CaptainJackSparrow

The Jungle Book | 543.1m Overseas | 885.6m Worldwide

14 minutes ago, Agafin said:

I think TJB can have a Minions or JW-like run in Japan. Which would result in a gross between $50m and $80m (at today's exchange rates). Summer weekdays and Obon festival are going to really boost it so it doesn't need to have consistently strong weekends like, say Zootopia to hit those numbers. It's weekdays will be far stronger I believe.

Imo, JB's chances of hitting the billion are really high right now. Of course, Japan can always disappoint and reject it but given Disney's streak in that country these last few years, that's rather unlikely, especially with the great reviews.

I'd say that it's 50-50. It's probably going to be a big hit in Japan, but it might not be enough when we consider what it has left in other places.

• Like 1

Just now, Purple Minion said:

It did $3.7M OS + $4.25 DOM = Almost $8M WW. It should comfortably pass $900M next week, what are its odds to share the billion club with Rogers and Hopps?

Personally I think it can still make another $10m - $20m DOM and maybe another $10m - $20m OS, meaning it would be at $915m - $935m without Japan and South Korea. So with maybe $50M - $70M in Japan and $20M in Korea, It could just trickle over. At the lowest of my estimates, it'll make $985M finish, optimistically though, maybe $1.025B finish.

I'd say it very much depends on the Japanese take at the moment, so probably a 50/50 chance.

• Like 1

TJB had a 4.25m weekend DOM.

Movies like this with great WOM with summer kicking in, with the help of strong weekdays, can add a lot on the lower side. Those 1m, 0.750m, 0.5m weekends consistently add up. Won't be surprised if TJB adds 20m more dom. Will add 12m more from rest of the weekends combined. Should add 8m from all the rest of the weekdays. If it gets close to 1b WW, Disney could extend the DOM run.

Current WW is 895m. Add 20m more from dom we get 915m.

So is 85m away from 1b.

It did 3.7m OS so should add 10m more.

WW increases to 925m with SK and Japan remaining.

If so considering reputable members are saying sub-20m in SK, let's say 15m.

So WW is 925 + 15 (SK) = 940m.

Japan will need ~60m. Or maybe ~55m considering it could add a couple more than 15m SK and a couple more than 10m OS.

Edited by a2knet
  • Like 6

opens this week in SK.

a few notes:

- Presales took over Warcraft by 2k. Currently #2 behind the Handmaiden. (The Handmaiden 18k, TJB 16k and Warcraft 14k) since the Handmaiden is the holdover, presales for that one includes the tickets for the Tuesday and Wednesday shows while TJB and Warcraft presales are mostly for Thursday, cause the presales for the weekend hasn't even made widely available yet. All-in-all, good, but nothing spectacular. 

- for comparisons, Apocalypse's opening day (Culture Wednesday with discounts) presales were at 195k, and Jurassic World similar time last year took about 167k. will see how much TJB can rise from its current place till the opening day.

- It would easily beat the competitions that are opening on the same day (Warcraft and the Conjuring 2, Warcraft seemed to do better at presales but the bad WOM has already spread and it'll be very frontloaded with the fanboy/girls.) but would have to see how it plays against the Handmaiden which is setting the new R-rated BO records. Good thing that it's a family film and it gets the IMAX/3D screens, which are not many, but still.

- It'll surely have a good WOM and the interesting thing is that here it is more promoted as the Pirates of the Caribbean kinda adventure film, which I think is a brilliant idea, since not many people here feel nostalgic about the original animation. The first POTC did about 2M which was enough to made it crack the yearly top 20, and it'd be translated into roughly about 3.1M~3.3M/$22~$23M these days. I still think TJB can do slightly above or below $20M.

- It depends heavily on how ID4 does, since it seems more like a film that has to rely on a leggy run like Zootopia's, and ID4 is the main competition in its early weeks to decide whether it can sustain itself against competition or not.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, a2knet said:

TJB had a 4.25m weekend DOM.

Movies like this with great WOM with summer kicking in, with the help of strong weekdays, can add a lot on the lower side. Those 1m, 0.750m, 0.5m weekends consistently add up. Won't be surprised if TJB adds 20m more dom. Will add 12m more from rest of the weekends combined. Should add 8m from all the rest of the weekdays. If it gets close to 1b WW, Disney could extend the DOM run.

Current WW is 885m. Add 20m more from dom we get 905m.

So is 95m away from 1b.

It did 3.7m OS so should add 10m more.

WW increases to 915m with SK and Japan remaining.

If so considering reputable members are saying sub-20m in SK, let's say 15m.

So WW is 915 + 15 (SK) = 930m.

Japan will need ~70m. Or maybe ~65m considering it could add a couple more than 15m SK and a couple more than 10m OS.

Umm no, the current total is $895m (don't mind what the title says, it hasn't been updated yet). So based on your calculations it'll probably need $55 to $60m in Japan (instead of $65m to $70m).

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Agafin said:

Umm no, the current total is $895m (don't mind what the title says, it hasn't been updated yet). So based on your calculations it'll probably need $55 to $60m in Japan (instead of $65m to $70m).

Thanks, I edited my post.

1 hour ago, cannastop said:

@yjs

Looks like imdb is wrong. They said The Jungle Book was already released in South Korea.

Oh yeah, they pushed it by a week. Probably to avoid the Handmaiden. Not sure if it was a good decision, it could have attracted some family audience that can't go to the R rated Handmaiden during the four day weekend we just had :( plus, sooner it opens, better the WOM, longer the legs. :P 

• Like 1