kayumanggi

mother! | 09.15.17 | Paramount | Darren Aronofsky, Jennifer Lawrence | Razzie Awards frontrunner

2 minutes ago, the beast said:

Agree. The Tension Was Fantastic & Really Hope That Both Michelle Pfeiffer & Jennifer Lawrence Give Great Performances

I know, right??

Amazing how a clip about which I have no clue (in regards to context or actual plotline) made me so tense.

I was literally on the edge of my seat...

I am seriously looking forward to this, and I have purposely avoided all these cryptic clues in posters and stuff.

All I have watched are the clips.

I want to go into this film as "clean" as possible.

• Like 3

Good point, I've skipped the last trailer for that reason. I tried to put this into spoiler tags but the picture of the close up won't hide. I'll put the link to the close up and will put my question in spoiler tags.

Spoiler

Is there writing above the babies' heads in the poster? It looks like the font for the mother! text

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DIHUOvkVYAAxjh1.jpg

Edited by trifle

7 minutes ago, trifle said:

Good point, I've skipped the last trailer for that reason. I'll put another close up of the poster in spoiler tags in case others don't want to look too closely, either.

Hide contents

Is there writing above the babies' heads in the poster? It looks like the font for the mother! text

I know there was a link to the Pfeiffer clip somewhere on the poster, so that might be it.

Edited by WrathOfHan
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

I know there was a link to the Pfeiffer clip somewhere on the poster, so that might be it.

could you please delete the picture from your post? When I realized it wasn't hidden by a spoiler tag I made it a link, instead.

Yeah, that could be. Someone said that kaleidoscope  was discovered by reading something from the poster, and if you click the middle of the kaleidoscope, you get the clip with Pfeiffer and Jen.

Does anyone even know what this film is about?

And am I the only one who sincerely loves not knowing??

There is an art to luring audiences with these vague, cryptic marketing efforts.

I think there is the risk of alienating the very audience you want to attract, but at the same time, it has got to be incredibly thrilling to go into the theatre not knowing what Aronofsky will "hit" you with. After Black Swan, I decided that anytime he would take a female star and place her in the middle of a dark, crazy story, I'd follow him to the ends of the Earth.

He is such a captivating filmmaker, and I love that he takes these actresses to places that they have not been before.

Am I even making sense?

I guess what I mean is that I cannot fucking wait for this movie. 

• Like 2

Just now, Cochofles said:

Does anyone even know what this film is about?

And am I the only one who sincerely loves not knowing??

There is an art to luring audiences with these vague, cryptic marketing efforts.

I think there is the risk of alienating the very audience you want to attract, but at the same time, it has got to be incredibly thrilling to go into the theatre not knowing what Aronofsky will "hit" you with. After Black Swan, I decided that anytime he would take a female star and place her in the middle of a dark, crazy story, I'd follow him to the ends of the Earth.

He is such a captivating filmmaker, and I love that he takes these actresses to places that they have not been before.

Am I even making sense?

I guess what I mean is that I cannot fucking wait for this movie. 

This is the plot TIFF posted:

Spoiler

A young, pregnant woman (Jennifer Lawrence) busies herself in a vast, unfamiliar house, trying to renovate it into submission. Her new, older husband (Javier Bardem) is a brilliant author, acclaimed all over the world for his insight into humanity and his mastery of language. They love each other deeply, so why are their days so fraught with tension? Why do small misunderstandings seem to pile up? Why do these newlyweds on the verge of welcoming new life into the world seem about to tear each other apart?

Darren Aronofsky begins mother! in the unnerving tradition of Roman Polanski's Apartment Trilogy. His camera chases his characters, capturing glimpses of her fear or his aloofness just as they try to profess undying love for one another. This relationship is clearly teetering on a knife's edge. And then guests show up.

Anxious and vulnerable, she just wants to be alone with her husband as they prepare for the baby. Why does he welcome strangers into their house? How can he be so oblivious to what she needs? Seen from a distance, this might look like a small domestic conflict, easily resolved. But as we're plunged into the heart of this fracturing relationship, the conflict takes on far bigger implications. Then it escalates. And escalates.

Fans of Aronofsky's Black Swan and Requiem for a Dream will know he can wind dramatic intensity up to shattering effect. But this is new territory, even for him. Dazzling, shocking, and strangely satisfying, mother! is what movies were made for.

• Like 1

Just now, WrathOfHan said:

This is the plot TIFF posted:

Reveal hidden contents

Nope...no, hell to the naw.

Not reading that.

Thanks for placing it within spoilers. :D

• Like 2

just to let everyone know, i have seen some press info. come through for this film, and the film is actually, technically called:

mother!

with lower-case and exclamation point intact.

ponder what you will out of that...

:jeb!:

Edited by Macleod
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Macleod said:

just to let everyone know, i have seen some press info. come through for this film, and the film is actually, technically called:

mother!

That's why the thread title needs to be lower cased too, but someone (kayu?) keeps reversing it back to all caps.

• Like 2

On 26.08.2017 at 6:01 AM, Macleod said:

mother!

Probably just Aronofsky showing off. But then I'm not a fan

• Like 1

Edited by trifle
  • Like 1