chasmmi

Chasmmi's Winter Game - Grey Ghost is the WINNER!

14th and 15th Place: Tele and Damienroc (but who came where???) 

For months the battle raged on and a bitter feud threatened to engulf the whole game. Week after week Damien pulled further and further out in front of the elder statesman of the internet, but was the gap to be enough? With Damienroc placed 5th in the most recent table, a drop of at least 9 places means that something in the preseason went very very wrong? But did it go wrong enough that even Tele could catch him?...

Damien's score without Top 10WW, 15Dom, and gross totals: 1,232,000 

Tele's score without Top 10WW, 15Dom, and gross totals: 846,000

Gap = 386,000

Surely an insurmountable gap? But wait! What is this???

Damien's Top 10 WW score: 15,000

Tele's Top 10 WW score: 279,000 

So now it looks like...

Damien's score without 15Dom, and gross totals: 1,247,000 

Tele's score without 15Dom, and gross totals: 1,125,000

Suddenly the gap has imploded to a eminently catchable 122,000 points!!! It cannot happen can it?

The top 15 scores are next:

Damien scores 264,000

Tele Scores 381,000

Disaster again for Damien!!! His entire lead has been wiped out! The scores now stand at:

Damienroc: 1,511,000

Tele: 1,506,000

There is nothing more than a weekly question part 2 bonus separating them! This is madness and just goes to show the power of preseason in this game. Only one section remains, the Total Grosses section:

Spoiler

Damienroc Scores 40,000 points. This is a decent score in this section, however the highest score by any player here was 150,000. That's a big window for tele to fall into...

Spoiler

Tele scored *5,000 points

Spoiler

apologies the star key got in the way there, tele infact scored...

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

points.

Damien is 14th with 1,551,000 and tele 15th with 1,521,000.

(remind me, what was it tele forgot to do last week?)

• Like 7

13th Place: Misafeco (Up 1 place from the last table)

1,630,000 points

Scores are getting pretty big, pretty fast now. Miscafeco was a constant presence all game and consolidated a decent weekly total with a strong preseason showing. We are now at a stage where preseasons are making up 66% of a player's total. Misafeco has been a part of the summer and winter for a couple of incarnations now and maybe summer will be time for a push into the top 10.

• Like 5

12th Place: The Background Character (Down 3 places from the last table)

1,720,000 points

We are now at the point where every preseason has more than 1,000,000 points now. There are no week scores now, just week sections that became the difference between top 5 and top 12. Background character's downfall came from being average in every part (good scores everywhere, but nothing outstanding in any section). SOTMs were strong, weeklies were good, and a seven figure preseason is a good foundation for potential future success.

• Like 7

11th Place: Kayumanggi (Up 5 places from the last table)

1,739,000 points

A big climber comes in next as Kayu rises 5 places up the table. Anybody with their finger on the pulse will know that kayu's challenge came apart in the SOTMs. A big red number is not the stuff victories are made of and in fact 6 of the top 10 have SOTM scores that would have propelled kayu towards the top 5 or even higher. In spite of this, a weekly total in excess of 500k is nothing to sneer at and only 2 players got more of their top 15 correct. Kayu will be back in the summer...

• Like 6

Ok, wow. That was unexpected. I was totally expecting a second post saying that that was just a joke (as happens in every countdown here) and that Tele is indeed 15th while damienroc's position is yet to be unveiled. Down to 14 from being a member of the elite 6? I really really wasn't expecting any major change to happen in the top 10. This game is indeed built upon the preseasons, isn't it?

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Infernus said:

Ok, wow. That was unexpected. I was totally expecting a second post saying that that was just a joke (as happens in every countdown here) and that Tele is indeed 15th while damienroc's position is yet to be unveiled. Down to 14 from being a member of the elite 6? I really really wasn't expecting any major change to happen in the top 10. This game is indeed built upon the preseasons, isn't it?

To put that really into perspective, 99 trees would have finished the game ahead of Damienroc despite only playing 2 weekly questions and 1 SOTM. Only the SOTM14 meaning all none players lost 92,000 points stopped that happening.

A top 6 week to week performance can still be destroyed by a stellar preseason.

19 minutes ago, chasmmi said:

To put that really into perspective, 99 trees would have finished the game ahead of Damienroc despite only playing 2 weekly questions and 1 SOTM. Only the SOTM14 meaning all none players lost 92,000 points stopped that happening.

A top 6 week to week performance can still be destroyed by a stellar preseason.

Or from Damien's perspective a terrible preseason. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Infernus said:

Well, yes and no. The preseason is a *ton* of points. But its relatively rare for one person to get *everything* right and the same number of points are available to everyone. So, yes, if you crash and burn on the pre-season, you're pretty much screwed. However, if you do well, the odds are good that other people will also do well, and everyone's ups and downs have a habit of cancelling each other out. As a result, its not at all uncommon for even the top spots to only be a few thousand points apart.

Putting it another way, yes, the preseason is ton of points, and Tele doing great at it and DamienRoc doing poorly allowed Tele to *almost* make up a gigantic lead. Yet DamienRoc ended up beating Tele by basically a single week's worth of weekly questions. There are a bunch of people playing (and usually even more during the summer), so while, say, 20k seems like a trivial amount of points out of 2-3 million, the odds that *someone* ends up within 20k points of you at the end of the game is actually pretty good and you'll really wish you had them.

Edited by Wrath
  • Like 2

10th Place: Jajang (Up 3 places from the last table)

1,815,000 points

Another player who lost out big on the SOTMs, jajang was a big part of this game (you should just see all the sexy tables he has lined up to show you folks when I finally reveal the winners of this next June,) and thus deserving a spot in the top 10. He was one of just 5 players to break 600,000 points for his top 15 predictions (to put that in perspective, 3 players did not manage 600k in total for all of their preseasons). Jajang, like kayu before will be looking at at what could have been if he had just performed stronger in SOTMs.    

• Like 5

1 minute ago, chasmmi said:

10th Place: Jajang (Up 3 places from the last table)

1,815,000 points

Another player who lost out big on the SOTMs, jajang was a big part of this game (you should just see all the sexy tables he has lined up to show you folks when I finally reveal the winners of this next June,) and thus deserving a spot in the top 10. He was one of just 5 players to break 600,000 points for his top 15 predictions (to put that in perspective, 3 players did not manage 600k in total for all of their preseasons). Jajang, like kayu before will be looking at at what could have been if he had just performed stronger in SOTMs.    

1 stupid SOTM too!  That stupid Star Wars question. Lost 100k. Grrrrrr. (For the sake of 1 mistake there my score went from 200k to -100k ) do ur sums I was in the 5 but for that......

oh oh happy with my preseason. 

And r u really taking to June to announce this????:ph34r::ohmyzod:

• Like 1

9th Place: Movieman89 (Up 6 places from the last table)

1,818,000 points

Three climbers in a row now as movieman slams onto the scene in 9th place and for the third time in a row I am talking about missed opportunities in the SOTMsphere. A whopping minus 88,000 points hurts a lot, that's over 400k below the top scorers in that section and that is a big gap to try to make up. Having said that, a 4th highest preseason score has helped to turn a mid-teen disappointing campaign into an impressive top 10 finish. Holding fire a little more often during the summer could be the key to a big big showing in the summer.

• Like 5