WrathOfHan

Weekend Thread | Official estimate: The Martian 55M. Rth Sunday Est Pg43: 13.4M. Gravity will remain October OW record holder.

Calling 60 million plus. Sicario might hit 30 million. Great weekend.

I need to brush up on my limited release to wide release algorithms. Sicario is going from a 28k per screen average down last weekend at 60 screens to a 4.5k per screen average this weekend at 2650 screens. Ouch. I guess it is not a middle america movie, just an urban one. I can taste the buzz in the air, but it is isolated to NYC and LA I guess. Bummer. Good movie that had the potential to be great, but the screenwriter phoned it in for the last 20 minutes. Really botched the landing.

Blunt is very good in Sicario. The girl can really do it all. She's so much better than the overrated Jennifer Lawrence. Some people will be disappointed with her performance/character because, as stated a few pages back, the movie doesn't go where you expect. Most people are expecting "girl power!!!" and "kick ass!! feminism!!!" and end up feeling disappointed with the movie, her character and her performance. 

• Like 2

Blunt was fine, but her character was definitely underwritten.

Del Toro brought the Intensity of Doom.

Film felt anticlimatic with a fairly thin ending. Very plot-driven, not much character depth.

I thought it was brilliant until the last 3rd. It's like they forgot to write an ending. The first 40 minutes is pure cinema heaven. I just don't understand how these sort of major screenwriting errors get past pre-production. No one read this and was like, hey maybe we should develop our main character past Act 2.

Blunt is very good in Sicario. The girl can really do it all. She's so much better than the overrated Jennifer Lawrence. Some people will be disappointed with her performance/character because, as stated a few pages back, the movie doesn't go where you expect. Most people are expecting "girl power!!!" and "kick ass!! feminism!!!" and end up feeling disappointed with the movie, her character and her performance. 

I felt what went on with the character was for the most part good and onboard with, but she was crafted a bit too much as an audience surrogate and aside from the one apartment scene with her FBI partner and the bar scene pre-Jon Bernthal showing up, she had very little in the way of character beyond "by the book exasperated skeptic"

• Like 1

Blunt was fine, but her character was definitely underwritten.

Del Toro brought the Intensity of Doom.

Film felt anticlimatic with a fairly thin ending. Very plot-driven, not much character depth.

Ending was very satisfying to me, it also leaves the door open to a sequel with a boat load of potential.

Blunt was almost Black Widow, but she was under contract to do that flop Gulliver Travels with Jet Black.

The important question is would she have been better or worse than the current BW? :unsure:

Edited by Mojoguy

Ending was very satisfying to me, it also leaves the door open to a sequel with a boat load of potential.

The climatic scene between the two main characters was excellent, but the film felt like it needed a bit more wrap-up and denouement. Felt a little too abrupt given how plot-heavy much of the film is.

Watching Selma, and as I watch these movies, I continue to be disgusted at the thought of segregation. What happened regarding black people in the United States in the past is truly appalling and terrible. Even now, I'm trying not to get angry. It's terrible.

Watching Selma, and as I watch these movies, I continue to be disgusted at the thought of segregation. What happened regarding black people in the United States in the past is truly appalling and terrible. Even now, I'm trying not to get angry. It's terrible.

I found SELMA to be a strangely disconnecting experience. It didn't affect me at all. 

I thought the acting was phenomenal across the board. I think Brolin deserves a Oscar nom for supporting actor. I thought Blunt was fantastic, but she wasn't given much to work with for latter portion of the film.

• Like 3

I noticed RT is starting to add reviews in Spanish, the Mexicans are taking over!

Donald_Trump_by_Gage_Skidmore.jpg

The Martian

The walk

Sicario

Any chance for a best pic nomination?

The Martian- Decent chance, need to see how a couple movies play out. It's locked for some techs and has a good chance in Actor and Screenplay right now.

The other two- Very little chance.

• Like 2

I found SELMA to be a strangely disconnecting experience. It didn't affect me at all.

It has a few issues as a movie; such as the flow between scenes, but as a film depicting a historical event, it is horrifying.

How many drug-cartel movies Del Toro has made at this point ?

It s like he has his own CU, & Lionsgate wants a Sicario sequel ...

He is a cop in a drug-infested world in Traffic, a drug cartel enforcer in Savages, as the most famous Medellin drug dealer ever Pablo Escobar in Escobar, and a hitman with connection to the Medellin drug cartel in Sicario. He can't seem to get out

b15d5909f437d7cb2eb153fedd3990c6.jpg

Edited by zackzack
  • Like 1