Gopher

Wednesday #s: Compton 5.15 (-29%)

I guess Monday was spillover from Sunday. Probably a 60% drop this weekend.

$25 million weekdays (when summer has died down mostly) 

$20 million 2nd weekend. It has no direct competition, and it's getting a theater increase. $23-24 million is the lowest I can see it going, unless it drops another 10-15% on Thursday. There's just no reason for Compton's 2nd weekend to be that much smaller than its dailies during a subdued late August week. 

And considering the lowest Friday increase in the top 10 last year was 77%, Compton should at least get $8.6-8.7 million, assuming a slight drop on Thursday. 

$8.7 million 

$12.6 million 

$8.2 million 

$29.5 million 

Not doomsday for Compton quite yet... its 2nd weekend should be a sub-60% drop, possibly sub-55%, with an outside chance at just under a 50% drop. 

Edited by mahnamahna

This movie is far from being labeled doomsday for as little as it probably cost to make and making 60M OW for a movie that basically glorifies Violence on the Police..

I'm just saying that a 60% drop is unlikely considering it'll make $25 million in weekdays during a slightly subdued end-of-summer week.

From a $4.9 million Thurs, it should get roughly $9 million on Friday, especially with a theater increase. a 30-35% Sat increase gives it $12-12.5 million on Saturday. a 35% Sunday drop would give it $8 million or so. 

I just don't see a scenario where it makes less than $26.5-27 million this weekend, especially as low as $20 million. There's nothing major coming out next weekend AND it's getting a theater increase. 

And you're most likely right.. The movie appeals to a certain audience and that audience will keep coming back, especially if you enjoy the Hip Hop or Rap Culture... It'll probably do well on DVD as well...

Or it has good WOM and there's nothing else worth seeing in theaters (minus MI5). Those are the main reasons why it'll do remarkably well these next 3-4 weeks. 

• Like 1

This movie is far from being labeled doomsday for as little as it probably cost to make and making 60M OW for a movie that basically glorifies Violence on the Police.. The sequel will be titled "STRAIGHT OUTTA FERGUSON" :rolleyes:

c9ebda2033d8a5050c092c6fd6e18ebd75d7d9b9

• Like 4

I predicted $5.14M Wednesday. As long as it doesn't drop harshly today (I doubt it because of the lack of excitement of the new releases), it should be good for at least $27M+ this weekend.

Exactly! Following last year's increases, Compton should do $27-31 million this weekend even with a big Wed drop.

$20 million is just way too low unless dailies were $16-17m for the week

Not sure how it's ignorance when I'm watching the local news of a 9 year old black girl innocently playing in her yard, get's gunned down or how some dumbass decides to start shooting at the police causing him to be gunned down in the process.. That's not ignorance, that's more eye opening at how bad it's really gotten..

Oh right, cause that's what SOC is about.

Anyway, real summer weekdays being over sucks. Though at at least this winter there's SW to look forward to! *drools*

• Like 1

Lots of marketing speak here, not sure what this means, but sounds interesting: http://www.tvmediainsights.com/highlights/rentrak-teams-up-with-movietickets-com/

Rentrak Teams Up with MovieTickets.com

Measurement service Rentrak has partnered with MovieTickets.com, the largest provider of advance movie ticketing, representing 28,000 screens, to co-develop products that unlock a suite of marketing, planning and ROI measurement tools for the movie and television industries. Rentrak will link its merged TV viewing and box office sales ticket information with MovieTickets.com’s individual-level ticket purchasing information, in a privacy compliant way, to help studios and TV programmers better target television advertising and interpret the effectiveness of their ad campaigns.

The goal is for Rentrak and MovieTickets.com to create a powerful suite of products that will connect the ecosystem of television viewers and moviegoers. The products will include a combination of movie data and demographic household information that will allow film distributors, theater owners, movie studios, advertising agencies, MPVD operators and television programmers to more precisely target audiences.

Edited by grim22
  • Like 1