grim22

Cruddy Weekend Estimates: A-M 24.77m, Pix 24m, Minions 22m, Trainwreck 17.2m, Southpaw 16.5m, PT 12.5m,

When does IO open in Japan and China?

Last week already opened in Japan (flopped due to rough competition, sadly) and no current release date for China, but it will open there.

Curious to see how much it grossed this weekend in the UK but this seems really disappointing. Starting to wonder if it'll even make much past 700mil global total.

So, with that 320 figure IO officially passes UP's Mojo-Adjusted gross and has now undoubtedly and unarguably passed it in actual admissions too. I personally believe, though, that it must have already passed UP in total admissions some days ago.

I imagine with Shanghai Disneyland opening next year I imagine most Disney films will see a release in China

Yeah Iger's really on record for working with China so that audiences there can see their movies and in turn want to go to the park. So, IO and future releases will definitely be released there.

It just opened in Japan. It didn't have a huge opening up against 2 local animated films but is showing signs it could have some good legs.

It opened in the UK this weekend about on par with UP. Pixar films have very good legs in UK and the reviews are off the charts good there and will have a very nice run. It hasn't really opened huge in any market but has ended with a nice run in almost every market. It will end up somewhere between 400 and 450 which is solid for an original animated movie especially with this subject matter.

• Like 1

Last week already opened in Japan (flopped due to rough competition, sadly) and no current release date for China, but it will open there.

Curious to see how much it grossed this weekend in the UK but this seems really disappointing. Starting to wonder if it'll even make much past 700mil global total.

It did not flop in Japan. It just opened below expectations. Moreover its holding very well there this weekend. Much better than all the other openers from the previous weekend and also much better than other older films, both animated and live action. It will end up above (or atleast close to) Wall-E or Ratatouille there. It has also overperformed in South Korea and is holding well in other markets. Plus China is still an unpredictable variable. Thus, I believe its gonna easily make it past 750m even if not by much distance. 

I swear people were having this exact same conversation in a prior weekend thread and for the life of me I can't remember what the reasoning was.

I didn't see this last week, but I've (probably) seen it here and have else where. If I remember correctly, there was an article from one of the trade pubs back from like 2010 or 2011 (several years ago anyway) where the Chinese censors didn't permit/condone movies with time travel/speculative future type stuff. I've also seen others follow-up saying that the Chinese government has basically abandoned that policy over the years (like the ban of home console video games now being lifted). 

That's why movies like DOFP, and I think stuff like Looper got China releases. In fact, I remember seeing several movies that were released in China over recent years that had time travel/future elements. It just goes to show that these things get so entrenched when trying to speculate on why foreign movies get delayed or unreleased in the Chinese market.