kayumanggi

THE SHALLOWS | 06.24.16 | Sony | final domestic gross: $55,124,043

2 movies coming out next week, and 2 movies coming out the week after that.  The Shallows should stay above 2,000 theaters through those weeks (week 3 & week4).  Assuming strong weekdays, this could power past 60.

Edited by Matrix4You

4 hours ago, Gavin Feng said:

A reliable source told me that The Shallows may get a release date in China if Ghostbusters couldn’t get past the censors.

Wait I thought Ghostbusters was being released in China already? 

13 hours ago, Matrix4You said:

2 movies coming out next week, and 2 movies coming out the week after that.  The Shallows should stay above 2,000 theaters through those weeks (week 3 & week4).  Assuming strong weekdays, this could power past 60.

It's theater average has been consistent which should help it keep in theaters however I think it'll be very tough for it to get to $60M. That would be a 3.57 multiplier which is unheard of for a film in this genre. The weekdays should be key but I don't think they were consistent/strong its first week of release. It'll be lucky to get to $50M. 

10 hours ago, Gavin Feng said:

It is still a question whether Ghostbusters could pass the censors.

It has ghosts.

I thought that was a nonstarter.

I dont think they've banned Blake Lively in China though.

Edited by kowhite
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, UrosepsisFace said:

How the heck can The Shallows get past the censors and not Ghostbusters? 

Just ban Ghostbusters if SARFT aren’t happy about the plot that the ghost shows,then Sony will give The Shallows a chance to release.

Ghostbusters most likely would be banned.

So the Internet is full of vicious articles against Blake Lively saying how she is just a nothing entity (bad actress, bland) that will have success because she was programmed by Hollywood to do so.

The hate is strong against the Blake.

:thinking:

3 hours ago, The Futurist said:

So the Internet is full of vicious articles against Blake Lively saying how she is just a nothing entity (bad actress, bland) that will have success because she was programmed by Hollywood to do so.

Yeah, well, bland or not, the cinematography really captured the beauty of her behind in this movie. 

11 hours ago, The Futurist said:

Those articles sound like they were written by some bitter ass people who are mad that someone like Blake is still around in Hollywood and is successful and are scared her popularity is going to be boosted by her recent success. They're completely unnecessary to me. Is she the greatest actress? Heck no. Is she successful because of her looks? Yes, but welcome to Hollywood where looks trump talent. Is she bland and boring? I don't know her personally so I don't know how someone can attack her in that manner unless they know her but from her interviews and what not she seems anything but bland and boring. Besides I don't see them writing articles about the males who are in a similar position as her. Who are only famous because of their looks and are programmed by Hollywood to be successful. 

I mean one of them (NYT) even brought Kate Hudson into it and compared both women to software and food. Most people called them out on the BS with a few finding it "funny," for whatever reason. 

On a side note: I think the only reason why Blake has suddenly found success in her movies is because she's been picking the right roles for herself. The Shallows is a perfect example of that. She benefited from working with a director who created a suspenseful and visually beautiful film. She's working with Marc Forster in a film later out this year which based on Forster's past should be a good one as well. Whereas in the past she just attached her name to films that didn't really fit her but were bigger releases.

Edited by Nova

On a different note....someone go save the Lively-Reynolds from Taylor Swift's wrath. She has them posing in couply pictures with her and Loki and it's borderline disturbing especially when you see Ryan's face in them. 

On 7/3/2016 at 1:03 AM, Matrix4You said:

I think this squeaks past 60m as well. The weekdays have been good and The Purge 3 didn't hurt it as badly as it could have. 

On 7/3/2016 at 8:38 AM, Gavin Feng said:

A reliable source told me that The Shallows may get a release date in China if Ghostbusters couldn’t get past the censors.

That would be great, I feel like Chinese audiences would so be there for a shark attack flick. 

• Like 1

On July 4, 2016 at 4:09 AM, Gavin Feng said:

Just ban Ghostbusters if SARFT aren’t happy about the plot that the ghost shows,then Sony will give The Shallows a chance to release.

Ghostbusters most likely would be banned.

Do you know when the official word comes out on whether Ghostbusters will be released there or not?