kayumanggi

THE SHALLOWS | 06.24.16 | Sony | final domestic gross: $55,124,043

13 minutes ago, shayhiri said:

I spent a whole month in Thailand this winter - and saw no shark.

Movie is probably far from a documentary.

(PS: Checked, and it's filmed entirely in Australia, strange.)

You are right...this is not a documentary.  Quite the astute observation.

• Like 1

I was afraid of the ocean before...now I'm just terrified of it. Intense from start to finish and when I say intense I mean nails digging into your skin intense. And Lively is fantastic. I'd love to see her get an Oscar nod.

I'll say more when I get home. But I loved it. At least 9/10

• Like 8

You are right...this is not a documentary.  Quite the astute observation.

Just throwing some ideas for future movies (I am usually the man with a vision, in my filed of work).

Say we change the shark with a... hippo!! Wouldn't it be much more terrifyingly original?

Also swap Blake Lively with Melissa McCarthy.

Money in the bank, dude.

Edited by shayhiri

2 minutes ago, shayhiri said:

Just throwing some ideas for future movies (I am usually the man with a vision, in my filed of work).

Say we change the shark with a... hippo!! Wouldn't it be much more terrifyingly original?

Also swap Blake Lively with Melissa McCarthy

Money in the bank, dude.

If you made a film about a hippo that also starred Melissa McCarthy I don't think people would be able to tell the difference between the two. :ph34r:

By the way I can't be the only one who gets annoyed at the people who go "but sharks don't even act like that!!" Yes we know. That's why it's a movie. Not a documentary. It's not like we see super heroes running around the world or the Purge happening every year. Just watch the film and stop being offended over every little thing. 

• Like 1

This is as non spolierish as I can get it.

As I mentioned, it's intense.  It really puts you on edge right from the beginning.  The shot of Lively surfing only to see the shark in the surf, was terrifying.  You know there is going to be an attack and you are on edge until it happens.  I wasn't sure when it was going to happen and the director really does a nice job making you feel uneasy.  I love how they took a beautiful woman like Lively and just wore her down.  By the end of the film, she's not the thin, nubile blond chick from Texas.  What you see in front of you is more like what Sally looks like at the end of Texas Chainsaw Massacre.  

The shark scenes were enough to make me lift my feet up off the floor and I was truly frightened for her.  I think it would have been better if they left the one money shot out of the trailer,  but I understand why it was in there.  It got people interested for sure but if you would have seen the one guy get eaten in mid air, for the first time in the theater, it would have been shocking.  

It's beautifully acted by Blake and she might get some oscar consideration.  She is basically the only one on screen from start to finish.  

And yes, sharks don't act like this, no shit.  It's a movie, not a documentary.  Besides, I don't really care what you guys say, if you are going into the film with that mind set then you shouldn't see it at all.  

I also like what they did with the seagull and I kind of wonder if that was cgi....not sure how you would get a seagull to behave like it did, but a really good addition to the film.

I will see this again for sure.

9/10

• Like 9

15 minutes ago, Baumer said:

This is as non spolierish as I can get it.

As I mentioned, it's intense.  It really puts you on edge right from the beginning.  The shot of Lively surfing only to see the shark in the surf, was terrifying.  You know there is going to be an attack and you are on edge until it happens.  I wasn't sure when it was going to happen and the director really does a nice job making you feel uneasy.  I love how they took a beautiful woman like Lively and just wore her down.  By the end of the film, she's not the thin, nubile blond chick from Texas.  What you see in front of you is more like what Sally looks like at the end of Texas Chainsaw Massacre.  

The shark scenes were enough to make me lift my feet up off the floor and I was truly frightened for her.  I think it would have been better if they left the one money shot out of the trailer,  but I understand why it was in there.  It got people interested for sure but if you would have seen the one guy get eaten in mid air, for the first time in the theater, it would have been shocking.  

It's beautifully acted by Blake and she might get some oscar consideration.  She is basically the only one on screen from start to finish.  

And yes, sharks don't act like this, no shit.  It's a movie, not a documentary.  Besides, I don't really care what you guys say, if you are going into the film with that mind set then you shouldn't see it at all.  

I also like what they did with the seagull and I kind of wonder if that was cgi....not sure how you would get a seagull to behave like it did, but a really good addition to the film.

I will see this again for sure.

9/10

I second everything that was just said here. I'll probably give my own review tomorrow after I've processed it all and stuff. 

