Dementeleus

Fanboy Wars Thread: Personal Attacks not allowed | With Digital Fur Technology

4 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Probably helped that everyone that got a 3d system probably bought Avatar in some way, maybe 2016 is when people stopped to buy 3d tvs.

Yeah I think they reduced in price a lot since then? I remember that even being something mentioned in This Is The End by Seth Rogan. They wanted to get high and watch Avatar on his new 3D TV before all that stuff happened.

3 minutes ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

Yes let DC just do what Marvel did in Phase 1 and focus on good standalone solo films and forget about trying to connect them with each other plot wise. 

Yeah, I think when they can do two good movies in a row, that will be a success worth celebrating. 

7 minutes ago, cax16 said:

Reeves is working in Batman atm, WW 2 goes into production this may/June, from what we’ve heard from test screenings and from a user on this site it seems like so far so good for Aquaman. Shazam is almost done production so we’ll see how that turns out. It seems like their next focus is on some female led properties like birds of prey and Batgirl, and I think we’ll have an announcement for mos2 by comic con. DC best bet is to focus on solo movies and try and put out crowd pleasing movies.

Leave the shared universe stuff to marvel. 

And from what I can tell it seems like since Snyder isn’t really involved anymore and Whedon “departed” Batgirl (lol), it seems like everyone at WB/DC wants to forget about JL. 

All good news if those films work out. Excited for Reeves take on Batman. Not sure about Birds Of Prey or Batgirl

2 minutes ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

Yes let DC just do what Marvel did in Phase 1 and focus on good standalone solo films and forget about trying to connect them with each other plot wise. 

Agreed.

2 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Obviously $200M dom is really far stretched, but it should still beat Alien Covenant OW even if it does not look specially good and not well reviewed (something non IP movie cannot do)

Big producer tend to have participation or first dollar gross point, with how much Marvel is making it could be really hard to match. Imagine if he is just making 2%.......... how much that would be a year.

Oh yeah, I could easily see Avatar 2 beating Covenant OW....but 200M is a completely different story. Avatar is not JP. 

• Like 1

James Cameron loonies need to stop pushing Avatar as a franchise when the second movie hasn't come out yet

Franchise: a general title or concept used for creating or marketing a series of products, typically films or television shows

Avatar has an incredible box office's performance but that doesn't make it an exception to the rule

6 minutes ago, bladels said:

James Cameron loonies need to stop pushing Avatar as a franchise when the second movie hasn't come out yet

Franchise: a general title or concept used for creating or marketing a series of products, typically films or television shows

Avatar has an incredible box office's performance but that doesn't make it an exception to the rule

Toruk: The First Flight tho

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, somebody85 said:

Only 2 long years to find out filled with films that are probably going to do a lot better. I'm thrilled....

What do you have Avatar's total gross at by the way (dom/ww)?

Avatar's opening weekend was $77m which was the highest for an original film ever and it was during a snowstorm.

5 hours ago, bladels said:

we got a video game, comic book, theatre show and sequels are in production.. if you want to wait until 2020 to call it a franchise that's fine by me it doesn't really matter either way though

• Like 2

1 minute ago, IronJimbo said:

What do you have Avatar's total gross at by the way (dom/ww)?

Avatar's opening weekend was $77m which was the highest for an original film ever and it was during a snowstorm.

Nowhere near 200M. Maybe not even 100M because it will be a legs type of event again if it is well received. Will have to wait for the first teasers and trailers and see what the anticipation looks like. Avatar opened up in a different time period to now. 3D is a dying format and I think films like Gravity pushed those effects to their limit. 

It's Cameron, so expect it to be impressive in that regard but there's no attachment to that universe or those characters like Star Wars, JP, etc.

3 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

we got a video game, comic book, theatre show and sequels are in production.. if you want to wait until 2020 to call it a franchise that's fine by me it doesn't really matter either way though

Oh boy. I don't remember an Avatar video game and if there was it was probably overshadowed by a lot else. And as far as Disney, yeah I live about 90 minutes away and I hardly see it advertised here. It's not the same thing as The Wizarding World Of Harry Potter at Universal/IOA which was a force when it came in.

The competition to that will be Star Wars land next year. 

