grim22

Weekend #s. MJ2 51.6/75.7M, TGD 39.2/55.6M lowest Pixar opening since Bugs Life, Creed 30/42M biggest OW for a boxing movie

1 minute ago, Dexter of Suburbia said:

Why can't peanuts movie ever finish I ahead of Bond?

Peanuts just doesn't seem to have the legs for some reason. Will barely crack a 3X which will be among the lower multiples for an animated movie released at the start of November.

1 hour ago, John Marston said:

not quite. It had a slightly worse hold than Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire from an identical opening and that did not reach 300m. It finished with 290m

GOF's third, fourth, and fifth weekend drops are much worse than MJ1's though, whereas MJ2 is more backloaded than both CF and MJ1 so it should have better holds over the next month, and better holds leads to better legs and so on. i was just throwing a number out there but this comparison to GOF makes me actually more confident MJ2 goes beyond 310m.

3 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Only franchise films can save them just like the rest of the studios.

What franchises do they have coming out? I know 3... the DC stuff, the Godzilla/Kong universe, and Fantastic Beasts. Anything else from them?

Good stuff from the holdovers. MJ2 is going to need to cross MJ1 dailies if it's to hit $300M, which looks at least possible. Spectre did exactly what it needed to do for $200M and The Night Before could snatch out a modest hit (relative to budget) after a poor opening. Peanuts is the one puzzler; it's multi is going to be really disappointing.

The Martian (as usual) has the best weekend hold despite losing theatres. It has an outside shot at 10 weeks x top 10 if it can climb above one movie this week (possibly The Secret In Their Eyes, which is tanking).

Edited by Tau Ceti
  • Like 1

eeeh, TGD reminds me of HTTYD2... I was hopeful that Dragon 2 would somehow have great legs and I ended up wrong (not that it was bad, but I thought it would be much better). I just can't feel optimistic about TGD, mainly because SW is gonna steal family audience.

but what the hell hapenned? was the marketing so bad? how could Disney and Pixar mess this up?

Edited by JohnnY

Fantastic hold for MJ2. Now it just needs to keep this up until SW so it can salvage itself a little bit. Great for Creed. Baumer's club is going to be very close, since it will probably finish between 120-130 with that opening. 

BoS and Goosebumps kinda went south fast after all those great holds. Both looked like they were headed for 90 for awhile, and now neither may hit 80.