WrathOfHan

Weekend Estimates: Ant-Man 58.04 | Minions 50.24 | Trainwreck 30.24 | IO 11.66 | JW 11.36 (Page 88)

Disaster. DM3 cancelled. A franchise film so obviously it's more frontloaded? Nah, it's just shit. Yeah.

Exactly. So much over reaction. This franchise remains the only non Disney franchise to come near to 300 million DOM in 2 or more films. And it still has a decent shot of hitting 1 billion WW

Edited by MinaTakla

In worst cases it will earn around 340-350 million.

Which would be bad for an animated movie with an opening weekend this big. And i am saying this in general. I know Universal spent a lot less on its (marketing-excluded) Budget and is going to make big profit through its WorldWide gross. But still for any x or y animated movie to end with a lesser than 3.2 or atleast 3.1 multi means that either it had bad WOM or it just had a limited fan base, most of which saw it early (which couldn't really be said to be the case for a movie making close to 350m).

Which would be bad for an animated movie with an opening weekend this big. And i am saying this in general. I know Universal spent a lot less on its (marketing-excluded) Budget and is going to make big profit through its WorldWide gross. But still for any x or y animated movie to end with a lesser than 3.2 or atleast 3.1 multi means that either it had bad WOM or it just had a limited fan base, most of which saw it early (which couldn't really be said to be the case for a movie making close to 350m).

340 million would be a 3 x mutiple, which is very decent. 350 would be maybe 3.2 and I won't rule this out just yet.

Agree that the WW gross would be much more profitable.

340 million would be a 3 x mutiple, which is very decent. 350 would be maybe 3.2 and I won't rule this out just yet.

Agree that the WW gross would be much more profitable.

3.2 is 370m.

3.1 would be almost 360m.

347 would be a 3 multiple.

I honestly couldn't care less about another cookie cutter Marvel superhero movie.

Jurassic Park 5 and Furious 8 will at least offer something different. Another gimmick!? Please. I'd rather have another gimmick for JP and FF every few years than another Marvel gimmick every 14 days. I wonder when they're going to run out of animals and insects for their future superheroes.

Cookie cutter? lmao.

Winter Soldier, GotG, and Ant-Man are all different genres with different themes. You would never associate these movies without Marvel connecting them.

And when you're dealing with escaping dinosaurs and car centered cop adventures you're dealing with a much smaller sandbox.

Dinosaurs can only escape so many times. Cars can be used in exciting stunts in only so many creative ways.

On the other hand, Marvel is vast and diverse. You have African kings who lead advanced indigenous tribes and blonde female soldiers who fly outer space. You have psychedelic horror themed sorcerers and nerdy teenagers who fights mad scientists.

Marvel isn't just a bandwagon you jump on because it makes money. These characters have a long history each with fanbases that span generations.

• Like 12

I can't believe people say Fast & Furious franchise have some things "different". The whole 7 movies have almost exactly the same plot.

Jurassic World is a fun movie but it barely has a story.

Edited by bladels

Disaster. DM3 cancelled. A franchise film so obviously it's more frontloaded? Nah, it's just shit. Yeah.

Shrek 2, Toy Story 3, DM2 and many other franchise animated films didn't seem to be affected a lot by that... Oh, obviously we have Cars 2 and Shrek 3. But something tells me their frontloadedness wasn't just because of their franchise nature. So, seemingly Minions is in the later league, which, some say, only includes the not-so-loved movies...

Edited by Infernus
  • Like 3

Shrek 2, Toy Story 3, DM2 and many other franchise animated films didn't seem to be affected a lot by that... Oh, obviously we have Cars 2 and Shrek 3. But something tells me their frontloadedness wasn't just because of their franchise nature. So, seemingly Minions is in the later league, which, some say, only includes the not-so-loved movies...

we also have to remember Minions isn't really a DM3..it's a spin-off so more like DM2.5..A spinoff that will make almost 340 or 350. So I say it's not a TS3 but also not a Shrek 3 which earned a 2.6 and not a 3 that Minions will get.

