WrathOfHan

Weekend Estimates: Ant-Man 58.04 | Minions 50.24 | Trainwreck 30.24 | IO 11.66 | JW 11.36 (Page 88)

The rest of the summer seems fairly subdued. Embrace the soft-ish but respectable numbers before the horror of late August/early September comes along.

Pretty much go to sleep until November comes.

Anyone else surprised at how weak of a hold that is for Minions? Wasn't expecting it but I guess big budget animation outside of Pixar is a lot more front loaded thesedays.

Nope, I've been saying from the start Minions would have weak legs.

How is this hypocrisy? I like what i like. I dont care what others think of my choices. Youre free to like what you like. Some people like the redundancy of Marvel some people like Friday the 13th.

How do you NOT see the hypocrisy & then agree with me?!

You're calling out Marvel for "sameness, over&over&over again".

I point out at least two franchises you like(which is fine) which do exactly that. Sameness and repetition of plot and question "what hypocrisy".

THEN, note that some like the redundancy.

Calling out repetition or redundancy and citing "you're tired of it" while embracing it elsewhere IS the hypocrisy.

You don't have to like each film in the MCU but don't act like the formula is the problem when most franchises succeed based on a narrative formula.(Bond, Star Wars(every film is Rebel vs Sith), F&F, Rocky, IJ, Jurassic(kids are always loose & in danger), STrek,  etc etc etc)

Arrow and Flash are connected to each other so it makes little sense to watch one without watching the other. And Legends of Tomorrow is coming in January to join them.

Lol sorry about such a late reply but say I were to watch Flash and Arrow together, how would I do it? 1 episode of arrow one of flash? 1 season of arrow one of flash?

And is it the same with shield and carter? Are they connected?

Lol sorry about such a late reply but say I were to watch Flash and Arrow together, how would I do it? 1 episode of arrow one of flash? 1 season of arrow one of flash?

And is it the same with shield and carter? Are they connected?

SHIELD and Carter are not connected. They are in different eras. They are connected to the movies.

Yeah, I would say see one of The Flash and one of The Arrow, in that order (Flash was on Tuesdays and Arrow on Wednesdays). 

Edited by CJohn
  • Like 1

SHIELD and Carter are not connected. They are in different eras. They are connected to the movies.

Yeah, I would say see one of The Flash and one of The Arrow, in that order (Flash was on Tuesdays and Arrow on Wednesdays).

Awesome! Thanks!

Interesting post on imdb (yes, sometimes you still get them) about how Marvel conducts business.

I think the real giveaway is the extreme difficulty Marvel has keeping the directors they originally announced for their films - around half of their films were originally announced with different directors who left because of 'creative differences' in a pattern going back years before Edgar Wright - and their difficulty holding onto the ones they get. Jon Favreau (himself a replacement for Len Wiseman) was very vocal about his concerns about Iron Man 2 when they announced a release date before they even had a treatment and walked away from the franchise as soon as he could, Whedon's comments on leaving the Avengers franchise have been peppered with between-the-lines comments about problems with Marvel, while when Kenneth Branagh (a replacememt for Matthew Vaughn after Guillermo del Toro's ideas were rejected) wouldn't take what was effectively a pay cut for Thor 2 (due to a longer schedule he'd have actually had a lower weekly rate of pay) unattributable stories started appearing about how he was supposedly out of his depth with the FX work on the first film and they didn't really need him for the sequel anyway. Marvel's control freakery and parsimony is well documented in the trade press, which seems to be why they've moved towards TV sitcom directors and directors who have a few underperforming indies that don't give them much muscle. 

They're very much the epitome of the management-driven old school production system. As Favreau quipped when promoting Iron Man 2, they give you absolute freedom to do what they want. 

Edited by Bishop54
  • Like 1

Anyone else surprised at how weak of a hold that is for Minions? Wasn't expecting it but I guess big budget animation outside of Pixar is a lot more front loaded thesedays.

I'm not surprised.  The movie is really weak and I could see some parents being rather uncomfortable with their kids watching some of the scenes.   

People act like it's somehow unprecedented that production executives have had more control than the directors. But that last sentence reminds that this is not without precedent. We're just so used New Hollywood ideal of the director being the auteur (itself not the rule until the 70s, when the old studio system essentially collapsed) that this stuff looks like some sort of dangerous new trend of commerce stomping out art. It's not.

• Like 1

Interesting post on imdb (yes, sometimes you still get them) about how Marvel conducts business.

They're very much the epitome of the management-driven old school production system. As Favreau quipped when promoting Iron Man 2, they give you absolute freedom to do what they want.

DC is gonna be like this as well.
  • Like 1