Dementeleus

Fanboy Wars Thread: Personal Attacks not allowed | With Digital Fur Technology

Regardless of quality the fact that Thor Ragnarok has a legit shot at $300M domestic does show why studios are desperate for shared universes. No way anyone would think Thor 3 would reach $300M if it was part of a regular franchise. Thor The Dark World barely made $200M and a decent but not great multiplier of 2.4x. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Steele131 said:

The Comic Con was the worst trailer I’ve seen this year. I like the director but the film just looks bad. Forced cringy comedy, bad CG. 

I’m not trying to hate in Marvel, I do enjoy their films but it gets kinda boring when all they do is turn to comedy.

It sounds like the problem is with you rather than Marvel. Forced cringy comedy? All they do is turn to comedy? Sweeping generalizations that aren't constructive is something I'm used to reading particularly when it comes to the MCU. Never mind how well the second Thor Ragnarok trailer did in terms of reception and views, never mind how critically and financially successful Marvel has been particularly with Phase 3.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Tessa Thompson looks awesome in Thor Ragnarok, but yeah, other than that, it doesn't look good. I love Cate Blanchet, but MCU villains are always trash and this looks like a big embarrassment for her. Chris Hemsworth is not a strong lead but Mark Ruffalo will probably carry this movie just like ScarJo did in Winter Soldier, yet these two don't get their solo films somehow.

32 minutes ago, Haley Ross said:

It sounds like the problem is with you rather than Marvel. Forced cringy comedy? All they do is turn to comedy? Sweeping generalizations that aren't constructive is something I'm used to reading particularly when it comes to the MCU. Never mind how well the second Thor Ragnarok trailer did in terms of reception and views, never mind how critically and financially successful Marvel has been particularly with Phase 3.

I think a big mistake that people make when judging the MCU is they try to use their subjective opinions to predict a film's success. Every time they do that with the MCU, they end up being wrong. Thor: Ragnarok will be the highest domestic grossing Thor movie in the franchise. And then people will move on to complaining about the next MCU film.

The bottom line is Disney/Marvel should keep doing what they are doing with the MCU because it is working.

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Tessa Thompson looks awesome in Thor Ragnarok, but yeah, other than that, it doesn't look good. I love Cate Blanchet, but MCU villains are always trash and this looks like a big embarrassment for her. Chris Hemsworth is not a strong lead but Mark Ruffalo will probably carry this movie just like ScarJo did in Winter Soldier, yet these two don't get their solo films somehow.

:hahaha:

I love DCEU fans throwing shade on MCU villains forgetting they had Juggalo Joker, Belly dancing model, a cgi mess monster, LotR cave troll doomsday and Jesse Eisenbergs Luthor as villains. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 10

1 hour ago, Napoleon said:

Because Lex Luther was such a good villain in BVS, just like Enchantress.

• Haha 1

Even the villains in Wonder Woman and Logan weren't that good. Ego and Lego Joker this year were good, I liked them. Ironically the one imo was the worst out of the 5 CBMs, had the best villain, which was Vulture.

2 hours ago, Walt Disney said:

I think a big mistake that people make when judging the MCU is they try to use their subjective opinions to predict a film's success. Every time they do that with the MCU, they end up being wrong. Thor: Ragnarok will be the highest domestic grossing Thor movie in the franchise. And then people will move on to complaining about the next MCU film.

In other words, the same thing MCU always fans do with DCEU: Remember how most of the usual MCU-fanatics here underpredicted all the DCEU films?

Remember when Suicide Squad was supposed to be horribly impacted by how BvS was received?
Then it ended up grossing only 5 million less than BvS!

Remember when Wonder Woman was supposed to be impacted by how MOS/BvS/SS were received?

Then it ended up being the highest-grossing domestic DCEU movie.

Rememeber how Gal Gadot was supposed to bring down Wonder Woman  with her 'awful acting and lack of charisma'?

Then she got all kinds of superlative reviews for her *gasp* solid acting and supernova-level charisma in Wonder Woman ?

Yeah, man...that's what stans do...

Stans will stan...

MCU stans or DCEU stans...it's all stanning to me! :D 

Edited by Cochofles
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Warmaster506 said:

If JL can get to $400 million domestic it will be an achievement that the MCU has not matched.

Two $400 million films would be huge.

But the MCU fanatics will dismiss it with a "meh...WW and JL are iconic properties...why would they not gross that much?" (conveniently forgetting how they totally underpredicted those before)... :D 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ZeeSoh said:

I love DCEU fans throwing shade on MCU villains forgetting they had Juggalo Joker, Belly dancing model, a cgi mess monster, LotR cave troll doomsday and Jesse Eisenbergs Luthor as villains. 

Yeah that one makes no sense.   "Marvel villains suck".....and giving DC a pass?

At least Marvel has Loki, Pierce, and Vulture.   The DCEU has raised the bar on awful villains.

Which of course should illustrate how overrated "great villains" are to begin with.   That's never been a requirement in movies.   Many of our favorite heroes had generic or forgettable villains.   It didn't hurt WW or GotG at all that the villains are forgettable.

"Bad villains" is just a talking point that got repeated over and over.   Kinda like the idea that all Marvel movies are the "same tone"....since when?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I wasn't following box office at that point but it kinda feels puzzling to me how The Avengers managed to gross such a yuge amount of money ($1.5b), when the highest grossing film that MCU had thus far was Iron Man 2 which did $600m.

Their average per movie was actually about $450m. 

And then suddenly, doing more than double their best? I get that it the "team-up" factor should have played a role but still it feels like a very big increase to me.

Someone please explain.

Edited by FantasticBeasts

5 hours ago, ZeeSoh said:

One of the villains mentioned here is actually legit good :ph34r: