kayumanggi

THE SHALLOWS | 06.24.16 | Sony | final domestic gross: $55,124,043

9 hours ago, Nova said:

Maybe I'm a bit out of touch with reality but I didn't think about this for one second while watching the film. I mean would have it been better had they cast all white people to play the Mexican locals....

http://www.salon.com/2016/06/27/yet_another_white_lady_in_jeopardy_the_shallows_and_hollywoods_empathy_gap/

Salon

• Like 2

Told my friend this film was anxiety inducing. He didn't believe me and expected it to be ridiculous and stupid. He just texts me and goes "I've never seen a film where I'd laugh at something and at the same time have my heart race a million times a minute. Wow." Pretty much me when I was watching it. Laughing at the damn seagull only to be put in my place because of that shark. 

• Like 5

Just watched it. Fun, but forgettable. It was not the thrill ride I expected, but there were some tense moments where I was on the edge of my seat (especially last 20 minutes). I enjoyed some beautiful overhead shots of the ocean. Blake Lively's acting was good enough to carry the entire movie by herself, but I wouldn't say it was top-level performance.

And that seagull... :WHATanabe:

26 minutes ago, mrqe93 said:

Just watched it. Fun, but forgettable. It was not the thrill ride I expected, but there were some tense moments where I was on the edge of my seat (especially last 20 minutes). I enjoyed some beautiful overhead shots of the ocean. Blake Lively's acting was good enough to carry the entire movie by herself, but I wouldn't say it was top-level performance.

And that seagull... :WHATanabe:

The seagull is going to win an Oscar. His performance was outstanding. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Baumer said:

Hoping it has a really good hold this weekend.....plus I hope if falls softly today.

Same here. It's Tuesday wasn't as good as the other films so I'm hoping that just means it'll have a softer drop for Wednesday but we shall see. I think it can make $11-12M for the 4 day. 

• Like 1

The Purge getting good reviews will cut into this movies box office run. And of course the obvious one is that with three new releases its going to be moved into the smaller theaters. I can see it falling a lot harder than expected this weekend as a result. 

Edited by Nova

18 hours ago, kowhite said:

Blake, I believe in her legs.  

a 19% drop on Thursday despite The Purge having a pretty big Thursday night preview. Lets hope for some pretty legs for this weekend. 

PS officially certified fresh on RT...so take that haters! 

4 minutes ago, Free State of Tele said:

...but it kinda was.

Its not for everyone, I will admit that obviously. I enjoyed watching it...but I also have a great fear of the ocean so all those underwater shots and what not had me feeling anxious whereas for others it was probably more of a joke. I will say that having read the script and seeing the film, i am upset that they didn't keep the original tone of the film. In the original script, her mom's ordeal is more prominent throughout the film (with flashbacks and what not) and in the film its kinda just thrown at you at the end. The very ending is also not in the script and I wish they kept it out of the film itself instead of adding it last minute (thats what the reshoots in April were for). Its obvious they fluffed up the film to feel more summery than keeping the original tone. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Baumer said:

It should do 50 and maybe even 55.

Hoping for that 55M but not going to bet on it lol 

1 hour ago, CJohn said:

A solid mid-level hit for Sony. 

Sony gets a lot of credit for being self-aware and realizing they were better off releasing it with IDR than in a crowded 4th of July weekend. It would have suffered quite a bit had it been released this weekend. 

6 hours ago, Baumer said:

I think this is performing better than Sony hoped it would. 

Yea I don't think they expected much. Just enough to cover the budget and marketing and what not. I don't know how it'll preform over seas (I read that it may get a release in China, now but I doubt it) and depending on that it could be a very good hit for them this summer. I know Lively's other film did $25M OS but I'm too lazy to see which markets it was released in/how the marketing was for it internationally. 

Edited by Nova
  • Like 1