Dementeleus

Fanboy Wars Thread: Personal Attacks not allowed | With Digital Fur Technology

28 minutes ago, Barnack said:

If the actual review embargo will drop Wednesday morning at 12:50 a.m. PST

First showing for regular audience in majors market start in the latest :

http://www.allocine.fr/seance/film-126527/toutes/

Wednesday 12:30 am PST, the embargo lift after regular paying audience will be in theater watching it in France and I imagine after South Korean would be out of them, less than 40 hours before domestic audience will watch it. I tend to see extremely late embargo when it is released after regular paying audience started to see the movie (it become just hard to keep it after that, few in those market will respect it)

For sure, but I am not sure the universe is the metric here, the possible impact of reviews on the franchise is, DCEU has proven to be extremely resistant to bad reviews and to open like crazy even with 3x% type of reception, Universal dark universe could have used them.

The Mummy was months ago.  Maybe they had this bright idea recently.  It's new and wobbly enough the second week they were reviewing old Star Trek.

Not lifting the embargo after the movie has already opened seems fruitless but they can avoid having that RT tag slapped all over twitter and Fandango when people go to buy tickets on Thur.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, DAR said:

So the Ringer came up with a list of the 50 best superhero films.  They have a specific formula so some films are going to be higher or lower than they should be.   

http://superheroes.theringer.com/?_ga=2.22272507.175756268.1510597262-1230179326.1510597262

But remember guys it's just a list.  It doesn't affect your personal lists in any way

I love how they start off with "we at The Ringer set out to develop a ranking that goes beyond personal opinions"...and then they immediately reveal that 2 of the metrics they used were personal opinions.   lol..."lists"...always prove you can't measure art.

They put  my #1 CBMs at #47, #48, #41, #36, #17 so that list isn't working for me.  (I like how even the author had a problem with #48)   Dredd at #60?   Mystery Men not even in the top 90?    Oh I'm throwing stuff.

6 hours ago, ChipMunky said:

This is way off topic, and I don't want people to get all up in a fuss...

But I am curious as to why a lot of people outright hate Zack Snyder? Yet most, all?, of the people that work with him/for him seem to love the guy. It's quite strange.

I don't hate him at all.   He made one of my #1 CBMs of all time so he gets a lifetime pass from me.   I also love Superman and hate what he did with him...but...lifetime pass.

3 hours ago, grey ghost said:

We joke about Disney paying off critics.

WB literally buys a huge share of RT and withholds their reviews till OD for one of their biggest, recent films.

And for whatever reason we're not allowed to discuss it in other threads.

People are pissed at Disney when they should be worried about Fandango and WB controlling who hears the voice of critics.

I don't know about that, but I did hear this the other day and it illustrated how the "Disney" word gets people more fired up than the "Warner Brothers" words.

Listen to what Jon Schnepp says starting about 4:50.   He actually mentions that WB owned a ridiculous percentage of all media (80%) and no one on the entire panel blinked or bothered to comment on it (whether it's true or not...not a single comment).   They were much more concerned about Disney and couldn't be bothered to worry about WB.   That was amazing to watch.

• Thanks 1

Meh. I'm of the 'Never ascribe to malice what can be explained by stupidity' opinion. It's a bit of a stretch to imagine WB would go to all this trouble and throw around their weight at RT solely for the purpose of delaying JL reviews by what, like one day? Much more likely that some idiots at RT thought it would be a good idea to withhold reviews for the sake of advertising their shitty new show that no-one wanted or gives a crap about.

Seriously though, RT can go fuck itself with this SeeIt/SkipIt bullshit. If you want to get people watching a new show, do it by including quality content and new stuff people actually want to see. Don't do it by fucking withholding the main reason people actually come to your site. Otherwise people aren't going to be excited for the show, they're just going to hate you for being a moneygrubbing dick. Before this, I had no strong feelings one way or another on SeeIt/SkipIt, but now I'm going to be avoiding the thing like the fucking plague.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Goffe said:

His movies are cynical and don't have an exactly favorable view of society, which seems to be a hard no for comic book movies. He also can't pull off what is trying to say with his movies and seems more concerned with punching.

I think that sums up why people dislike him as a director.

Lots of people dislike lots of directors. But Snyder seems to get outright hatred spewed at him at a far greater rate. 

Tbh, I don't remember 300 and Watchmen being anywhere near as divisive as the DCEU movies that ZS has directed, but neither of those had David Hack Goyer aka I hate comic books and superheroes and the only reason why TDK trilogy worked was because I was working next to Christopher and Jonathan Nolan writing them. And I would argue that script is arguably MOS's biggest fault, and easily one of BVS's biggest as well.

On 11/13/2017 at 9:40 PM, Harpospoke said:

I love how they start off with "we at The Ringer set out to develop a ranking that goes beyond personal opinions"...and then they immediately reveal that 2 of the metrics they used were personal opinions.   lol..."lists"...always prove you can't measure art.

