WrathOfHan

Weekend Estimates: Ant-Man 58.04 | Minions 50.24 | Trainwreck 30.24 | IO 11.66 | JW 11.36 (Page 88)

We've also seen the opposite side of the coin with Terminator Genisys relying so heavily on nostalgia and revisiting/rewriting the past (and ignoring previous sequels) as well, so maybe there's hope of this as a cautionary tale. Hollywood just isn't very good at learning the right lessons a lot of the time, and personally speaking, I didn't enjoy JW and probably wouldn't like Terminator Genisys (I didn't see it), I still do not want this nostalgia dependent model becoming an even more dominant trend.

Well you're in bad luck because it's definitely going to become a more dominant trend (but it was going to become that even before JW broke out). 

This is nothing new, it's a trend that has been building for years - it's no secret that known commodities are easier to sell to the audience than something completely original and new. It also doesn't help that there were some major original-tentpole bombs recently (Jupiter Ascending, Tomorrowland etc). 

But I think the basic fault here is equating box office success with the level of quality. I always know the best movies in a certain year will not be the huge blockbusters. When was the last time a huge blockbuster won a best picture Academy Award? LOTR? 

The blockbuster business is a business, nothing else, and the studios are more likely to go for something that's a safer bet to bring their investment back (and then some) than take a huge risk. Whether it's a sequel, a reboot, a nostalgic franchise being dragged back to life... that's just the time we live in right now. As long as the movie is good I'm fine with it. Mad Max was also a long dead franchise... so by that logic it's also part of the problem.

An original movie can be terrible. A reboot/sequel can be great. I care more about watching good movies than about their source material and how original it is.

How do you have that much space for just a toy collection?

Oh that's just in my bedroom - mostly Boxed JP stuff. There's another room exclusively for loose JP toys and other stuff such as WWE, Batman Animated, Godzilla, etc.

Jay is gonna have a heart attack when he sees this.

funny cause that's my name too :P well the spelling's different - it's Jai in my case Edited by scoobysaurus
  • Like 1

Avatar's 3D isn't that good tbh. Gravity was a much better experience in IMAX 3D. Avatar was a good cinematic experience as well but it's mainly due to its amazing visuals. I liked it in 2D a lot. ....

Avatar is for me, a 2D-sighted person, still the ONLY movie I am able to see (reduced to normal 3D-sighted people) 3D. That counts for my non-cinema life too

Till Avatar it was 'known' around 3% of the world's population are 2D-sighted, since Avatar it looks like 15% (I wasn't the only one who sat 'slightly' shocked in the cinema)

I do nowadays know in RL and via the Net a lot of people like me, we all try rather actively to find other movies with the same AHHHHH effect, a few movies seem to have some scenes... where some are able to see the 3D.

Gravity is not on said list

Didn't realize until today how much of the international market IO still has to open in. it has a very strange release schedule - literally almost 4 months from first to last rollout.

it hasn't opened yet in alot of the European and Asian markets.

UK/Ireland is next weekend. Japan was this last weekend. Heck Germany and Austria it doesn't open until October 1st.

Depending on the film / budget /... and country I know of at least 2 years possible between the 1st and last release. Or they never get one, also a possibility. Depends also on regional other movies, how e.g. comedy is precieved (a cultural thingy...) and so on

I own both on 3d blueray and can tell you that you're wrong. The 3d is more noticeable in Avatar, has more depth

Wholeheartedly agree (Hi Jessie, see, again something we agree on, even if I was so long away)

You said the script is tight as fuck. That implies you think it's a lot stronger than "serviceable." I enjoy the movie for what it is and it certainly has some amazing action sequences, but it did not need to be almost 3 hours long.

Nope, that does not imply ..... It's IMHO like building a high house, without a general frame, some basic, carrying walls no shiny surface or other inner walls, windows design or interieur will be enough to highten the quality to something really great

Tight as in "makes perfect sense and unfolds logically at the right moment and at the right place". JC knows the blockbuster recipe and how to cook it to get a satisfying script. JW doesn't even get the basics tight.

Agree in general to your way to view basic script rules, no opinion about JW as I haven't seen it yet (I saw one trailer), I did not even have time to rewatch a DVD

Can't wait for SW and BvS enter the domestic top 5 elite club.

I do not see the top 5 BOs as 'eilte' club, I even think that is not a good idea to issue labels like that in connection to BO

Slightly ot, but I just noticed on Box office Mojo, The Avengers (2012) OS gross went up by  $1m. I remember something similar happening in 2012 with the last Harry Potter film, but by a bit more $$.

I know of several Multi-MCU-Movies-Watching-Marathons, I am guessing they do add up a bit

Oh shit hahaha that's next level, wow.

Thank you! :) Next on my list (besides completing the toy collection) is a silver G63 AMG with blue JW circle logos on the front doors. I just can't get enough of the franchise, I live and breathe Jurassic Park heck if there was anything outside of my family and loved ones that I would die for it would be Jurassic Park.

• Like 1