WrathOfHan

Weekend Estimates (pg8): Mockingjay 18.6M | Krampus 16M | Creed 15.54M | TGD 15.51M

Mockingjay's drop is about in line with Catching Fire at the same point in its run. With the massive competition just two weeks ahead, its chances at $300 million appear to be dashed. It should finish a bit over $290 million, which will make its run eerily similar to that of Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire ten years ago, albeit with significantly lower ticket sales.

Krampus had a great opening, all things considered. No film has opened over $10 million during the weekend after Thanksgiving since Aeon Flux in 2005, and the first to open north of $15 million since The Last Samurai in 2003. As odd as it seemed as a holiday horror-comedy, its bizarre hybrid of genres actually ended up being its biggest and best selling point, and it successfully filled what has been a big and continuous void for horror throughout most of this year. Legs will probably be awful, but it's this dump spot's biggest winner in a dozen years.

Creed held really well. Assuming that the estimate is accurate, it had even better staying power than The Blind Side after its big Thanksgiving weekend six years ago. We'll see whether it can challenge Rocky IV's $127.9 million as the highest-grossing film in the franchise, but wherever it ultimately ends up, it's a huge winner.

The Good Dinosaur crumbled. Its hold is reminiscent of that of The Muppets in the post-Thanksgiving weekend in 2011, which was also shocking in the face of the strong reception that it seemed to have. If Good Dinosaur matches Muppets' staying power (or relative lack thereof) from here on out, it will finish with $121 million. My guess (or foolish hope?) is that it will hold up better than that, but even so, it's bound to be Pixar's least-attended film by a huge margin. If nothing else, I guess it goes to show that Disney was truly on-point every step of the way in their marketing for Inside Out this summer, whereas they missed the ball on Good Dinosaur.

Spectre held up a bit better than Quantum of Solace, which fell off the face of the Earth after Thanksgiving in 2008. It probably won't have enough gas in the tank to surpass $200 million, but at least it hasn't faded as quickly as Quantum.

The Night Before has had some solid legs thus far.

The Peanuts Movie took a huge hit, although there's nothing surprising about an enormous drop after its light decline during Thanksgiving weekend.

Spotlight and Brooklyn both held up really well. It makes me quite happy that they're finding success in their modest releases thus far.

Victor Frankenstein's $253 per-theatre average is laughably bad, but not surprising; it's understandable why theatres would cut back its showtimes before mercifully letting its awful run draw to a close at the end of this week.

Carol held up nicely in its four locations, but that drop for The Danish Girl is a bit troubling. It's an infinitely harder sell than Tom Hooper's previous two films, but its performance has still been pretty soft.

Legend is screwed when it goes wide. I'm kind of surprised that Universal didn't just bite the bullet and send it into immediate wide release (ditto for By the Sea, which has quietly vanished despite having two of the biggest movie stars on the planet).

I'm disappointed that Macbeth didn't open higher, but straightforward Shakespeare adaptations haven't been big at the box office in the 19 years since Romeo + Juliet opened at #1.

• Like 4

Macbeth was dumped by Harvey on purpose, most likely so he could save up the P&A money for Carol and The Hateful Eight. The low grosses seem hardly surprising.

I think I read somewhere that Legend's wide release has been scaled back to around 400 theaters. For the best really since the expansion won't be kind to it either way.

21 minutes ago, Webslinger said:

Creed held really well. Assuming that the estimate is accurate, it had even better staying power than The Blind Side after its big Thanksgiving weekend six years ago. We'll see whether it can challenge Rocky IV's $127.9 million as the highest-grossing film in the franchise, but wherever it ultimately ends up, it's a huge winner.

Inflation Adjusted, Rocky IV grossed 285 M...

Rocky Balboa grossed 87,6 M inflation adjusted.

Edited by Laurent K

I'm almost inclined to call Krampus the biggest over-performer since SOC:ph34r: Seriously though, I think that was the last time anything at the box office has over-performed my expectations so much in this long drought of under-performers. Opened about 3x higher than I thought. 

Horrid, horrid weekend for everything else. Spotlight, Brooklyn, and The Night Before (wtf?) are the only ones to have good holds. Poor to awful for everything else. TGD is screwed beyond saving now. 

5 hours ago, damienroc said:

TGD may end up under Bolt WW. Probably depends on China.

If it does get to release in China, it'll prob do better than Inside out (which did poorly), I don't think TGD will even get a release in China though.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, NCsoft said:

If it does get to release in China, it'll prob do better than Inside out (which did poorly), I don't think TGD will even get a release in China though.

That will suck, since I think China could really help in this case. I feel like it's maybe the only market where it has a chance to be way more appealing than IO

Some bought tickets for "Meet your makers" and I had no idea what he was talking about.

Wasnt until he got all mad and showed me a poster on his phone that I realized it was for Victor Frankenstein.

Edited by DAJK
  • Like 1