglydolls which has 15M for ad shenanigans I guess) but in a highly competitive summer for family attention you need All Eyes On You. I said it once and I will say it again, there’s should be no way Aladdin under $350M DOM should be a possibility let alone with something as bizzare as a damn Pikachu spin-off should have a chance at all (which no one thought would do over Angry Birds until the first trailer). 

Edited by YourMother the Edgelord

1 hour ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

I can’t see them not putting a trailer with Aladdin, the question is between it, TS4 and Malificent 2 is how the orders will be for 2D/3D/IMAX attachments.

The most important thing is the second trailer also needs to showcase the music and pick up significant buzz. They need to restore confidence after Genie and Jafar. Buzz isn’t the be all end all of family films (Dragon 3 (Don’t @ me, idk) had about the same trailer views as Lego 2 but outgrossed it and same for Grinch (which had notoriously low buzz) and Ralph 2, Uglydolls which has 15M for ad shenanigans I guess) but in a highly competitive summer for family attention you need All Eyes On You. I said it once and I will say it again, there’s should be no way Aladdin under $350M DOM should be a possibility let alone with something as bizzare as a damn Pikachu spin-off should have a chance at all (which no one thought would do over Angry Birds until the first trailer). 

bet you they don't even have the music in the film lmao. Guy Ritchie, what a madman.

16 minutes ago, JGAR4LIFE said:

1. People barely know that it’s coming out

2. Will Smith Genie was a social media embarrassment 

Sorry, but this is really stupid, and I'll show you why, like 1+1=2.

See 2. in your statement? It directly contradicts 1. The amount of ridicule the trailer genie was supposedly getting on the net is DIRECTLY PROPORTIONATE to the extent of this movie's online awareness.

There. Is. No. Bad. Exposure.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, JGAR4LIFE said:

Another film that got headlines and generated a ton of buzz, and much like Aladdin currently, bad buzz.

so you think if it had no headlines and no marketing and no awareness, Ghostbusters 2016 would have grossed more than 128M at the box office?

Edited by Avatree

Thanks, Tree.

And another, much more recent and transparent example... Does ANYone at that point consider that all the MONSTROUS negative buzz hurt Captain Marvel One Little Bit?? LOL, look at its OW numbers. If the free online publicity by the countless, voluntarily working haters changed them at all - it only increased them. :)

Edited by shayhiri

21 minutes ago, Avatree said:

so you think if it had no headlines and no marketing and no awareness, Ghostbusters 2016 would have grossed more than 128M at the box office?

A ton of marketing or not, bad exposure is still bad exposure. If online awareness towards a product is bad, then what’s good about the attention it’s getting? Ghostbusters 2016 looked bad (and was bad), no matter how much Sony promoted the film.

I apologize for not making my statement clear, but with Aladdin I have yet to see a trailer in a movie theater and people I know outside of the internet don’t know that it’s coming out. We’re almost 2 months away, it’s abnormal for a Disney blockbuster of that size. 

The only things we knew were a couple of whispers in the wind about it not looking good before early test screenings inside the studio were positive. But then we got those EW pics and then the Genie was revealed and everyone on the net freaked out. The special look that Disney uploaded has way more dislikes than likes.

I know we can’t measure audience interest based on how a film is received online but so far this has been on a very rocky road. Unless we finally see a epic trailer, this film is bound to disappoint at the box office.

3 minutes ago, JGAR4LIFE said:

I know we can’t measure audience interest based on how a film is received online but so far this has been on a very rocky road. Unless we finally see a epic trailer, this film is bound to disappoint at the box office.

That is for sure. And Disney will deserve it, if they proceed in such manner.