Edited by somebody85

1 hour ago, somebody85 said:

Nowhere near 200M. Maybe not even 100M because it will be a legs type of event again if it is well received. Will have to wait for the first teasers and trailers and see what the anticipation looks like. Avatar opened up in a different time period to now. 3D is a dying format and I think films like Gravity pushed those effects to their limit. 

It's Cameron, so expect it to be impressive in that regard but there's no attachment to that universe or those characters like Star Wars, JP, etc.

Not even 100m? You are just highlighting the fact that you dont know what you are talking about.  It will not be leggy like the first movie, it is more likely to open to 200m than it is to miss 100m, and will outgross every star wars and marvel movie with ease thanks to china

22 minutes ago, Jessie said:

Not even 100m? You are just highlighting the fact that you dont know what you are talking about.  It will not be leggy like the first movie, it is more likely to open to 200m than it is to miss 100m, and will outgross every star wars and marvel movie with ease thanks to china

everyone loved Avatar, it made $1.8b overseas without China

but yeah this is going to come out the gates much hotter than Avatar and naturally have smaller legs.

Edited by IronJimbo
  • Disbelief 1

8 hours ago, somebody85 said:

Man, that's the bad thing with this opening. You know they have tons of people there trying to brainstorm new ideas when DCEU just needs to start over with Wonder Woman included. Take their time. It's obviously not a fad that's going anywhere but I don't know how much bigger it can actually get from IW/A4. Maybe the addition of F4 and Xmen?

Batman V Superman was the dumbest thing they could have done considering the library of cool Batman villains they could have chosen.

I think WB won't be that bothered with trying to do something like IW just yet, the focus is on the solo films, I imagine they'll be wanting to have an eventual JL sequel with the Legion of Doom as the villains. 

7 hours ago, RRA said:

Why don't they just pay him a king's ransom when his deal is up next year? Hell let's remember our comic history when DC lured Jack Kirby away from Marvel Comics to do New Gods for them. 

As much as I like to make fun of them or criticize them, long term they can be fine if they methodically make consistently decent (perhaps even more) pictures. Develop your IP roster, build a brand, make fans crave for team-ups/cross-overs, etc.  Don't hype up your DCEU leaders and credit them by name to an industry magazine for say WONDER WOMAN's success and then can one/demote the other after JL's box office. As much of a douche as Ike Perlmutter is, did he can Kevin Feige after THE INCREDIBLE HULK didn't do crap at the box office? Why no, and why would he considering that same year IRON MAN happened. 

Then again times have changed. I remember 2 years ago when DCEU fans bragged that their movies wouldn't be "jokey" and "not for babies." Cut to Cinemacon recently where DCEU pitched their slate as "family friendly!" Not that I have a problem with that at all, but I just wonder how those fans from 2 years ago feel about this brand development/evolution? (I mean let's be honest: conceptually of all their upcoming movies that are actually coming to theaters for real the next few years SHAZAM! is the most Marvel-y property on their slate.)

Careful, the mods might delete your posts ;)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

The funny thing is TLJ fanboys get enraged if you say that the film drags because it's thin subplots don't work as well as they should. And no, the Canto Bight sequence doesn't work, deal with it. It doesn't matter that it's only 12 minutes, what matter is that it feels twice that long. 

Well, certainly your opinion, I think it works just fine. And I'm not sure what part of the internet you're from, but it isn't the TLJ fanboys that won't stop talking about it.

No one loved Avatar. It was a 3D selling gimmick. The movie didn’t age well. A great comparison would be “Alice In wonderland” which grossed 1 billion cause of 3D technology.  The sequel BOMBED.  Avatar will most likely not even reach 1 Billion. 

1 hour ago, GraceRandolph said:

No one loved Avatar. It was a 3D selling gimmick. The movie didn’t age well. A great comparison would be “Alice In wonderland” which grossed 1 billion cause of 3D technology.  The sequel BOMBED.  Avatar will most likely not even reach 1 Billion. 

they did, it wasn't, it didn't, it's not, it did, no chance

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, GraceRandolph said:

You put more thought into this post than Cameron did when he wrote (copied) the script for Avatar. I’m impressed :Venom:

Your hate only fuels Jim, every bit of doubt powers him up.  gQZE3Z1.png