Asyulus

Official Weekend Estimates |MI5 - 56M; Vacation - 14.9M; Ant-Man - 12.6M; Minions - 12.2M; Pixels - 10.4M; Trainwreck - 9.7M| Pg58

Yeah the action in it is great ( and certainly better than anything from Furious 7) but during some of the action sequences you have to kick yourself and remind yourself not to compare it to Ghost Protocol before you can really settle into it.

If you see the way they shoot that bike chase, you will come out thinking that GP is really made for seniors with walking canes.

If you see the way they shoot that bike chase, you will come out thinking that GP is really made for seniors with walking canes.

:huh: I watched the film and the bike chase while awesome has nothing on the burj stunt or the parking garage sequence

Probably nothing is gonna beat the Burj sequence but MI5 have more smaller sequences that all kick ass. Opera sequence was amazing, Morocco rocked and you've got the plane and underwater stunts, not to mention the thrilling third act. Every character had their moments to shine. Can't wait to see it again.

Edited by Alfredstellar
  • Like 2

People here like to wipe their butts with it

No, we wipe our butts with Tom Cruise being unable to fight the villain who is about as physically imposing as an eclair

Edited by 4815162342
  • Like 4

Preview showtimes in OC for the openers:

- Vacation with 75 showtimes 2 days prior to release

- Rogue Nation with 73 showtimes 4 days prior

Baselines for 2 days prior to opening: Pixels 102 (it actually reduced the day of release and ended with 88 - kind of unprecedented), Southpaw with 62, Paper Towns with 57. For 1 day prior to opening: Terminator + Magic Mike 156, Ant-Man 142, Trainwreck 75, Minions 227.  No baselines for 4 days prior.

Rogue Nation looking to do around 5-6M if showtimes increase as expected.

Rogue Nation had ended with roughly 15% lower showtimes than Ant-Man (and didn't have 3D), so 3.5-4M was my final estimate based on that. This week's openers are as follows currently:

Preview showtimes in OC 5 days before release:

- The Gift with 30 showtimes

- Shaun the sheep has no preview shows on Tuesday so far

- Ricki and The Flash with 15 showtimes

- Fantastic Four with 93 showtimes 

Fantastic Four is setting a good pace right now. If it keeps adding showings, it may end with showtimes close to Ant-Man (lower gross due to lack of 3D and IMAX). The Gift and Ricki and the flash both look like 400-500k previews

• Like 1

And I know suspension of disbelief and all that.

But Cruise nose diving in that car at the end of that sequence is such a "fuck you, you'll buy any of this shit" moment to the audience it pisses me off. There's something similar in the new one I guess.

Edited by baumer

But Cruise nose diving in that car at the end of that sequence is such a "fuck you, you'll buy any of this shit" moment to the audience it pisses me off. There's something similar in the new one I guess.

At that point you're so invested and its such a heroic final effort. It totally works

Now what I assume you're referring to in the new one is pretty dumb, not sure how they managed to leave it in the film

Edited by baumer

An awfully rendered CGI

car flipping several times.

Edited by baumer
  • Like 1

I thought train wreck had a chance at 100 mil.

Should get a 3.5x-4x from its $9 million weekend due to zero competition for comedies and solid WOM plus the inevitable Labor Day boost. Possibly a 4.5x if legs really start to kick in. 

Still thinking:

MI5 - 170 million

Minions - 325 DOM topping Shrek 3 by a close margin

IO - 350

JW - 645

Antman - 150

Pretty much good except AM should do at least $155 million DOM. 

• Like 1

I think it's worth noting that they were in the middle of filming MI5 at the end of January when Paramount pushed the film up FIVE MONTHS. That cut post-production time on the film from nine months to three and a half. The fact that the film was ready at all is amazing, let alone the fact that it's (IMO) the best Mission film.

I can't wait to see the movie. I hope for better Saturday numbers today. Any rough estimates, Gopher or rth?