Fun fact though....Steve Seagull is actually real and wasn't CGI. Jaume confirmed it and Lively said in an interview that she'd be trying to do an emotional scene and the bird wouldn't shut up so she'd turn to it and start making bird noises and all the crew would look at her like what are you doing. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Baumer said:

I was afraid of the ocean before...now I'm just terrified of it. Intense from start to finish and when I say intense I mean nails digging into your skin intense. And Lively is fantastic. I'd love to see her get an Oscar nod.

I'll say more when I get home. But I loved it. At least 9/10

Awesome! This is all I'm going to read going in because last year I didn't follow any marketing for Ex Machina and It Follows. I liked them a lot because of it (Ex Machina was my favorite movie of 2015). I never watched a trailer for either.

Can't wait to see this. Independence Day was fun but this is probably going to be a really good time too.

• Like 1

Wasn't planning to check this out, quite a few movies I've missed in the last few months that I wanted to see more, but got done with a nasty week and was like F it...checked for a late time, flew out the door and done.  Trailers were pretty solid, and enjoy ocean/shark/surfer stuff because, well I've pretty much lived by the beach my whole life.  Movie was awesome.  I really enjoyed it.  The cinematography was legit - some of the underwater and just great ocean/wave shots did enough for me.  Blake, who I think has done a good job in some things before but also a not so good job in other things was really solid.  It had just enough back story to get you to care for the character, but the main point was the duel.  The shark looked great and boy was it a beast and an asshole.  I mean there wasn't really one shot that I can recall that was like oh, that's Deep Blue Sea CGI shit right there.  There was quite a few times I was kind of on the edge of my seat - and I usually don't get scared of shark stuff - but a few parts were just well done.  Overall, pretty happy I went to check it out.  I might even be a little skittish going out tomorrow.   8.5/10

• Like 3

8 hours ago, shayhiri said:

Also swap Blake Lively with Melissa McCarthy.

Money in the bank, dude.

And they name the killer hippo film - Hungry Hungry Hippos!

On a side note, I'm surprised that haven't done  a killer hippo movie yet.

Edited by Yandereprime101189

So here's my non-spoiler review: 

I want to start off by saying that I was very excited and looking forward to this film. Shark movies are my favorite but I've felt that they have turned into a joke the last few years so a part of me was still skeptical on whether this film could deliver or not. And boy did it deliver. So the movie starts off with a little backstory for the character and at times it had me rolling my eyes but I really do think it's important for that story to be told in order for the audience to connect with Nancy. The great thing about this film is that it really does keep you on the edge of your seat. I had no idea when the attack was going to happen or when the shark would appear. The shark itself is shown very little in the film so I do wish that the clip of the shark jumping out the ocean was saved for the film. Regardless, this film is more like Jaws in that, the shark itself is a mystery. It's not some Sharknado type shark and for a CGI shark it was actually pretty good. The film itself is carried by Blake Lively no question about it. And if she doesn't get any consideration come awards season it'll be very upsetting because this is a film that's great because of her. In a short film, she's able to be funny, vulnerable/emotional and a total bad ass. Truth be told, she probably put more into this performance than most actresses have in their careers and I really believe this is the film that will allow Lively to actually be considered and get those top notch roles. Now if Lively doesn't get praise for her performance, I'll be damned if Steven Seagull isn't praised. That seagull was everything!!! And then when I found out he was real and not CGI my mouth dropped. Best supporting actor at the Oscars better go to this seagull. He was like Wilson from castaway. The seagull and Lively were everything in this film. Lastly, Jaume needs to get a shit ton of credit. He really made this a suspenseful film that is anxiety inducing. His shots were beautiful. Yea there were a few cheesy moments here and there in the film and I probably could have done without the slow motion stuff at times, but the man really put out a well directed film that is visually stunning. 

Overall if you're looking for a good popcorn flick with a very good performance from its lead actress (and a seagull!!) this is the film. In a summer where sequels and blockbusters have taken over, The Shallows was a very refreshing take on something different. 

I liked it even better than I did last night and I would totally watch it again. 

8/10. 

• Like 3

I thought the backstory was actually pretty good. You had to give her a reason for her to want to do some of the things that she was doing and that she ended up doing. So her story and her history I thought was a good one.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, leftmurlin said:

How packed were the theaters?

I saw a 7 PM and it was probably 50% full.  But I was out of town in North Carolina and I saw another Thursday preview there earlier this year and there was MAYBE 5 people so I took it as a very good sign.  

One thing else I'll add, sans spoiler, the entire bouey scene is just BEAUTIFULLY constructed and I feel like hits a home run where a lot of these kind of films would have dropped the ball.

• Like 2