CJohn

Official Weekend Estimates: Straigth Outta Compton - 56.1M; The Man From UNCLE - 13.5M; MI5 - 17.3M; Fantastic Four - 8M

Yes it did, by being exactly what most of the crowd wanted to watch this summer.

Nobody said it's a cinematic masterpiece, but I get the sense that a lot of this hate comes from some notion that it didn't "deserve" the success it got.

IMHO "deserve" has nothing to do with it. A movie makes what it makes, whether I liked it or not. Box office is a popularity contest. Whether I think a movie "deserves" its popularity is irrelevant - popularity and quality are two entirely different things - one is objective and quantifiable, the other is entirely subjective.

Whenever a movie breaks records people will question whether it deserved so much success.

It comes with the territory and actually factors into predicting the box office for sequels.

studio w/e estimates

The Man from U.N.C.L.E.    $13,535,000    --    3,638    --    $3,720    $13,535,000    1

Vacation (2015)    $5,330,000    -40%    3,088    -342    $1,726    $46,852,065    3

Rosenwald    $6,000    --    1    --    $6,000    $6,000    1  

Whenever a movie breaks records people will question whether it deserved so much success.

It comes with the territory and actually factors into predicting the box office for sequels.

I would think predicting box office for sequels will have to do with reception. As much as some here would like to pretend otherwise, JW wasn't some toxic-WOM phenomenon which everyone watched on OW and shunned once they got a whiff of the stench. It had a great multiplier from its record breaking OW.

So whether or not some people online like to poo-poo it (which again, is not even a consensus on this board), I fail to see how that's some substantial data to consider for how much a sequel could make.

There are cases where WOM did not justify a sequel despite high profit (TASM2, for one). JW isn't one of them.

Will a sequel drop? Sure it would, because JW was a perfect storm, but that doesn't indicate negative WOM any more than AOU indicates The Avengers negative WOM.

Edited by JennaJ

In second place, Paramount’s “Mission: Impossible – Rogue Nation” continued to get a lift from strong word-of-mouth, picking up roughly $17.4 million in its third weekend. That brings its North American haul to approximately $140 million.

More to come…

http://variety.com/2015/film/box-office/straight-outta-compton-box-office-2-1201571204/

• Like 1

I think I'm retiring from defending JW.

It rocks

It rules.

Seen it 6 times

Will buy it on BR.

It pleased most who saw it.

You don't like it, your loss.

What more is there to say?

But dont you understand? * Their* arbitrarily defined evaluation criteria are better than *your* arbitrarily defined evaluation criteria!

• Like 2