WrathOfHan

Weekend Estimates (pg49): Mockingjay 101M | Spectre 14.6M | Night Before 10.1M | SITE 6.63M

Wow I'm shocked by that number mostly because both "Deathly Hollows 2" and "Breaking Dawn 2" increased over part 1 as far as a YA Comprison.   With that said nobody should be shedding any tears.  "The Hunger Games" Franchise outdid expectations by a whole lot overall.  

Just now, GiantCALBears said:

What happened here? Why did the buzz fade so much? As someone who hasn't seen the movies or books on the surface it looks like a really weak finale factor.

i also don't get it

it's like people don't bother to see how it ends lol

• Like 1

1 minute ago, filmscholar said:

Wow I'm shocked by that number mostly because both "Deathly Hollows 2" and "Breaking Dawn 2" increased over part 1 as far as a YA Comprison.   With that said nobody should be shedding any tears.  "The Hunger Games" Franchise outdid expectations by a whole lot overall.  

I actually think after the first it's probably broken even or done worse than expectations. All depends which timeline you look at. It's bizarre to me because I always thought the quality even in the back portion of this series was much better than Twilight.

Back to THG for a sec, though... Obviously casting JLaw as Katniss was huge. Tremendous actress, tremendous screen presence. They caught lightning in a bottle. The drawback, though, is that no one else in the series (and especially none of the younger cast) is remotely as good as her. They're just flat-out not interesting and not charismatic. (Stalwarts like Moore and PSH and Sutherland are fine, but they're not exactly pushing the limits of what they can do.) So the sum result of three movies of this is I -- as a casual viewer -- don't care about anyone else except JLaw, so all the time spent on her wailing about these other cardboard standups feels like a giant waste of time. It also feels like it diminishes her character a great deal. In retrospect, the series would've been much more interesting to me if she had been the only teenager.

• Like 8

Splitting the finale of a rather unliked trilogy ender into two movies likely diluted demand for each movie. It was good for finances, but it really didnt work for making a cohesive story.

Id love for someone to create an edited MJ with both parts in one.