They put  my #1 CBMs at #47, #48, #41, #36, #17 so that list isn't working for me.  (I like how even the author had a problem with #48)   Dredd at #60?   Mystery Men not even in the top 90?    Oh I'm throwing stuff.

I don't hate him at all.   He made one of my #1 CBMs of all time so he gets a lifetime pass from me.   I also love Superman and hate what he did with him...but...lifetime pass.

I don't know about that, but I did hear this the other day and it illustrated how the "Disney" word gets people more fired up than the "Warner Brothers" words.

Listen to what Jon Schnepp says starting about 4:50.   He actually mentions that WB owned a ridiculous percentage of all media (80%) and no one on the entire panel blinked or bothered to comment on it (whether it's true or not...not a single comment).   They were much more concerned about Disney and couldn't be bothered to worry about WB.   That was amazing to watch.

Disney is bigger than Time warner

http://www.businessinsider.com/the-30-biggest-media-owners-in-the-world-2016-5

Disney is a 22.45B company

Comcast 19.72B (Universal)

Fox 18.67B

Viacom 9.6N (Paramount)

Time warner 4.57B

2 minutes ago, Dexter of Suburbia said:

Fox 18.67B

Viacom 9.6N (Paramount)

Time warner 4.57B

Not sure how relevant media revenue is for a metric about this.

Media revenue includes advertising but also things like circulation revenues for newspapers and magazines. (Specially for Warner that will not sell ads on HBO) or with their giant content library.

But yes Disney is bigger than Warner from many metric point of views

TWX Time Warner Inc 87.51 -0.99 -1.12%   16.64 68.13B 1.82 29,318.00 3,914.00 8,407.00
FOXA Twenty-First Cent... 28.03 -0.52 -1.82%   17.27 51.35B 1.26 28,500.00 3,270.00 7,044.00
DIS Walt Disney Co 103.17 -1.58 -1.51%   18.16 159.24B 1.49 55,137.00 9,366.00 16,733.00
CMCSA Comcast Corporation 36.86 -0.39 -1.05%   17.39 172.28B 1.69 80,403.00 9,045.00 26,732.00
CBS CBS Corporation 56.41 +0.46 0.82%   16.39 22.57B 1.29 13,166.00 1,602.00 3,095.00

VIAB Viacom, Inc. 24.54 -0.18 -0.73%   6.78 10.14B 3.24 12,488.00 1,471.00 2,885.00
LGF Lions Gate Entert... 26.09       120.39 4.01B   3,201.50 14.50 135.50

Walt disney is worth more than the double of WB at the stock market and have revenue almost twice has big and an ebitda twice as big. Maybe not in the media side, but ESPN is 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dexter of Suburbia said:

Fox 18.67B

Viacom 9.6N (Paramount)

Time warner 4.57B

Well 2 thngs:

1-Like I said...whether it's true or not...the statement about WB generated zero interest from the panel.   No one seemed a bit concerned about "scary monopolies" if it was WB controlling 80% of all media.    Only the Disney word got them concerned.   So there is an anti-Disney element to this thing.

2-Making more money doesn't mean you control more media, does it?   You can control more things and still make less money if things don't go well.

20 hours ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Tbh, I don't remember 300 and Watchmen being anywhere near as divisive as the DCEU movies that ZS has directed, but neither of those had David Hack Goyer aka I hate comic books and superheroes and the only reason why TDK trilogy worked was because I was working next to Christopher and Jonathan Nolan writing them. And I would argue that script is arguably MOS's biggest fault, and easily one of BVS's biggest as well.

300 was a very popular movie and was rather well liked. It was really helped by the source material and is based on of the most famous battles and last stands in military history. 

It had a clear purpose and ending and cool characters and of course, the best part of the film was the one-liners.

The major issue with the film was its picturization from a historical point of view of the Persian Empire which I think gave a lot of people today an incorrect picture of the Persians.  

On 14/11/2017 at 4:25 AM, Goffe said:

JL could make 200m total and there wouldn’t any reboot talk. Shared universes don’t work like that, they can change the route of the films on the go.

Besides, given the special circumstances around JL and WW astronomical success, it would be foolish to think a reboot would be even considered as an option. 

The things they need to jettison are Gotham and Metropolis.

SH's work better in the real world.

In some interviews I ve read from some VFX artists and supervisors, MCU 's movies are the gold standard in terms of quality when it comes to VFX/CGI heavy blockbuster filmmaking in Hollywood.

It s what other movies aspire to be.

Also, the MCU centralized pipeline at Marvel Studios when it comes to VFX post production is said to be one of the most advanced & efficient in the world.

This pipeline allow them to juggle the work of many VFX companies for one film with easy ways to exchange assets.

