grim22

Cruddy Weekend Estimates: A-M 24.77m, Pix 24m, Minions 22m, Trainwreck 17.2m, Southpaw 16.5m, PT 12.5m,

This summer it seems like a few movies over-performed big time but pretty much everything else under performed, so instead of having a lot of decent sized hits you either had a major breakout or a disappointment.

2006 also saw that. 2007 was one of the most fun to watch.

This summer it seems like a few movies over-performed big time but pretty much everything else under performed, so instead of having a lot of decent sized hits you either had a major breakout or a disappointment.

There are a few exceptions though... IDK if I'd consider Minions "a disappointment" just because it's not holding well, still gonna make serious bank for Universal. And Ant-Man is only disappointing if you compare it to the rest of the MCU roster.

In terms of what I personally was expecting, only two movies have significantly overperformed, everything else either underperformed or I got right. The two breakout movies, I expected them to break out, just didn't quite expect them to do as well as they have.

Though if we are just talking about what is going to make money for studios, then the summer has been good. Avengers and Ant-Man may have taken big drops or be disappointments from the previous movies, but they are still gonna make tons of money. Hell, even Terminator which supposedly bombed, will still make its money back. Magic Mike and Paper Towns are dropping from their predecessors but they're small-budget studio movies so will still make a lot of profit.

The only proper bomb has been Tomorrowland. Which incidentally I still need to see, hopefully it'll come back to the cinema in a few weeks.

Probably the only BIG dissapointments would be Tomorrowland and Ted 2, for me. Avengers... well it's -27% down from the previous one but this one is crap and all these Marvel movies are just way too similar. What's left then? Terminator: Genisys but nobody really wanted another sequel and when you hire guys like Taylor, Courtney and Clarke as Sarah Connor... LOL. Personally I was expecting 90-110. Magic Mike XXL and Insidious 3 have quite small production budgets so those movies will be fine. And then... Hot Pursuit, Aloha, Entourage and Self/Less?

Summer movies I've seen so far:

AVENGERS: AGE OF ULTRON

MAD MAX: FURY ROAD

SAN ANDREAS

SPY

JURASSIC WORLD

ANT-MAN

MINIONS

Avengers, Mad Max, Jurassic World, Spy and Southpaw for me. Usually I would have at least 9-10 after May-July. Like I wrote before: this summer is awful.

Probably the only BIG dissapointments would be Tomorrowland and Ted 2, for me. Avengers... well it's -27% down from the previous one but this one is crap and all these Marvel movies are just way too similar.

I'll concede the "way too similar" point, but the critical response to AOU says it's not "crap."

As for this weekend: I hope Ant-Man holds on to the top spot, but I wouldn't be shocked to see Minions have a big Saturday and take number one in this weak weekend.

One of the biggest box office surprises in years. 

scarlett_johansson_30.gif

Huh? What?

Just this year, we have had 3 movies with a run nearly atleast 21.7 times more surprising than it - American Sniper, Jurassic World, FF7. It wasn't even the most surprising movie last year, which was such a pathetic year for box-office. It wasn't even the most surprising movie of its summer, for God's sakes, both GotG and Maleficent were much more surprising. I mean, who would have thought 700m+ for Maleficent and that it would end up as nearly the top grossing movie of the summer both domestically and WW, apart from Transformers (WW) and GotG (DOM). And the movie was so bad too...

I think numbers were fine this summer just the overall quality of movies was ridiculously BAD.

Yeah, its like almost the exact opposite of the previous year - Very Bad numbers but a number of good movies.

• Like 4

As far as American Summer releases go, this has been a really down year for me, I've only seen two, IO and JW (what else?). Last year I had seen seen six by the end of July and in 2013, thirteen by the end of July.

• Like 1