kayumanggi

mother! | 09.15.17 | Paramount | Darren Aronofsky, Jennifer Lawrence | Razzie Awards frontrunner

4 minutes ago, Barnack said:

If they keep the high concept secret (or if there is none) I suspect that it will be the reaction of many it is still more a longer teaser than a trailer, it will probably only play for the very frequent movie goers (the 39 million people that goes in average 16 time a year) and not reach those those who go in theater around 4 time a year.

All the marketing having been in theater in trailer playing in front of other movie, show that at least as for now they are not trying to really reach them either. But you just need to convince around 5-6% of those frequent movie goers to go in theater that weekend and for that movie to be a huge success (20m OW).

you're just a bitter old fart

• Like 1

I liked the trailer, but couldn't help but find the Lawrence and Bardem relationship skeevy...I mean, maybe it's b/c the movie is called mother!, but I kept thinking why the hell is Jlaw kissing her dad like that...he's not a young looking 48 and she's not an old looking 26 and that whole relationship seems ugghhh...now, once the horror kicks in, then I'm in, but I'm not sure I can get past that start and relationship - they should have recast one of the 2 roles...or not had them intimate...

• Like 1

Just now, TwoMisfits said:

I liked the trailer, but couldn't help but find the Lawrence and Bardem relationship skeevy...I mean, maybe it's b/c the movie is called mother!, but I kept thinking why the hell is Jlaw kissing her dad like that...he's not a young looking 48 and she's not an old looking 26 and that whole relationship seems ugghhh...now, once the horror kicks in, then I'm in, but I'm not sure I can get past that start and relationship - they should have recast one of the 2 roles...or not had them intimate...

It's definitely intentional; Aronofsky cast Lawrence first, and Idris Elba was originally in talks for Bardem's role.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TwoMisfits said:

Pretty sure the casting is supposed to be intentional here.

• Like 2

Just now, WrathOfHan said:

It's definitely intentional; Aronofsky cast Lawrence first, and Idris Elba was originally in talks for Bardem's role.

Then it was a bad call...unless he really is supposed to be both her lover and her dad...which has its own problems...

I mean, it's definitely gonna be GA off-putting...on screen, it looks like he has her by 35 years (when it's 22)...

Just now, TwoMisfits said:

Then it was a bad call...unless he really is supposed to be both her lover and her dad...which has its own problems...

I mean, it's definitely gonna be GA off-putting...on screen, it looks like he has her by 35 years (when it's 22)...

It won't affect the film's box office. If anything, it just makes the film even more unsettling. It seems like Aronofsky is making JLaw's character innocent and pure, which provides a stark contrast to the other three main roles.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

That movie is not trying to reach necessarily the GA (if you get 0.7% of the population to your movie the first weekend you have a mega hit at that level) or made to make money too, it is probably supposed to be off putting, the poster and trailer seem to indicate an young woman (probably a representation of something else) being intimidated by those older "stronger faced" people and not presented has some healthy lovely relationship.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Jeriosnal said:

Lawrence's acting looks really bad in the trailer; that typical unconvincing freakout she does, like she's on xanax.  Pfeiffer's on point though.  

It became easy to mock Jennifer Lawrence. Some people including you really don't understand how talented she is.

• Like 5

19 hours ago, Krissykins said:

Hmm.

Is this really as much of a horror as they're advertising it as? I get a weird vibe. 

Plus it's worrying that we just got the first trailer and the film comes out in a month

It it looks interesting to me but I don't know if general audiences will bite. 

This looks to be something special. We'll find out if GA goes for it, but it is at 3 mill views on youtube already, and given its $13M budget, I think that's pretty good.  Better than Suburbicon which came out a week ago, at least.  I'm not really sure how to guage pre release success of this kind of movie.  It has gotten attention, though.

Oh, wow.  I just realized I quoted 14 posts. I was gone for a while.... I'll try to trim it down...

20 hours ago, That Floating Guy said:

Everyone is going to wildly overpredict this film and get mad when it makes "only" 75M domestic.

20 hours ago, XO21 said:

Paramount has the whole empty month to build hype...it's the third biggest release after It and Kingsman...if it opens at $20-25m it would be pretty great

15 hours ago, CJohn said:

25/101

$13M budget.... if it gets any of those plus the attention it already seems to be getting, it has more than done its job.

15 hours ago, Alli said:

It was ok.  But my god the pairing of JL and bardem....ugh. they look so...how shall i say it....mismatched?

I'm pretty sure the discomfort is intentional. This relationship isn't presented as a good thing... 

15 hours ago, CoolioD1 said:

i don't buy this 100 million talk coming out of nowhere. i guess it depends entirely on how divisive it ends up being but i think it'll open to like 15-20 at best.

13 hours ago, babz06 said:

It's in awkward release date and barely any hype but it should find some audience. 

13m  OW 

45 Dom 

Fantastic! For either!

11 hours ago, CJohn said:

SOME FEARS ARE BEYOND CONCEPTION is the tagline in the OS trailer.

I'm sure this has nothing to do with the meaning of conception that would be relevant to the baby reflected in the globe Bardem is holding in his poster.

10 hours ago, Barnack said:

Big name with an relationship like Arofonsky can get in Venice/Canne (see Sean Penn last movie) because of the value they have publicity wise, red carpet and so on and keep them good friend.

Toronto accept almost anything.

The movie is probably very little tested (Don't think it played in front of any audience yet), they will learn a lot at the same time people will see it in those festival.

Venice actively had to persuade Paramount to show it at Venice.  Barbera (?) the organizer makes this very clear, as did the announcer at the announcement of the inclusion of mother! in the Venice line up.  Paramount didn't want it shown for fear of spoilers.  Variety in its 'unerring' prediction said it was one of the films surprisingly but 'certainly' not going to Venice.  The release date was changed to immediately after the festivals when the film went to the festivals.

9 hours ago, filmnerdjamie said:

I think it looks great... but also the GA will despise this. 

Could be.  And could still be an amazing success.

8 hours ago, TwoMisfits said:

The relationship is SUPPOSED to make you uncomfortable, as the blood in the lightbulb and the flashing scenes etc etc are supposed to make you uncomfortable. It isn't a Nicholas Sparks movie, clearly, and shouldn't be.

• Like 2