Asyulus

Not So Fantastic Weekend Thread | MI5 29.4, F4 26.2, Gift 12, Ricki 7, Shaun 4, Vac 9, AM 7.8

Goes to show how when we go film by film this summer is much weaker than last year. 14 movies grossed 100M last summer.

May was slightly weaker, June destroyed last year's, July was stronger, and August will be much weaker. The grosses were spread out so differently this year, just look how the top 4 this year will gross as much as the top 8 last summer.

• Like 2

I think a "what went right" thread would be more useful and have more active discussion. it could take days for us to figure out if a single thing actually did go right for this movie.

Edited by cooliod1
  • Like 11

May was slightly weaker, June destroyed last year's, July was stronger, and August will be much weaker. The grosses were spread out so differently this year, just look how the top 4 this year will gross as much as the top 8 last summer.

JW and AOU completely saved this summer box office wise, without them this summer would pale compared to last year. It would have been interesting to have two animated movies be the top two, has that ever happened?

And the teasing of a sequel that will never come. it's like blue balls for your... well, not really.

Always cracks me up. The Green Lantern post credits scene is love

• Like 1

Once the alarmingly toxic reviews and the comparisons to "lowest of low" titles like Batman & Robin and Catwoman came in, it was pretty much dead. Even if the reviews had been on the same level as the other Fantastic Four movies, as lame as they may have been, I think it still could've easily done $40M+.

• Like 1

For the folks keeping score at home -- Chronicle did 8.5m opening day in 2,900 theaters. In February.

What happened on Chronicle's Sunday? It's too long ago for me to remember but it looks like it cratered out of nowhere

Edited by Chewy