• Like 1

Exactly. So much over reaction. This franchise remains the only non Disney franchise to come near to 300 million DOM in 2 or more films. And it still has a decent shot of hitting 1 billion WW

Over-reaction? I was only stating what I feel, and I believe I wasn't saying anything groundless or non-reasonable. The over reaction, albeit not to the numbers but to our posts, is this - 

Flop bomb fraud JW. All smoke and mirrors. Universal should be ashamed.

we also have to remember Minions isn't really a DM3..it's a spin-off so more like DM2.5..A spinoff that will make almost 340 or 350. So I say it's not a TS3 but also not a Shrek 3 which earned a 2.6 and not a 3 that Minions will get.

Yeah, not a Shrek 3, hopefully its not that bad. But its multiplier would still place it in the bottom 10 %. 

Over-reaction? I was only stating what I feel, and I believe I wasn't saying anything groundless or non-reasonable. The over reaction, albeit not to the numbers but to our posts, is this - 

Sorry I'm not referring to you in particular, am just saying there have been so many posts about wanting Minions to fail, even with its 115 million debut, people kept saying not a record, flop etc.

IO and Minions will make around the same DOM, with Minions making more WW, both are wins in their own right.

Thanks for clarifying your points:)

• Like 1

I can't believe people say Fast & Furious franchise have some things "different". The whole 7 movies have almost exactly the same plot.

You know, I e seen the F&F movies.

Call them silly, call them stupid, call them melodramatic...

But...the same plot?

Have you even seen these movies?

The last three films are practically different genres compare to the first few...let alone the same plot. Ok, a little hyperbole there but really now.

• Like 2

Didn't see this posted yet

http://deadline.com/2015/07/ant-man-trainwreck-amy-schumer-box-office-1201478786/

1). Ant-Man (DIS), 3,856 theaters / $23.4M Fri. / 3-day cume: $59M-$61M / Wk 1

2). Minions (UNI), 4311 theaters (+10)/ $14.5M Fri. (-68%)/ 3-day cume: $47M-$51M (-56-59%)/Total Cume: $214.8M / Wk 2

3). Trainwreck (UNI), 3,158 theaters / $11.3M Fri. / 3-day cume: $29.8M-$31M / Wk 1

4). Jurassic World (UNI), 3,117 theaters (-324) / $3.5M Fri. (-36%) / 3-day cume: $11.8M (-35%) /Total cume: $611.6M/ Wk 6

5). Inside Out (DIS), 3,263 theaters (-381)/ $3.5M Fri. (-37%)/ 3-day cume: $11.7M (-34%) /Total cume: $306.5M/ Wk 5

6). Terminator: Genisys (PAR), 2,814 theaters (-969) / $1.6M Fri. (-60%) / 3-day cume: $5.6M (-60%) / Total cume: $80.6M/ Wk 3

7). Magic Mike XXL (WB), 2,577 theaters (-799)/ $1.7M Fri. (-53%)/ 3-day cume: $4.9M (-49%) /Total cume: $58.7M/ Wk 3

8). Gallows (WB), 2,720 theaters (0) / $1.3M Fri. (-71%)/ 3-day cume: $3.8M (-61%) / Total cume: $17.9M /Wk 2

9). Mr. Holmes (RSA), 363 theaters / $675K Fri. / 3-day cume: $2.4M / Wk 1

10). Ted 2 (UNI), 1,582 theaters (-589)/ $730K Fri. (-59%) / 3-day cume: $2.3M (-59)/ Total cume: $77.1M /Wk 4

Notables
Bajrangdi Bhaijaan (ERO), 256 theaters / $675K Fri. / 3-day cume: $2.1M /Wk 1

Irrational Man (SPC), 5 theaters / $58K Fri. / 3-day cume: $180K /Wk 1

Northern Limit Line (WLGO), 13 theaters / $26K Fri. / 3-day cume: $83K /Wk 1

Stanford Prison Escape (IFC), 2 theaters / $8K Fri. / 3-day cume: $24K /Wk 1

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 2

Yep, bad hold for Minions. Maybe all the haters can finally shut up now that they got their wish.

Ant Man's opening is a 10 on the Yawn Scale.

Still will go for a 340-350 DOM, not bad at all as a total. Let's see where the actuals take it. I think AntMan hurt it.