WrathOfHan

Official Weekend Estimates: Goosebumps - 23.5M; The Martian - 21.5M; Bridge of Spies - 15.4M; Crimson Peak - 12.9M (Page 1)

Well, those lavish sets and costumes ain't gonna pay for themselves, ya know.

Then if you can't keep the budget under a certain amount then why make the movie?

Recreating a Victorian style house alone, cost a lot of money, dude.

So then it falls on the studio heads who green lit the producition.  What film or films did they use as a comparison that allowed them to believe that this film would generate the kind of interest it would need to justify a 55 million dollar budget?

Except it kinda isn't.

Don't go beyond this floor

creepy hands crawling over Mia

malevolent forces in the house

channels The Changeling

How is it not a horror movie, or better yet, how is it not marketed as one?

India just saw its Pitch Perfect 2 equivalent performance this weekend - but with an out and out male targeted movie. Pyar Ka Punchnama was released 4 years ago and made 12 crore lifetime gross and became a cult hit on video and cable.

This weekend Pyar Ka Punchnama 2 exceeded 13 crore in just 2 days. Kind of amazing that the second movie would exceed the first in just 2 days, shows how big a following it developed in the 4 years. Would definitely recommend it to anyone looking for a funny Bollywood movie to watch.

Edited by grim22
  • Like 1

Then if you can't keep the budget under a certain amount then why make the movie?

Just because the average horror movie these days appears is if it was thrown together in 5 minutes with nobodies in the cast and shot on a camera that seems to be held by a drunken fool the entire movie doesn't mean an entire genre has a spending cap on it. Come on now. Crimson Peak is meant to be an ode to the kind of scare flicks that went out of style decades ago before the genre became all about gore, nudity, and generally being inflicted with ADHD, and the budget actually shows on the screen.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 1

Just because the average horror movie these days appears is if it was thrown together in 5 minutes with nobodies in the cast and shot on a camera that seems to be held by a drunken fool the entire movie doesn't mean an entire genre has a spending cap on it. Come on now. Crimson Peak is meant to be an ode to the kind of scare flicks that went out of style decades ago before the genre became all about gore, nudity, and generally being inflicted with ADHD, and the budget actually shows on the screen.

Yeah the budget does make sense for this film and it paid off because it looks beautiful. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem like the audience was there.

This Fall season is reminding me why Fall used to be a bad time to release movies...it still is to some extent. Kid's movies are always going to do well and it seems like the market can bear at least one adult-skewing breakout (this year it's The Martian), but I feel like with less competition some of these other adult films like The Walk or Everest would've done much better.

I think Hollywood kinda got carried away after the success of Gravity and others in recent years, thinking the market could carry all of these big movies.

But when should they release them? It's not like there's space in winter.

Is it just me or did Hollywood increase their output this year? I don't remember this many big-budget movies ever being released in September and October. A few, yes. But not this many.

Is it just me or did Hollywood increase their output this year? I don't remember this many big-budget movies ever being released in September and October. A few, yes. But not this many.

I guess it depends on your definition of "big budget". Remember that THE MARTIAN was originally scheduled later, so I can't really fault other studios for trying to fit THE WALK into late September and CP in mid October.

This Fall season is reminding me why Fall used to be a bad time to release movies...it still is to some extent. Kid's movies are always going to do well and it seems like the market can bear at least one adult-skewing breakout (this year it's The Martian), but I feel like with less competition some of these other adult films like The Walk or Everest would've done much better.

I think Hollywood kinda got carried away after the success of Gravity and others in recent years, thinking the market could carry all of these big movies.

A few of these films could have moved to August though. Not necessarily be a breakout success but atleast they'd have more room to breath. 

Hollywood is moving to the year-round blockbusters model. In 2016, January has 13 Hours, KFP3, Ride Along 2 etc. Feb has Deadpool, Zoolander 2. March has Zootopia and Batman v Superman, April has Jungle Book and The Huntsman. And this is after movies like Warcraft and Peregrine moved out of March and April. The market can definitely support a big movie every month, it is when a number of them are released back to back outside of summer that movies will suffer.

Edited by grim22
  • Like 4

Hollywood is moving to the year-round blockbusters model. In 2016, January has 13 Hours, KFP3, Ride Along 2 etc. Feb has Deadpool, Zoolander 2. March has Zootopia and Batman v Superman, April has Jungle Book and The Huntsman. And this is after movies like Warcraft and Peregrine moved out of March and April. The market can definitely support a big movie every month, it is when a number of them are released back to back outside of summer that movies will suffer.

I am here for the year-round blockbusters fuckery Hollywood is creating. Gods of Egypt is gonna be a monster bomb for Lionsgate. 150M budget and early April release lmao.

I guess it depends on your definition of "big budget". Remember that THE MARTIAN was originally scheduled later, so I can't really fault other studios for trying to fit THE WALK into late September and CP in mid October.

I suppose it is a stretch to call The Walk "big budget," but considering 3D and IMAX you know the studio was hoping for 100 mil. Anyway, I don't think it would've made THAT big of a difference, but I feel like The Martian stole a lot of those adult audiences that show up in the fall.