WrathOfHan

Weekend Thread | Official estimate: The Martian 55M. Rth Sunday Est Pg43: 13.4M. Gravity will remain October OW record holder.

Anything can be a dumb concept when you phrase it like that. No one should be interested about a guy using the scientific method in order to grow potatoes, either. 

Don't be obtuse. When viewing whatever advertisement for The Martian, one who is not familiar with the novel probably surmises that it is about an astronaut who gets lost in space and tries to return home. When viewing an advertisement for The Walk (an atrocious title), one who is not familiar with Man on Wire surmises that it is about a Man Walking on a wire for an hour plus. Whether critics like it or not, it was never going to be a hit. No one is questioning the quality of it; they are questioning why you guys are astounded by the fact that it is not grabbing the attention of audiences.                         

Edited by PenguinHyphy
  • Like 3

And man, Maze Runner 2 is just collapsing. Certainly the third is going to be the last, right?

There are only 3 books. And Fox always said they wouldn't split it into 2 movies.
  • Like 1

I've seen alot of anger and vitriol thrown around by fanboys on this board, but this intense hate here for a well-reviewed, small-scale Robert Zemeckis drama about a guy who walks across the World Trade Center is.........pretty stupefying, to be honest. 

Fanboys?

Edited by Bishop54
  • Like 1

Please beat Gravity! That movie is pretty overrated, I I would rather have The Martian have the Oct record!

Please go down estimates! Gravity is pretty underrated around here,  I would rather have Gravity have the Oct record!

Don't be obtuse. When viewing whatever advertisement for The Martian, one who is not familiar with the novel probably surmises that it is about an astronaut who gets lost in space and tries to return home. When viewing an advertisement for The Walk (an atrocious title), one who is not familiar with Man on Wire surmises that it is about a Man Walking on a wire for an hour plus. Whether critics like it or not, it was never going to be a hit. No one is questioning the quality of it; they are questioning why you guys are astounded by the fact that it is not grabbing the attention of audiences.                         

I'm not astounded at all. Honestly, I'm surprised it's even as good as it apparently it. I think I predicted like 50 mill total for it. I'm just saying that alot of movies have "dumb concepts" that have become critically and commercially beloved hits. So just saying "It's a dumb concept!!!" is a stupid way to talk about movies. 

• Like 2

Stop talking out of your arse. Have you actually watched The Walk's trailer? 95% of it is showing drama that happens away from "the walk" and the trailer makes it very clear the movie is about much more than just one sequence. The sequence is only hinted at, at the end of the trailer, very briefly.

• Like 4

Sicario deserves to bomb. Why? Not because it isn't good. Because they scheduled it against The Martian. That's what you get releasing against a bigger movie also targeting adult audiences. Same thing with The Walk 

That's a really cynical way of looking at it. 

• Like 4

Deadline

20th Century Fox’s The Martian is conquering the weekend. Friday looks to be $17M-$18M with a three-day opening of $48M-$50M. Should the Ridley Scott film hit the upper part of that estimate, it easily will rank as one of the top four October openers. Rentrak’s PostTrak, which polls throughout the weekend starting on Thursdays, not just on opening day, currently sees 56% guys turning out for the film with 69% over 25. And 66% of the audience is giving the film a definite recommend. Again, it’s early, so these polls could change in the next day.

In second is Sony’s Hotel Transylvania 2 with an estimated $6.3M in its second Friday and a second weekend of $26M, down about 46%. Through 10 days, Dracula’s auberge de comedia will see just over $83M, pacing 8% ahead of 2012’s Hotel Transylvania over the same period. Lionsgate’s Sicario is surging in its wide expansion with an estimated $4M Friday and a weekend that’s between $10M-$11M, raising its cume to $14M-$15M. Warner Bros.’ The Intern is projected to cash in $3.4M and a second sesh that’s also between $10M-$11M, taking its cume north of $35M. Maze Runner: The Scorch Trials is running toward $1.8M today with a third weekend of $6.4M, down 55% for a 17-day cume by Sunday of $62M, which is 16% behind the first film.

Coming up short, way short, is SonyTriStar’s The Walkwhich is expected to post a $1.5M FSS for a five day of $1.9M. When it comes to shelling out for a premium large-format ticket this weekend, rival distribs believe that audiences are choosing The Martian in PLF, not The Walk. Also there’s the notion that The Walk is coming out too soon on the heels of Everest as the novelty Imax film in the market — that Imax aficionados already have OD’d on the snowy mountain and don’t want to relive the World Trade Center (even though it’s portrayed here in a very positive light).

I kind of agree with John Marston. At the end of the day, quality has never lined up with box office receipts; films' performances 'deserve' to be good or bad depending on how the studio has marketed and released a film.

I mean, my favourite film of the year so far grossed $180,000. My favourite film of last year grossed $1.4M. Do these films "deserve" to be box office hits just because of their quality? Maybe, or maybe not. I fully recognise that I don't live in a world in which mass audiences flock to films specifically because I personally quite like them.

• Like 2

Sicario deserves to bomb. Why? Not because it isn't good. Because they scheduled it against The Martian. That's what you get releasing against a bigger movie also targeting adult audiences. Same thing with The Walk 

To you and Tree: You do realize that movies aren't just box office constructs that magically appear when a studio schedules them, right? They're the incredibly hard work of people who have made this their careers. Sicario is a fucking boss movie made by some incredibly talented folks- saying that they "deserved" to watch their good work flop because some studio exec scheduled it on the wrong date is just.......blegh. It's so cynical and rude. Sure, a movie's quality isn't linked to box office, but no well-made movie "deserves" to flop. That's silly to me. 

Edited by cmasterclay
  • Like 5