Asyulus

Not So Fantastic Weekend Thread | MI5 29.4, F4 26.2, Gift 12, Ricki 7, Shaun 4, Vac 9, AM 7.8

Also was nearly 3 hours long.

imo folks are gonna connect with 'bring our guy from mars' more easily as opposed to - gravity as the other dimension, love is quantifiable, space bookshelf tesseract build by future us, and the solution encoded in the second hand of a watch in morse code

And Scott doesn't do stuff like that with his movies? We can have a "Bring Him Home" tagline and that's cute and all, but doesn't mean we're getting anything straightforward. For all the stuff Nolan pulled in IS that should have turned the GA off, it got a great multi. Compare that to Prometheus where Scott pulled his unusual stuff and did turn the GA off. Call Nolan as overrated as you want (I agree to an extent) but the GA just plain like his movies. The GA have liked two Scott movies this millennium, and one was primarily because of Denzel.

FF was really good right at the beginning.  Then it jumps 7 years later and it went all down hill from there.  None of the characters were interesting, none of the actors did a particularly good job with the exception of Tim Blake Nelson, who chews up the screen every time he's on it.  But other than that, there's no love triangle, no conflict, no tension, nothing.  Then something interesting happens and then they jump ahead a year to where there is no more conflict.  And they spend 95 minutes setting up 5 minutes of Doom stuff.  I wasn't a big fan of the original but it's miles better than this one.  

• Like 5

yeah i think everything lived up to expectations for the most part. There were a few breakouts during every summer month.

May:

Pitch Perfect 2-I dont think anyone truly realized how big this fanbase was; it nearly tripled the gross of the first. 

San Andreas-no one was really checking for this film but it actually came in above tracking and 400m+ WW; proving that The Rock is an action-star draw.

June:

Spy-Everyone thought it would do well domestically but it's equally successful overseas, 232m WW and counting. 

Jurassic World: This exceeded even the most optimistic predictions. Total shocker of the summer.

Inside Out-Most people thought Minions would take the animation crown easily, but synergy with Jurassic World proved to be critical in the peak of summer. 

July:

Trainwreck-Exceeded expectations especially since it starred a relatively new comedian (Amy Schumer) 

August:

Straight Outta Compton  B)  B)

hqdefault.jpg

• Like 1

And Scott doesn't do stuff like that with his movies? We can have a "Bring Him Home" tagline and that's cute and all, but doesn't mean we're getting anything straightforward. For all the stuff Nolan pulled in IS that should have turned the GA off, it got a great multi. Compare that to Prometheus where Scott pulled his unusual stuff and did turn the GA off. Call Nolan as overrated as you want (I agree to an extent) but the GA just plain like his movies. The GA have liked two Scott movies this millennium, and one was primarily because of Denzel.

Dude, you're talking about summer season compared to the fall.  I think a good total for Martian would be anything around 100 million.  What October films aimed at adults really do more than that?  I can think of one off the top of my head and that's gravity, but that is an anomaly, not the norm.

FF was really good right at the beginning.  Then it jumps 7 years later and it went all down hill from there.  None of the characters were interesting, none of the actors did a particularly good job with the exception of Tim Blake Nelson, who chews up the screen every time he's on it.  But other than that, there's no love triangle, no conflict, no tension, nothing.  Then something interesting happens and then they jump ahead a year to where there is no more conflict.  And they spend 95 minutes setting up 5 minutes of Doom stuff.  I wasn't a big fan of the original but it's miles better than this one.  

My comparison point I said in the other thread earlier was that it's like if when Bane and Batman first meet in the sewer in TDKR, which is about halfway into that movie, was the end fight of that film. baffling.

• Like 2

If Martian gets great reviews in TIFF, I can see it being a big hit.  The awareness is certainly there, it just needs good reviews now to close the deal.  Time will tell.

• Like 1

If you haven't seen the extended cut of the original it's worth a look. It's not as big of a change as say the DD d-cut, but it does add more to how their powers affect them personally. Especially the Thing.

• Like 1

Dude, you're talking about summer season compared to the fall.  I think a good total for Martian would be anything around 100 million.  What October films aimed at adults really do more than that?  I can think of one off the top of my head and that's gravity, but that is an anomaly, not the norm.

That's exactly what I'm arguing Baumer. 100m should be more than a high enough benchmark to set for The Martian. I think 200m is a ridiculous expectation.

• Like 2

I think there is a better movie out there somewhere for FF, but it got lost in the editing room.

Interesting story, sort of relates to this, if my theory is correct.

The first cut of First Blood, was, according to Stallone, horrific.  He hated it.  Rambo had a lot more lines and there was more dailogue and less action.  When he saw it he went to Kassar and Vajna and expressed his horror.  He asked them if they could just edit it down to a film with very little dialogue for Rambo, keep it more action packed.  They agreed and the rest is history.  

I think that's a lesson that FF should have taken, editing looks to have fucked this film up in a bad way.

• Like 3

That's exactly what I'm arguing Baumer. 100m should be more than a high enough benchmark to set for The Martian. I think 200m is a ridiculous expectation.

Who is expecting it to go that high?

I think there is a better movie out there somewhere for FF, but it got lost in the editing room.

Interesting story, sort of relates to this, if my theory is correct.

The first cut of First Blood, was, according to Stallone, horrific.  He hated it.  Rambo had a lot more lines and there was more dailogue and less action.  When he saw it he went to Kassar and Vajna and expressed his horror.  He asked them if they could just edit it down to a film with very little dialogue for Rambo, keep it more action packed.  They agreed and the rest is history.  

I think that's a lesson that FF should have taken, editing looks to have fucked this film up in a bad way.

I'm surprised they didn't bring in Ottman to edit it into something more coherent. But maybe there was simply nowhere to go.

• Like 1

I completely agree, 100M would be great for The Martian. However I do think it has the scope for much higher targets if everything goes very well.

• Like 1

I'm surprised they didn't bring in Ottman to edit it into something more coherent. But maybe there was simply nowhere to go.

But even a TV editor like Tele could have edited this better than what it is now.   :P

• Like 3

I like Nolan a lot and liked Interstellar, but didn't love it. Am just assuming that Scott has not pulled off anything wonky here and keeps it simpler than Interstellar. Else the 'bring him home' theme alone will not be enough for 200m. Looking at the trailer I felt they have kept it straightforward.