kayumanggi

THE SHALLOWS | 06.24.16 | Sony | final domestic gross: $55,124,043

I agree he deserves to get at least 20 plus a percentage.  And I know this will not be a 60 million dollar movie.  But if they can keep it at around 120, then it also allows them to be profitable, well, REALLY REALLY profitable still, even if the film falls a bit.

2 minutes ago, Baumer said:

I agree he deserves to get at least 20 plus a percentage.  And I know this will not be a 60 million dollar movie.  But if they can keep it at around 120, then it also allows them to be profitable, well, REALLY REALLY profitable still, even if the film falls a bit.

If they're smart...120m is a great price.  Cause really, that means 160m or more, if they play the tax incentives right.

But bottom line, they can make a killer Deadpool movie with out blowing out the bank.  Ryan NEEDS to get paid, but the appeal here isn't epic production value,. You don't need to spend like a Xmen movie.  Fox, I'm available for hire.  Call me.

• Like 1

I think Ryan and the other three know this too.  I also think they feel they deserve to get a much bigger slice of the pie this time.

Question for you though, as a producer on the first one, did Reynolds get any of the gross?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Baumer said:

I think Ryan and the other three know this too.  I also think they feel they deserve to get a much bigger slice of the pie this time.

Question for you though, as a producer on the first one, did Reynolds get any of the gross?

Im sure he did.  I sure less than you'd imagine.  I'm sure Fox three him some discretionary gravy though.  They do that when well, the contract doesn't match what should happen.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, The Futurist said:

Reynolds is gonna command 20m a pop for every Deadpool gig at least and you know who does these negotiations with the studio/producers ?

The agent.

And you know why ?

Because the agent gets a nice percentage on this 20m paycheck so yes, Reynold s agent years of debauchery are ahead of him.

Fun times ahead for Reynold s team.

Deadpool is like winning the Hollywood lottery.

Oh okay hahaha I was so confused by your post but ironically he and his wife have the same agent. So they'll both be cashing in off of that Deadpool $$$$ 

7 hours ago, Baumer said:

But how much do you think he will be paid?  I think he got something like 5 for Deadpool (do you know the amount?)?  And if he were to get 20 million for the sequel, then they are going to start heading into big budget territory.  IMO, he should get a shit load for the sequel, but just basing it off what they said, a back end deal would make more sense.....but you are much more in the know on this stuff than I am.

He got $2M upfront but he had a back end deal that ended up paying him more like $12-15M according to THR. I'm thinking it was probably like $13.5M. 

I know that his agents renogotiated his contract but he's also a producer on the film so I'd see more like they did it to where he gets $10M up front and a back end deal as well. I can't imagine Reynolds himself trying to sabotage this franchise with over the top up front deals. Especially when he's also getting endorsement deals on top. I think he'd be content with a little more money up front but a back end deal as well based on the box office results. 

Having said that I think that a lot of money is going to be spent towards the cast this time around and rightfully so, so I could see the movie costing around $100M but not much more. Like I don't imagine a $150M blockbuster. 

Also one last thing, on Fandango it says Deadpool 2 is being released in November of 2018. 

Last st last thing and it's about The Shallows lol it's gotten off to a very good start in the International Markets it's opened up in. It did $1.4M OW in Russia and like $.5M in Thailand. It just opened up in South Korea and it will have more openings this weekend in Mexico and Spain. 

Itll be interesting to see how this film does in Australia. I think it can do some really good numbers over there. 

Lots of bigger international markets left for it to open in including Japan, UK, Mexico, Spain, Australia, France, China so hopefully it can have good runs there too. 

Edited by Nova
  • Like 1

It would be quite something to see this do something like 100 million internationally.  That would be a nice return for Sony on a small film.

If it follows the pattern here that films that do in Australia most of the time, then it should do about 5-6 millio

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Baumer said:

It would be quite something to see this do something like 100 million internationally.  That would be a nice return for Sony on a small film.

If it follows the pattern here that films that do in Australia most of the time, then it should do about 5-6 millio

I think it can based on how its opened so far. The interesting thing to see though is how it's going to hold in those countries. But I'm happy it's off to a good start :) 

And yea I mentioned Australia specifically because they've had quite a few shark attacks there lately so I'm sure the horror aspect of it will feel more realistic for them plus I'm willing to bet the film got decent press when Blake was filming over there. 

This lost 711 theaters and is down to 1,621 so I'm starting to doubt anything over $55M. I thought its theater counts would stay near 2,000 for this weekend and thus have another hold under 50%. But that TC loss is looking at over a 50% drop making $55M harder imo. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Cochofles said:

Adaline and The Shallows have certainly made me a fan of Blake Lively's!!

Shes done well with these delivering small sized hits as a lead.  Admittedly, I didn't really like Adaline though.  But good for her, she was likable.  Looking forward to seeing this nonetheless.

• Like 1

The only things I liked about Adaline were Blake Lively and Harrison Ford. Oddly enough I felt like they had good chemistry compared to her with the dude from Games of Thrones. I'm probably the only weirdo that hoped her and Ford's characters ended up together. No shame. But thats just me. Now her chemistry with Steven Seagull....that's on another level. 

Edited by Nova
  • Like 2

Also to note based on the reviews on RT this is getting mostly fresh reviews from Spanish reviewers. I don't know if they're from Spain or Mexico. Hopefully that means its translating well internationally although I mean it's not like there's much dialogue. The visuals from those reviewers have been getting lots and lots of praise. 

Also Cafe Society getting certified fresh on RT and I'm totally here for this Blake Lively career revival :popcorn:

Edited by Nova

1 hour ago, Cochofles said:

Adaline and The Shallows have certainly made me a fan of Blake Lively's!!

Absolutely agreed.  I pretty much loved her in Adaline and she was terrific in this as well.

• Like 1

On Thursday, July 14, 2016 at 11:00 PM, Nova said:

The only things I liked about Adaline were Blake Lively and Harrison Ford. Oddly enough I felt like they had good chemistry compared to her with the dude from Games of Thrones. I'm probably the only weirdo that hoped her and Ford's characters ended up together. No shame. But thats just me. Now her chemistry with Steven Seagull....that's on another level. 

I hoped Adaline ended up with Harrison Ford's character, too! The son was written like a low-key stalker in the beginning, I couldn't get past it to like him with Adaline.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, BoxOfficeChica said:

I hoped Adaline ended up with Harrison Ford's character, too! The son was written like a low-key stalker in the beginning, I couldn't get past it to like him with Adaline.

Like when he got her address from the library and waited for her because she wouldn't return his calls. He stalked her worse than the shark in this movie stalked her ass. :ph34r:

Edited by Nova
  • Like 2