For example, Framestore would do the reference Rocket Rancoon that later can be used and worked on by other VFX studios depending on the scene and the set piece.

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 3

20 hours ago, The Futurist said:

In some interviews I ve read from some VFX artists and supervisors, MCU 's movies are the gold standard in terms of quality when it comes to VFX/CGI heavy blockbuster filmmaking in Hollywood.

It s what other movies aspire to be.

Also, the MCU centralized pipeline at Marvel Studios when it comes to VFX post production is said to be one of the most advanced & efficient in the world.

This pipeline allow them to juggle the work of many VFX companies for one film with easy ways to exchange assets.

For example, Framestore would do the reference Rocket Rancoon that later can be used and worked on by other VFX studios depending on the scene and the set piece.

I also read something interesting said by Waititi that nobody really picked onto in an interview when asked about the pressure of these big VFX movies having to be pre-vized to death not leaving leeway for improvisation or having to waste a lot of resources for massive reshoots. He used the sequence when Hulk reverts back to Banner as an example. He said he shot it casually without much worry because he knew that if he didn't like the camera angle in post, the VFX team would have scanned the whole set in ultra high definition at 360° (in this case, the quinjet interior), they could just render the environment, keeping the same performance shot from a whole new camera angle without having to reshoot the scene from scratch nor set foot on that set again.

:winomg:

It's like the perfcap shooting process (capturing a 3D environment and be able to maneuver a virtual camera inside it at will around the actor) applied to real live action.

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Lordmandeep said:

300 was a very popular movie and was rather well liked. It was really helped by the source material and is based on of the most famous battles and last stands in military history. 

It had a clear purpose and ending and cool characters and of course, the best part of the film was the one-liners.

The major issue with the film was its picturization from a historical point of view of the Persian Empire which I think gave a lot of people today an incorrect picture of the Persians.  

Any relation between the actual battle of Thermopylae and what we saw in 300 is pure coincidence..........

• Like 2

Oh yeah, that was one of the Taika s biggest concern about making Ragnarok and the VFX supervisor of the movie said he tried his best to allow Taika to have a very loose and adaptative environment.

Ragnarok was one of the biggest VFX undertaking of the MCU yet.

Also, I think it is in the Art of the VFX piece, we learn that having the asagardians in the middle of the bridge at the end of the movie was a very late decision and they had to do some super complex rotoscoping to put those people in the final scene.

Oh yeah and I just realized/understood recently what Lidar scanning is, boy, the things we can do now, people have no idea...

So I found this little quote from Zack Snyder about superman and Thor

“[Superman] is the freaking […] biggest superhero on the planet. He’s the father of every superhero. [Deborah and I] were just talking about this – I’m like, really? Thor? Thor has a movie? [Laughter.] Really? I mean, come on. And there’s no Superman movie? This is, like, the world’s out of balance. It’s like, we’ve lost our minds here, people, come on.”

I remember he dissed Ant-Man too, calling it flavour of the week and that went to do well critically and BO wise and now Thor could out do JL. At this point I want Snyder to shit talk Infinity War too 😂

https://screenrant.com/zack-snyder-superman-thor/

• Haha 3

http://www.ew.com/article/2008/07/17/watchmen-chat-director-zack-snyder/3/

Lest we forget 2nd tier Iron Man and fricking Captain America :lol:

Several filmmakers have tried to turn Watchmen into a movie and failed. One issue Hollywood has always had with the material is that it requires an intimate familiarity with the superhero genre in order to fully appreciate it. Does the fact that Watchmenis finally being made into a movie indicate something has changed in the culture? 

The average movie audience has seen — well, I can’t even count the amount of superhero movies. Fantastic Four, X-Men, Superman, Spider-Man. The Marvel universe has gone nuts; we’re going to have a fricking Captain America movie if we’re not careful. Thor, too! We’re on our second Hulk movie. And Iron Man — $300 million domestic box office on a second tier superhero! And not to demean Iron Man — my point is that we all know about superheroes now. I can ask my mother, ”Mom, when the Hulk isn’t the Hulk, who is he?” ”Bruce Banner. Why? What a weird question.” I could ask her, ”What happened to Bruce Wayne’s parents?” ”They were killed at an opera.” You’re getting to that saturation level where superhero movies, it’s hard for them to figure out what more to do.

we’re going to have a fricking Captain America movie if we’re not careful

:ca::ca::ca::ca::ca::ca::ca::ca::ca::ca::ca::ca:

• Like 5

Korg after watching Wonder Woman

Spoiler

The damage is not too bad. As long as the foundations are still strong, we can rebuild this place. It will become a haven for all peoples and aliens of the universe.

Korg after watching Justice League

Spoiler

Oof. Now those foundations are gone. Sorry.

• Like 4
  • Haha 14
  • Astonished 1