CJohn

Money Monster | 5/13/16

Just now, Jack Nevada said:

Actually, that makes sense. This totally looks like one of those forgettable "grown-up" movies from like 1996, expect that movie would've made 120M for some reason. 

Because it starred Julia Roberts

Back in the days when Will Smith or Tom Hanks just had to sign on to a movie and it locked in 100M

Just now, Chewy said:

Because it starred Julia Roberts

Back in the days when Will Smith or Tom Hanks just had to sign on to a movie and it locked in 100M

And it'd be some bullshit too! Like boring-ass legal dramas and stuff. Looking at the BOM yearly charts you can see the 90s was kind of a hellscape for Hollywood movies. 

Just now, CJohn said:

It is opening to ok-ish numbers here.

Neighbors 2 is bombing, tho. It will open with half of the first lmao. 

It looks awful, I thought the trailers for the first one were funny and the movie was okay but this one looks like some Daddy's Home type shit

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John Marston said:

Julia was a draw. She got a big budget Lifetime movie like Sleeping With the Enemy to 100m and a boring as shit thriller like The Pelican Brief to 100m. Clooney and Foster were never really draws though. 

They were draws, they just weren't superstars like Julia.  Like most things in life it's not all or nothing, there are gradations.

Edited by TalismanRing

5 minutes ago, Chewy said:

It looks awful, I thought the trailers for the first one were funny and the movie was okay but this one looks like some Daddy's Home type shit

I wasn't a big fan of the marketing but I plan on checking out sometime. Tbh I am more curious to see Money Monster, specially after the good reviews (I was expecting like 40% on RT and it carries a 70%+ right now). 

4 minutes ago, department store basement said:

Sony is having terrible luck this year, I can't see this doing well despite the reviews being better than expected.

They had a solid hit with Miracles from Heaven and their other releases were movies that looked lame and performed accordingly. This could make $50-60M and still be considered a solid performer.

• Like 1