CJohn

Official Weekend Estimates: Straigth Outta Compton - 56.1M; The Man From UNCLE - 13.5M; MI5 - 17.3M; Fantastic Four - 8M

Compton not as impressive as 8 Mile.

That opening adjusts to $71.6m.

UNCLE, go and sit with Aloha, Pixels, Paper Towns, Dope, Entourage, Terminator, Ted and Fantastic Four.

They've been expecting you.

Edited by Krissykins

Uni will ultimately take the crown for the all-time domestic record set by any Hollywood major for the year, also previously held by WB in 2009 with $2.1B. In June, Universal celebrated the quickest rise to $1 billion domestic ever and just last week broke the record for the highest-grossing box office year in global industry history when it reached $5.53B worldwide.

The studio owns five of the top 10 pics at the 2015 domestic B.O. to date with Jurassic World ($638M by end of this weekend), Furious 7 ($351M), Minions ($312.7M by end of this weekend), Fifty Shades of Grey ($166.2M) and Pitch Perfect 2 ($183.8M).  Compton alone is set to ring up over $59M this weekend, becoming the studio’s sixth title to open at No. 1 this year. The studio has owned the No. 1 spot for 11 weekends in 2015.

Said Nick Carpou, President of Domestic Distribution in a statement, “We knew that 2015 was going to be a special year, and were hopeful that our varied slate of franchise tentpoles, sequels and original films would resonate with audiences’ diverse moviegoing tastes.  This milestone contributes to a win for our entire industry in a year that continues to see healthy growth and is on pace to be among the biggest ever.  We applaud our friends and partners in exhibition, whose optimistic support has been essential to our success.”

• Like 4

It might not be a pitch perfect representation of Eminem's life but it has a lot of elements, it counts as a biopic IMO.

Most biopics aren't pitch perfect representations - not even close - but they at minimum need to have the name of the person it's a bio of..

• Like 1

It might not be a pitch perfect representation of Eminem's life but it has a lot of elements, it counts as a biopic IMO.

What, what sort of logic is this? A biopic is very specifically about a real-life person. Just having a bunch of similar elements doesn't count. :lol:

• Like 3

the-numbers became on my must visit sites every day.

Yes that was BOM last year. Now I barely care about it. That's sad.

Agree. One of the reasons I think: Amazon = bad owner

I still like also Boxoffice.com too, but the-numbers also offers the DVD/Blu-Ray sales (even if they have to adjust repeatedly those, but after a couple of months after a release it's interesting enogh for me) and their visual comparisons I do also like a lot

Even if 2016 isn't as big as 2015 for Uni, this is still a HUGE win for this studio which a few years back was way less succesful than Disney or even Paramount. Uni is the real winner of 2015 - whether it ends up as the highest grosser or not.

• Like 2

Even if 2016 isn't as big as 2015 for Uni, this is still a HUGE win for this studio which a few years back was way less succesful than Disney or even Paramount. Uni is the real winner of 2015 - whether it ends up as the highest grosser or not.

No one is contesting / will contest that.

early weekends...

Fantastic Four (2015)    $7,600,000    -70%    4,004    9    $1,898    $41,561,218    2

Paper Towns    $555,000    -62%    599    -685    $927    $30,371,000    4    

Spy (2015)    $178,000    -51%    226    -80    $788    $109,809,727    11

Mistress America    $100,000    --    4    --    $25,000    $100,000    1    Fox

Dope    $19,000    -48%    28    -10    $679    $16,693,172    9

Still waiting for BO.com's / Paramount's MI5 update