Dementeleus

Fanboy Wars Thread: Personal Attacks not allowed | With Digital Fur Technology

Next time you want to prove a point, don't use anecdotal evidence from an obscure fandom forum sourced by CNN.

You think 1000 people claiming they got Avatar blues is something I should take seriously? I could find you tens of thousands that would swear to their life that the earth is flat or that vaccines cause autism, and turns out that their opinions don't mean shit.

3 hours ago, The Futurist said:

Pretty pretty good.

Intelligent people understands things perfectly fine the first time and they don't need repetition of the same arguments twice like in most blockbusters.

That is called trusting the intelligence of your audience.

In Infinity War, Thanos was a walking ideology and Force of Will, willing to sacrifice his own daughter and himself to snap half the universe because of overpopulation on his home planet. Suddenly there's a new obstacle to his goal and he abandons his goal entirely in favor of kick the dog tropes. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, LaughingEvans said:

Next time you want to prove a point, don't use anecdotal evidence from an obscure fandom forum sourced by CNN.

You think 1000 people claiming they got Avatar blues is something I should take seriously? I could find you tens of thousands that would swear to their life that the earth is flat or that vaccines cause autism, and turns out that their opinions don't mean shit.

It wasn't just CNN reporting it. Is that really the hill you want to die on? Comparing the Avatar blues phenomenon to flat earth claims? We have 2.8 billion reasons to believe Avatar was a very impactful visual experience to a great deal of people, considering it was an original film and opened to a modest $77M.

cwJROXJ.png

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Pure Spirit said:

that's just freaking weird. no thank you, anyone over the age of 5 who gets depressed because they can't live inside a movie world should go see a counsellor, not be posting about it on some forum lmao

I know you're trying to show how big and dedicated the Avatar fanbase is, but this article is just sad, showing people with an apparent mental disorder who aren't getting the help they need or deserve 

@Pure Spirit the rest of the sources you post here cite CNN themselves.

Out of the millions that saw Avatar, 1000 people claimed to have the blues. That is not a phenomenon, that might as well be a coincidence, and of course "journalism" is blowing this out of proportions.

Nobody can take away Avatar's incredible feat in the BO, however that's all that it has, especially when compared with Cameron's best works.

1 hour ago, Avatree said:

Thanos is their second-top villain behind Loki who's a great baddie.

All the other villains are bad tho.

The one in black panther was quite interesting no ? Maybe that the elevation by MBJ playing him.

4 hours ago, The Futurist said:

Pretty pretty good.

Intelligent people understands things perfectly fine the first time and they don't need repetition of the same arguments twice like in most blockbusters.

That is called trusting the intelligence of your audience.

That quite the weird cognitive twisting/spinning.

7 minutes ago, DAJK said:

that's just freaking weird. no thank you, anyone over the age of 5 who gets depressed because they can't live inside a movie world should go see a counsellor, not be posting about it on some forum lmao

Funny because that was pretty much how I was as a young kid :hahaha::whosad:

• Sad 2

11 minutes ago, DAJK said:

I know you're trying to show how big and dedicated the Avatar fanbase is, but this article is just sad, showing people with an apparent mental disorder who aren't getting the help they need or deserve 

I know fan bases tend to think of themselves as bigger then they really are,but the Avatar fanboys take the cake for that.

And, yeah,the people in that article are just pathetic. The kind that give fandom in general a bad reputation. And saddest thing they just don't see how silly they look to 90% of the population.

BTW I don't that Pure Spirit's attack on the MCU is unconnected with Endgame taking down Titanic this weekend.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TMP said:

Avatar was the shit when I was 11 years old. I haven't seen it since, but it was a huge deal back then.

Of course it was a big deal in 2009/10. It became the biggest moneymaker of all time.

Problem is that it did generate the kind of following or interest that other big films. Did. everybody remembers the names of the Star wars charecters. Outside of the Cameron Cult, who remembers the names of the Avatar charecters?

