kayumanggi

mother! | 09.15.17 | Paramount | Darren Aronofsky, Jennifer Lawrence | Razzie Awards frontrunner

10 minutes ago, Jeriosnal said:

What will the new excuse about J-Law's supposed superstar draw power be if this flops?  I quake to think about it.  

It's gonna be hard for this to flop with only a 13m budget. The only reason passengers crossed 100m domestic with bad reviews and Star Wars as competition is because of her and Pratt. However, if you want a better test Red Sparrow would be it.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Jeriosnal said:

What will the new excuse about J-Law's supposed superstar draw power be if this flops?  I quake to think about it.  

Films like mother! are very reviews dependent. Still Passengers got ripped by critics who seemed intent to bury the movie and it made $100 million. Joy did not get the reviews, was about inventing a mop and suffered from severe DOR fatigue after American Hustle, which audiences did not like despite being a hit, and made $56 million. I guess the issue is what we mean by star power. If star power means being able to automatically cause a film to be a big box office hit just by virtue of a star being in it regardless of every oher factor like reviews or the commercial appeal of the project than no one has it. However I would say a film like Passengers where everything went wrong is a good measure of legitimate star power. It requires excuses not to recognize that.

This film cost $13 million. What amount does it need before Jlaw is a "draw"? And if it makes it will she even get the credit? 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, straggler said:

Films like mother! are very reviews dependent. Still Passengers got ripped by critics who seemed intent to bury the movie and it made $100 million. Joy did not get the reviews, was about inventing a mop and suffered from severe DOR fatigue after American Hustle, which audiences did not like despite being a hit, and made $56 million. I guess the issue is what we mean by star power. If star power means being able to automatically cause a film to be a big box office hit just by virtue of a star being in it regardless of every oher factor like reviews or the commercial appeal of the project than no one has it. However I would say a film like Passengers where everything went wrong is a good measure of legitimate star power. It requires excuses not to recognize that.

This film cost $13 million. What amount does it need before Jlaw is a "draw"? And if it makes it will she even get the credit?

There are naysayers who won't credit DiCaprio for being a draw ("...he just picks good scripts!") so an actress, any actress, but especially one who gets people bent out of shape like JLaw...lol, don't hold your breath. But then the "draw/not a draw" arguments often end up being very simplistic and tedious and go in circles, for some it's really about stars they like vs the ones they don't. The middle ground that stars can help but the material matters too isn't exciting enough, I guess.

Edited by BoxOfficeChica
  • Like 2

Oh,wow, the circular 'draw' topic again. IMHO if she and Pratt weren't draws, Passengers wouldn't have made over $300M worldwide, given that it was an original property with no built in fan base, and was trashed by critics. But as @BoxOfficeChicamentioned, many factors are important.  You are never going to get a Star Wars opening based on the name of any star, alone.

• Like 2

So Jennifer Lawrence went to her Facebook page and asked her followers to identify people who went to that Charlottesville rally.

That will really end well since one person has already been misidentified, and the poor guy and his family had to go into hiding.

She's an idiot who reeks with self-importance.

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/jennifer-lawrence-asks-fans-identify-white-supremacists-article-1.3411270?utm_content=buffere4fef&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=NYDailyNewsTw