grim22

BOF's Top 25 movies of 2015. Full list on Page 13. The forum is shiny and chrome.

7 minutes ago, CJohn said:

This movie died on my mind during a re-watch. It doesn't hold up at all, IMO, except the legendary 5 minutes that will live forever. Furious 7 showing up here also assures Jurassic World isn't showing up at all so fuck this stupid dumb shit. 

JW wasn't all that well-received on these forums. I liked it, but jeez CJohn, no way would it have made it into BOF's top 25 movies list. You and Baumer's lists alone can't save the film. :P

Edited by Daniel Dylan Davis
  • Like 1

Spoiler

Straight Outta Compton

Y9tlORe.png

wL7Ksnl.png

The sleeper hit of summer. This movie captured the generation-defining formation and breakup of N.W.A. While it has been accused of steering clear of most controversial issues, it still managed to tell a great story and featured some of the best performances of the year. This may definitely be in the upper echelon of musical biopics for sure.

BOF User Reviews

it's absolutely excellent for about two-thirds or so, before becoming sporadic and rushed for the third act until it rounds back into shape with Eazy's breakdown and illness. But it has such relentless energy and it's so impactful- much like the group itself- that you can't resist. Cast is universally stellar, particularly Mitchell as Eazy, who owns the screen from the very first second he steps on it. And boy, is that opening scene great. Do recommend this highly, even if you aren't an NWA fan. There's certainly a big issue there with failing to address the issues with sexism and homophobia, but that's not the story they wanted to tell- even if it would have been productive. Here's one thing that I will note- there is nothing really here for female characters, and that's an understatement. But unlike several prominent blockbusters this past year or two (not to throw shade, but hi JW and Interstellar), it KNOWS it. So instead of shoehorning female characters in so they can claim to be "diverse" when really the female characters are actually given jack shit to do except move pieces into place for the men (hi JW and Interstellar), it instead focuses exclusively on the music and social impact of the men in the NWA, without tokenizing, shoehorning or sidelining worthy women performers. It knows what story it wants to tell here, and it tells it. Just an observation on the current state of female characters in big movies. It's not a good thing, but it's an interesting parallel to the vanilla representation that we see too much of.  - CMasterClay

Great movie. The story never lost focus for me, and even though the movie was long, it sure as hell didn't feel like it. The atmosphere, music and cast were awesome, and Jason Mitchell rocked it out of the park and should be nominated for an oscar for his performance. My only beef, like most movies, they had no problem showing the tits and ass of many women, but I don't recall seeing any men with not even their shirt off, which is ridiculous.  - Warhorse

• Like 11

Just now, grim22 said:

Hide contents

Straight Outta Compton

Y9tlORe.png

wL7Ksnl.png

The sleeper hit of summer. This movie captured the generation-defining formation and breakup of N.W.A. While it has been accused of steering clear of most controversial issues, it still managed to tell a great story and featured some of the best performances of the year. This may definitely be in the upper echelon of musical biopics for sure.

BOF User Reviews

it's absolutely excellent for about two-thirds or so, before becoming sporadic and rushed for the third act until it rounds back into shape with Eazy's breakdown and illness. But it has such relentless energy and it's so impactful- much like the group itself- that you can't resist. Cast is universally stellar, particularly Mitchell as Eazy, who owns the screen from the very first second he steps on it. And boy, is that opening scene great. Do recommend this highly, even if you aren't an NWA fan. There's certainly a big issue there with failing to address the issues with sexism and homophobia, but that's not the story they wanted to tell- even if it would have been productive. Here's one thing that I will note- there is nothing really here for female characters, and that's an understatement. But unlike several prominent blockbusters this past year or two (not to throw shade, but hi JW and Interstellar), it KNOWS it. So instead of shoehorning female characters in so they can claim to be "diverse" when really the female characters are actually given jack shit to do except move pieces into place for the men (hi JW and Interstellar), it instead focuses exclusively on the music and social impact of the men in the NWA, without tokenizing, shoehorning or sidelining worthy women performers. It knows what story it wants to tell here, and it tells it. Just an observation on the current state of female characters in big movies. It's not a good thing, but it's an interesting parallel to the vanilla representation that we see too much of.  - CMasterClay

Great movie. The story never lost focus for me, and even though the movie was long, it sure as hell didn't feel like it. The atmosphere, music and cast were awesome, and Jason Mitchell rocked it out of the park and should be nominated for an oscar for his performance. My only beef, like most movies, they had no problem showing the tits and ass of many women, but I don't recall seeing any men with not even their shirt off, which is ridiculous.  - Warhorse

I was hoping this was higher but still glad to see it on the list :) 

Never saw SOC so I can't comment on it. 

2 minutes ago, Daniel Dylan Davis said:

JW wasn't all that well-received on these forums. I liked it, but jeez CJohn, no way would it have made it into BOF's top 25 movies list. You and Baumer's lists alone can't save the film. :P

That is because all the forum decided that it wanted to be really cool and edgy and not like it. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CJohn said:

That is because all the forum decided that it wanted to be really cool and edgy and not like it. 

I think JW was really entertaining, but I do think a lot of people were being honest with their dislike / hate for it, especially Tele. It's a fun movie, but I wouldn't say it's most logical film in the world. I just find myself engaged with the "world" the film created, hence why I enjoyed it.

Never saw SOC so I can't comment on it. 

i'm pretty cool and edgy in everything i do and i thought jurassic world was good fun. still dinnae make my list.

• Like 1

Oh brother, that ain't show up either :lol: 

and has no reason to show up either :P  but hey lists always have surprises so we shall see if that or JW shows up at all

Just now, tribefan695 said:

If TGD manages to get on here, you can totally blame me

the pitchforks are at the ready :P

I never got to see it so I can't comment on it either way 

• Like 1

Spoiler

What We Do In The Shadows

2QMAgPF.png

gSPoKBX.png

One of my personal favorites from 2015. This movie was just brilliant and continued in the mockumentary tradition of "This is Spinal Tap". A great look at the lives of Vampires in present day New Zealand, it dives into topics we never see in other vampire movies. Definitely recommended that you seek it out in case you haven't seen it yet.

BOF User Review:

Pretty hysterical throughout... Obviously not as good as Spinal Tap. That's one of the greatest of the greats.

A-

-Johnny Gossamer

• Like 13

Just now, grim22 said:

Hide contents

What We Do In The Shadows

2QMAgPF.png

gSPoKBX.png

One of my personal favorites from 2015. This movie was just brilliant and continued in the mockumentary tradition of "This is Spinal Tap". A great look at the lives of Vampires in present day New Zealand, it dives into topics we never see in other vampire movies. Definitely recommended that you seek it out in case you haven't seen it yet.

BOF User Review:

Pretty hysterical throughout... Obviously not as good as Spinal Tap. That's one of the greatest of the greats.

A-

-Johnny Gossamer

who?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

How about Ant-Man and Kingsman back to back? :ph34r: 

Kingsman seems pretty assured to show up on the top 15.

Ant-Man might show up now thanks to the Marvel loonies. That and Age of Ultron.