Impact

2012 Best Picture Thread

New Update:1. Lincoln2. Zero Dark Thirty3. Silver Linings Playbook4. Les Mis5. Argo6. Life of Pi7. The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel8. Django Unchained9. Beasts of the Southern Wild10. The Master

What does this mean?

I actually didn't want to see Life of Pi prior to my roommate dragging me to it, and I actually really loved it. Pleasant surprise. Didn't like it near as much as TDKR, but as someone who has a Batman tattoo I should never have been expected to.

Edited by Cmasterclay

I really think it has as good a shot as any of those. I certainly think it gets in before TDKR, Rust and Bone, Brave.`

I honestly think it would get in before any of those on that list besides maybe Sessions. Has the best chance of the big blockbusters thanks to being a recent release, superb acting all around, and the 50 years of Bond factor. Edited by HobbitMan89

You know this is the first time since 2000 where it seems that there is no clear frontrunner.

What about 2006? At this point Dreamgirls, Babel, Little Miss Sunshine and The Departed were all competing. By Oscar night some people still were predicting Babel or Little Miss Sunshine.

What about 2006? At this point Dreamgirls, Babel, Little Miss Sunshine and The Departed were all competing. By Oscar night some people still were predicting Babel or Little Miss Sunshine.

I would say when Marty won the DGA The Departed slipped ahead into official frontrunner status. But yeah through January easily it was a very tight race.

Well another thing is that no film is really sweeping either.

Skyfall? Come on. It was a fun light action movie, but nothing profound or moving. Realistically, it shouldn't even be considered; not because it was bad but because it will never be nominated.

Oscar nominated movies are profound ???Give me a fraking break please.Stop being snob ( like the old geezers of AMPAS) when it comes to movies.Comedies, blockbusters are treated like plague by the academy as if it couldn't contain some great filmmaking and acting.This has to stop.To me, Avengers (yes, that pop corn flick everybody loved), TDKR and Skyfall are all worthy of a nomination in a top 10 field.This not good enough stigma is ajoke.Plenty of mediocre/average films were nominated just because they were aimed at AMPAS, not because they were so great.Greatness shouldn't be divided by labels and categories, something the academy is still guilty as charged despite the top ten field

Oscar nominated movies are profound ???Give me a fraking break please.Stop being snob ( like the old geezers of AMPAS) when it comes to movies.Comedies, blockbusters are treated like plague by the academy as if it couldn't contain some great filmmaking and acting.This has to stop.To me, Avengers (yes, that pop corn flick everybody loved), TDKR and Skyfall are all worthy of a nomination in a top 10 field.This not good enough stigma is ajoke.Plenty of mediocre/average films were nominated just because they were aimed at AMPAS, not because they were so great.Greatness shouldn't be divided by labels and categories, something the academy is still guilty as charged despite the top ten field

Being an action film it is immediately disadvantaged. It's lack of profundity matters in this case.