kayumanggi

THE SHALLOWS | 06.24.16 | Sony | final domestic gross: $55,124,043

8 hours ago, Baumer said:

If I had to rank the summer films I've seen, this would be number two behind Neon Demon.

I have not seen Neon Demon , but your glowing reviews have certainly intrigued me. I am watching it this week. :)

As for The Shallows , I have not LOVED a movie this much (enough to watch it in cinemas multiple times) since Avatar.

I am kind of disappointed that the buzz for Lively's shark thriller seems to be dying down; I was truly hoping that it would leg itself  to a 100 million dollar gross. :(

• Like 3

Glad you loved it @Cochofles....keep in mind, it's going to easily hit a 3X and this isn't a film that was ever going to leg it to 100M.  This is a small film for Sony and a 3X is a huge win. :)

• Like 3

I'm such a terrible person that I'm still keeping out hope Ghostbusters doesn't pass the Chinese censors, so Sony releases this instead. 

PS let me add, that I say that thinking The Shallows can actually do pretty well over there for a small budget film. Nothing crazy but fairly decent. 

Edited by Nova

2 hours ago, Cochofles said:

I have not seen Neon Demon , but your glowing reviews have certainly intrigued me. I am watching it this week. :)

As for The Shallows , I have not LOVED a movie this much (enough to watch it in cinemas multiple times) since Avatar.

I am kind of disappointed that the buzz for Lively's shark thriller seems to be dying down; I was truly hoping that it would leg itself  to a 100 million dollar gross. :(

Awesome that you loved it that much! Yeah it's definitely a favorite of mine. 

But as Baumer has said, I don't believe this film was ever going to $100M and I don't think Sony released it with that intention. It would have needed a theater expansion, way more marketing and what not. But do keep in mind itll most likely hit $55M+ which is awesome. Add in foreign numbers and you may just get a number close to $100M total. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Yandereprime101189 said:

Any news about its overseas total yet? I know it's in a few countries now.

No. None have been released. In fact I'm wondering which countries its actually been released in because its release date calendar on IMDb has a few errors on it. 

The Shallows is at $45,829,624 and it should make about 3.00 million if it falls 45% on Monday and then holds at the same number through Thursday.  A slight chance it hits 49M on Thursday.  I am not sure if it can reach 60 now.  I think it would have had to hit 50 by Thurs to make 60.  Now anything 55-60 seems plausible.

On July 10, 2016 at 5:29 AM, Nova said:

Awesome that you loved it that much! Yeah it's definitely a favorite of mine. 

But as Baumer has said, I don't believe this film was ever going to $100M and I don't think Sony released it with that intention. It would have needed a theater expansion, way more marketing and what not. But do keep in mind itll most likely hit $55M+ which is awesome. Add in foreign numbers and you may just get a number close to $100M total. 

The movie is a success...Ryan and Blake are both having a good year.  Ok one slightly more than the other.  

Edited by kowhite
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Nova said:

What are you even talking about....

Reynolds is gonna command 20m a pop for every Deadpool gig at least and you know who does these negotiations with the studio/producers ?

The agent.

And you know why ?

Because the agent gets a nice percentage on this 20m paycheck so yes, Reynold s agent years of debauchery are ahead of him.

Fun times ahead for Reynold s team.

Deadpool is like winning the Hollywood lottery.

I don't want to turn this into a Deadpool thing but the producers have already said that they will keep the budget down for the second one so I would assume this means that Reynolds and the writers and director will take back end deals.  This keeps the budget in check while letting them cash in on the success.

3 minutes ago, Baumer said:

I don't want to turn this into a Deadpool thing but the producers have already said that they will keep the budget down for the second one so I would assume this means that Reynolds and the writers and director will take back end deals.  This keeps the budget in check while letting them cash in on the success.

Ryan is still gonna get paid...upfront.  Just means....they're not gonna blow up like,,,everything.

Ryans backend is still gonna rival what Monica Baccarin did with that strapon though.

Edited by kowhite
  • Like 1

Just now, kowhite said:

Ryan is still gonna get paid...upfront.  Just means....they're not gonna blow up like,,,everything.

But how much do you think he will be paid?  I think he got something like 5 for Deadpool (do you know the amount?)?  And if he were to get 20 million for the sequel, then they are going to start heading into big budget territory.  IMO, he should get a shit load for the sequel, but just basing it off what they said, a back end deal would make more sense.....but you are much more in the know on this stuff than I am.

I've heard he got like 2m for Deadpool.  Honestly, things are fluid but he should totally get 20m for Deadpool 2.  I expect no less.  His Australian friend certianly gets no less.

But his backend will be solid but also contingent on recouping that 20m or whatever I suspect...so Fox has protection.

Lets make no mistake...though,..a Deadpool 2 will be at the very least, fairly big budget.  The first one made near 800m...this will not be a 60m dollar movie.  

Edited by kowhite
  • Like 1