kayumanggi

mother! | 09.15.17 | Paramount | Darren Aronofsky, Jennifer Lawrence | Razzie Awards frontrunner

8 minutes ago, somebody85 said:

I wasn't expecting it to have jump scares. I fucking hate those. Did Black Swan?

Sorry Jennifer Lawrence closing a cabinet and seeing someone standing there is not horror. Neither is what the movie gets to at the end. 

If you found tension in that first hour with the camera staying as close to Lawrences head as possible as she endlessly walked around the same room in a panicked state asking the same questions over and over again then great but there was nothing horrifying happening in this movie.

Go ahead and watch that "You'll Never Forget Where You Were" trailer because the movie I watched wasn't. Society sucks...thanks Aronofsky, glad I waited 2 hours for you to tell me how bad the human race is. 

:ohmyzod::ohmygod::sarah:

Edited by The Futurist

I definitely understand why people don't like this movie, but you're focusing too much on the symbolism @somebody85. The stuff on screen is pretty damn graphic and intense to me at least, but that second one is subjective I suppose. Pretty much everyone, fan or hater, is calling this a disturbing film. 

1 minute ago, The Futurist said:

55503703.jpg?cb=1468527374

Look, sorry. One of the biggest pet peeves I have is to be go into a theater expecting to see something but being given something else. I don't even care if the movies bad, just deliver what you promise.

Watch the trailers for this movie. Even if you stayed away from the marketing you would know before going to see this, that it was advertised as a horror film from the director of Black Swan and Requiem For A Dream.

That's what I paid for. Not what I got.

3 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

I definitely understand why people don't like this movie, but you're focusing too much on the symbolism @somebody85. The stuff on screen is pretty damn graphic and intense to me at least, but that second one is subjective I suppose. Pretty much everyone, fan or hater, is calling this a disturbing film. 

And yeah the stuff on the screen is graphic but it doesn't matter because it's basically one fever dream about humanity and religion (and it takes forever to even get there). Sorry that's not horror to me and that's not what this thing was marketed as.

11 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Marketing is the art of lying & deceiving.

Who knew ?

I don't think they lie and deceive as much as they want people to be focused on one thing and then surprised by something else. Like, I don't know what people thought Mother! was, a home invasion movie? The poster with JLaw's heart is more graphic than most horror movie posters and that one and Bardem one were full of Biblical references. So clues were there to read them. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Marketing is the art of lying & deceiving.

Who knew ?

Then why's that not the case for other films that do well? I don't remember this being an issue with plenty of other films I've seen this year.

This seems to happen more often than not to horror because I guess they are easier to sell to an unexpecting audience. I wish it would stop because it's honestly not fair to make people spend their money on something they didn't show up to see. Many may disagree but that shit really bothers me and I can't place the blame on my local theater. It's not their fault so why should I take money away from them? They are just selling what they've been given.

Go ahead and watch the movie, then come back and watch the trailers. If you like it great but I think people have the right to be upset if they feel conned (even Kristian said it on Schmoesknows). They are both cut extremely deceptively (especially the final one) compared to the actual movie. I've seen a ton of other movies this year and can only name a handful that did that.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

I don't think they lie and deceive as much as they want people to be focused on one thing and then surprised by something else. Like, I don't know what people thought Mother! was, a home invasion movie? The poster with JLaw's heart is more graphic than most horror movie posters and that one and Bardem one were full of Biblical references. So clues were there to read them. 

Dude, watch the final trailer for this movie. If you've seen it, you'll know it's nothing like that and there are no signs of biblical references in it outside of the word God. It looks like a completely different movie, especially as it builds up at the end with that loud score.

• Like 1

Just now, somebody85 said:

Dude, watch the final trailer for this movie. If you've seen it, you'll know it's nothing like that and there are no signs of biblical references in it outside of the word God. It looks like a completely different movie, especially as it builds up at the end with that loud score.

But they mention God! ;)

• Haha 1

Just now, Valonqar said:

But they mention God! ;)

But the way it's mentioned is not implying it like that (and yes I agree that some of the posters were always kind of odd - except the one that looks like a straight rip off of Rosemary's Baby - but I still expected some sort of horror/psychological thriller). 

I didn't want the conventional horror movie. I wanted the art house stuff like The Neon Demon that relied on unsettling imagery and tension instead...but that's not what this movie was. It took forever to even get to the point. Persoanl Shopper has a good 20 minutes where nothing really happens and then it kicks into gear. This didn't. It just kept repeating itself and it felt like it was a lot longer than 2 hours.

I had just seen IT again the night before and that flew by compared to Mother and that's 15 minutes longer. I haven't felt that way in a theater all year. I guess we'll see what the WOM will be by the end of the weekend but I do not predict it to be good if the showing I went to was any indication.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, somebody85 said:

Because it's bullshit. For the people who go in cold, how is it fair to do that to audiences? That's like going to Burger King for a whopper and being served a Big Mac. If I wanted that then I'd go to Mcdonalds. That's why I can never get over films that do this.

Fuck that. I don't care what the movie is if it doesn't deliver what it promises. At that point, I can't help but walk out pretty angry at being conned into rushing out and seeing something that I easily could have waited for. If you liked it great but don't expect others to be satisfied by a film that was clearly marketed to be something else entirely. 