You think the most successful film of all time would have much more of a pop culture impact then Avatar did. Hell, Titainic had a much bigger pop culture presence then Avatar.

In the end, take away the ground breaking visuals for Avatar, and you have just a decent Sci Adventure movie, with some real serous flaws that jump out at you on repeat showings.

Edited by dudalb

2 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Outside of the Cameron Cult, who remembers the names of the Avatar charecters?

You think the most successful film of all time would have much more of a pop culture impact then Avatar did.

everyone criticizes Avatar for being unoriginal and yet every time someone brings the movie up in any context there’s always one person who says this exact same thing word for word

• Like 4
  • Astonished 1

5 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Outside of the Cameron Cult, who remembers the names of the Avatar charecters?

I've seen the movie twice in theaters, and I'm not an Avatar fan (I am a Cameron fan though). Jake Sully, Neytiri and Quarritch is what I remember,.

Of all the characters, Quarritch was the one that I found compelling, Sully and Neytiri were one-note, and Quarritch was the one that faced the moral challenge that Sully should have.  There was also that corporate villain guy that I never remember the actors name, Ribisi or something.

23 minutes ago, Rorschach said:

Funny because that was pretty much how I was as a young kid :hahaha::whosad:

I mean that's the point... it makes sense when you're a kid but to have full grown adults getting this worked up... lol

I mean I was sad when I was in kindergarten that I wasn't a jedi or didn't have superpowers. What five year old isn't?

As far as Avatar is concerned, I don’t know if this sounds silly or what, but back in 2010/2011, I remembered thinking that the Avatar franchise had a shot at being this generation’s Star Wars. After all, both A New Hope and Avatar were movies that brought these new alien worlds and creatures to life with groundbreaking effects, and both were the highest grossing movies of their respective times. Plus, while Avatar didn’t exactly have the most original story or characters, the same could honestly be said for ANH

Of course, at this point, it’s probably safe to say that the MCU is the new Star Wars,     while Star Wars is trying to be the new MCU, and there’s no telling how Avatar will fare as a franchise. 

30 minutes ago, LaughingEvans said:

Nobody can take away Avatar's incredible feat in the BO, however that's all that it has, especially when compared with Cameron's best works.

I hope you're trolling otherwise I feel kind of bad for you.

Fall of Hometree

Jake's birthday

Ney'tiri's betrayal

The introduction of the pure spirits

"We are mated for life." => "What the hell are you doing, Jake?"

Tsu'tey's unexpected sacrifice

Jake running

James Horner's score

The best SFX ever put on screen while also being wildly ambitious

The coherence of the wild action in the third act

Ney'tiri slowly realizing the Navi are losing the final battle

9 Oscar nominations including Best Picture, 3 Oscar wins

And never forget:

23t2ykp.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Disbelief 1

29 minutes ago, LaughingEvans said:

I've seen the movie twice in theaters, and I'm not an Avatar fan (I am a Cameron fan though). Jake Sully, Neytiri and Quarritch is what I remember,.

Of all the characters, Quarritch was the one that I found compelling, Sully and Neytiri were one-note, and Quarritch was the one that faced the moral challenge that Sully should have.  There was also that corporate villain guy that I never remember the actors name, Ribisi or something.

My point was that the charecters in Avatar are not nearly as popular as charecters from other franchise movies.

Quarritch was the best charecters in Avatar, and that was porbably due to Lang's performance.

But I agree with you that Avatar is not one of Cameron's best films. He has done much better works. The first "Terminator" and "Titanic" are my choches for his best film.

It is weird that SW:ANH in many ways has the same flaws as Avatar (not a original plot, charecters don't have much depth) but is much,much, better remembered.

5 minutes ago, dudalb said:

My point was that the charecters in Avatar are not nearly as popular as charecters from other franchise movies.

revolutionary point being made.  you’re the first person to ever bring this up.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1