Dementeleus

Fanboy Wars Thread: Personal Attacks not allowed | With Digital Fur Technology

On 9/14/2016 at 4:48 PM, Emerald kikyou said:

Marvel really fear using females as leads. It took them 9 years to decide to make a movie about a female superhero. I always wanted a black widow movie , but I guess it's too late now.

WB on the other hand was rushing to make another after Catwoman (20 years after Supergirl).  It stalled on multiple attempts at a WW movie for well over a decade and it will be a mere 13 years by the time WW comes out since CW and during that time there will have had 6 more Batman & Superman movies, Green Lantern, Jonah Hex, The Watchmen, Suicide Squad

Then there's this gem from 2007

http://deadline.com/2007/10/warners-robinoff-gets-in-catfight-with-girls-3362/

This comes to me from three different producers, so I know it’s real: Warner Bros president of production Jeff Robinov has made a new decree that “We are no longer doing movies with women in the lead”. This Neanderthal thinking comes after both Jodie Foster’s The Brave One (even though she’s had big recent hits with Flightplan and Panic Room) and Nicole Kidman’s The Invasion (as if three different directors didn’t have something to do with the awfulness of the gross receipts) under-performed at the box office recently.

Permutter is a sexist dinosaur but alas he is far from unique

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

WB on the other hand was rushing to make another after Catwoman (20 years after Supergirl).  It stalled on multiple attempts at a WW movie for well over a decade and it will be a mere 13 years by the time WW comes out since CW and during that time there will have had 6 more Batman & Superman movies, Green Lantern, Jonah Hex, The Watchmen, Suicide Squad

Then there's this gem from 2007

http://deadline.com/2007/10/warners-robinoff-gets-in-catfight-with-girls-3362/

Permutter is a sexist dinosaur but alas he is far from unique

OMG I remember that Jeff Robinov quote. You either hate vagina or are completely oblivious if you don't see the blatant sexism there.

11 hours ago, filmlover said:

OMG I remember that Jeff Robinov quote. You either hate vagina or are completely oblivious if you don't see the blatant sexism there.

maybe they're just super dumb idk, I mean, they are studio executives... if they were indeed sexist, why would they greenlight Invasion and The Brave One (among others) in first place? 

DC Comics Humiliates Marvel With August 2016 Marketshare, As Diamond Sets A Record Month Of Sales

Marvel had almost a third more comics on sale in August than DC Comics. 93 comics to DC’s 75.

Yet DC Comics destroyed Marvel Comics on marketshare through August across the board, and placed 9 titles in the top 10.

Harley Quinn #1 took the no 1 spot, beating out All-Star Batman #1 and Suicide Squad #1 with more issues of Harley Quinn, Suicide Squad, Batman, Justice League and Supergirltaking up the rest of the top ten.

It took Amazing Spider-Man #16, kicking off their Dead No More event to get Marvel into the Top Ten. Everything else Marvel published was beaten by four comics starring Harley Quinn – and one by Supergirl.

Which yes, sounds insane. This is both the power of DC Rebirth, but also the lack of reverberation in the market from the poorly performing Civil War II crossover, Star Wars sales slipping and the Inhumans storylines having very little traction.

FULL ARTICLE: http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/09/16/dc-comics-humiliates-marvel-with-august-2016-marketshare-as-diamond-sets-a-record-month-of-sales/

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Captain Craig said:

I've decided to Trade Wait DC's Rebirth. Heard good things about a number of titles. 

Might be easier now, because a lot of them are released twice monthly it's a lot of comics that could cost a pretty penny. And a lot of the #1s and special issues are pretty hard to come by at the moment. It's a question of getting the inevitable Omnibus of all the Specials, ala the New 52 omnibus, or pick and chose the series you want.

7 hours ago, Napoleon said:

DC Comics Humiliates Marvel With August 2016 Marketshare, As Diamond Sets A Record Month Of Sales

Marvel had almost a third more comics on sale in August than DC Comics. 93 comics to DC’s 75.

Yet DC Comics destroyed Marvel Comics on marketshare through August across the board, and placed 9 titles in the top 10.

Harley Quinn #1 took the no 1 spot, beating out All-Star Batman #1 and Suicide Squad #1 with more issues of Harley Quinn, Suicide Squad, Batman, Justice League and Supergirltaking up the rest of the top ten.

It took Amazing Spider-Man #16, kicking off their Dead No More event to get Marvel into the Top Ten. Everything else Marvel published was beaten by four comics starring Harley Quinn – and one by Supergirl.

Which yes, sounds insane. This is both the power of DC Rebirth, but also the lack of reverberation in the market from the poorly performing Civil War II crossover, Star Wars sales slipping and the Inhumans storylines having very little traction.

FULL ARTICLE: http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/09/16/dc-comics-humiliates-marvel-with-august-2016-marketshare-as-diamond-sets-a-record-month-of-sales/

iJack will love this news! Great for DC, Rebirth is kicking butt.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, lupinw45 said:

How so? It's simply a relaunch. Not a reboot in the sense of Crisis on Infinite Earths or Flashpoint. Even though Flashpoint was a soft reboot.

If you're going on strict continuity terms, it sort of is. The status quo for characters is not the same as it was just prior to Rebirth. I.e. they are not (all) the same as their New 52 incarnations. But neither are they their pre-new 52 versions, either.

2 hours ago, DamienRoc said:

If you're going on strict continuity terms, it sort of is. The status quo for characters is not the same as it was just prior to Rebirth. I.e. they are not (all) the same as their New 52 incarnations. But neither are they their pre-new 52 versions, either.

The only one I can think of is Superman, since they killed off DCnU Superman. What I meant is that it's not a company wide reboot on the scale of COIE.

4 minutes ago, lupinw45 said:

The only one I can think of is Superman, since they killed off DCnU Superman.

Wonder Woman, too. New origin seems to be doing away with the "daughter of Zeus" thing that came out in Azarello's run.

(Didn't New52 Batman die, tho? I haven't read all of Snyder's run, but I seem to remember that being a thing, which is why Gordon ended up wearing the Bat Mecha Suit.)

4 minutes ago, lupinw45 said:

What I meant is that it's not a company wide reboot on the scale of COIE.

Is it establishing a new status quo in an effort to provide a jumping on point for readers? If so, it's a reboot.