All over the place all I saw was Darren Aronofsky, Jennifer Lawrence and surreal horror film. That sounded like a great recipe for an awesome experience. So no, I wasn't expecting this to be conventional but I was at least expecting it to have some sort of horror/thriller element in it...and it has none.

The message it gets to has nothing new to say and felt like a complete waste of 2 hours. And I don't care how hard it is to market a movie like this. They still didn't deliver on that concept and that needs to stop. So yeah, certain people are going to be pissed off because these movies aren't cheap and you're never going to get that time back.

And before someone says it, I don't feel right asking for my $15+ back to a theater I go to on a close to weekly basis because it's not their fault...it's Paramount's (or whoever the marketing team was).

After such a strong run of movies this summer after It Comes At Night, I thought studios conning audiences with misleading trailers was over. Guess not. We'll see what the WOM is in a few days. I bet it drops like a rock next weekend if my audience was anything to go by.

I agree with your point about bad marketing being something that needs to be stopped, and I would be furious too if I paid for something that was promised as one thing and was delievered as completely different, but I call bullshit on what I bolded from your rant. It's not the movie's fault that the marketing team isn't capable of selling it for what it is. It Comes At Night will be an icon of mismarketing for years to come, but I thought the movie itself - ignoring the marketing completely - was damn good for what it was, which is a psychological thriller about the dark nature of humanity... that was sold to unaware audiences as a monster horror feature. Though yes, that is my personal opinion, anybody that genuinely dislikes ICAN for what it is too is not invalidated at all, I'm just going by my own experiences. And I'm pretty sure there are many other examples of mismarketed films that were good when you stopped thinking about how conned you were by the trailers that sold you something else.

So no, I'm not a believer of "fuck the movie forever because of bad marketing". If the movie sucks, it sucks. If the movie just isn't what you were told it was, that is not its fault, that's the marketing team's fault and you cannot condemn the film itself for it. If you are promised The Beatles, and they give you The Rolling Stones, you can hate the big evil "they" for that, but the Stones' music is still badass. I understand your anger, but I suggest you revisit the film later down the line (like I did with ICAN) with a calmer head and better idea of what it is, begrudgingly or not.

Edited by MCKillswitch123
  • Like 8

13 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

I agree with your point about bad marketing being something that needs to be stopped, and I would be furious too if I paid for something that was promised as one thing and was delievered as completely different, but I call bullshit on what I bolded from your rant. It's not the movie's fault that the marketing team isn't capable of selling it for what it is. It Comes At Night will be an icon of mismarketing for years to come, but I thought the movie itself - ignoring the marketing completely - was damn good for what it was, which is a psychological thriller about the dark nature of humanity... that was sold to unaware audiences as a monster horror feature. Though yes, that is my personal opinion, anybody that genuinely dislikes ICAN for what it is too is not invalidated at all, I'm just going by my own experiences. And I'm pretty sure there are many other examples of mismarketed films that were good when you stopped thinking about how conned you were by the trailers that sold you something else.

So no, I'm not a believer of "fuck the movie forever because of bad marketing". If the movie sucks, it sucks. If the movie just isn't what you were told it was, that not its fault, that's the marketing team's fault and you cannot condemn the film itself for it. If you are promised The Beatles, and they give you The Rolling Stones, you can hate the big evil "they" for that, but the Stones' music is still badass. I understand your anger, but I suggest you revisit the film later down the line (like I did with ICAN) with a calmer head and better idea of what it is, begrudgingly or not.

Right and I do understand where you're coming from and maybe in time I can revisit it down the line. But less than 24 hours later, I can't let it go that easily. I get really hyped to see something (especially when it involves names like this in the horror genre) so when it doesn't deliver, I'm going to leave upset because now I'm never going to get that. And if you think ICAN is an icon of mismarketing, wait until you see this (if you haven't already).

And no it's not the movie/films fault but I can't separate the two and enjoy the movie for what it is at that time and I'm certainly not going to pay to see it again.

Like A Ghost Story is one of my favorite films of the year but I totally get why people hate it and call it pretentious. But the difference with that is it didn't market itself as something it wasn't. If that had been advertised as some loud horror movie than I probably would have been just as upset with it because that's the mindset that I'm going in with. If I go in expecting to see a silent film about existential issues instead of a horror film, I'm probably going to like it a lot more.

Look I hope people enjoy Mother! a lot more than I did but I really wish studios would stop doing this. And it bothers me that the main two films that did it this year (that I recall) directly targeted the horror crowd. Especially when we've been getting so many strong movies in the genre lately.

Edit: When I said what you bolded, I didn't mean forever. I usually watch most major films two times (unless it does nothing for me) and my ratings change pretty frequently with those viewings. So sorry when I said that, I meant at the time of that particular viewing. I know other people are different but that's me. I can't let it go that quickly.

Edited by somebody85
  • Like 2

Just now, AJG said:

Nobody is here. The cinema is cold. This movie is boring. I wanna pee. I've already figured the whole thing out. I'm going toilet.

sounds like you are just having a blast :P   hopefully the toilet isn't boring or cold ;)