#ED

Star Wars The Force Awakens: Opening Weekend | Actuals In 1st Post | $247,966,675 | The Force Awoke... and it's not sleeping anytime soon | 119, 68, 60

Just now, hasanahmad said:

Facts about avatar 

avatar made money because it was supposed to act as the rebirth of 3D in theaters. Avatar was a 3D showcase and made a lot of money becsuse it was made for 3D. Now that nearly everyone avoids 3D , avatar 2 will not even come close to the original because the gimmick is dying . Now when people realize the story is ok and no one cares about blue aliens the sequel will flop in comparison 

Ah thats where BKB went, good to see you bud!.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, hasanahmad said:

Facts about avatar 

avatar made money because it was supposed to act as the rebirth of 3D in theaters. Avatar was a 3D showcase and made a lot of money becsuse it was made for 3D. Now that nearly everyone avoids 3D , avatar 2 will not even come close to the original because the gimmick is dying . Now when people realize the story is ok and no one cares about blue aliens the sequel will flop in comparison 

I'm hardly an Avatar fan, but betting against Jim is NEVER the right call. He always finds a new way to crack the pop consciousness. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, hasanahmad said:

Facts about avatar 

It made money because Cameron excels about selling the experience. The 3D in Avatar was part of that. It worked because of how exacting he was about the 3D, in a way that most blockbusters aren't. (The MCU, for instance, has basically no reason to be 3D.) When it comes around to Avatar 2, the market trends are probably not going to matter, because he's, again, going to be selling the experience. If that involves 3D and 120 FPS, then I'm sure that they won't be gimmicks, but rather integral parts of creating the best cinematic viewing possible.

Arguably, Peter Jackson was trying to do this in The Hobbit films, but his strengths as a filmmaker aren't really in that direction, so it fell short. Cameron is the absolute master at understanding how to use the film technology to the best effect.

Basically, it's no different than Nolan's focus on using 15/70 IMAX, or Tarantino's choice of 70mm for Hateful Eight. It's part of the experience they're trying to sell.

• Like 7

29 minutes ago, Noctis said:

So...DH2 manages to have an OS OW higher than TFA. Thank fuck it held onto something. 

But DH2 and TFA both had OS openings that are far more impressive than Jurassic World because they didn't have China. 

Jurassic World beating (more like fudging) DH2's $314m by a mere $2m still annoys me.

Hmmm....seems like JW barely nudged by another record or two as well.

24 minutes ago, CJ Ren said:

The franchise is dead. It went from a 44M OW (with 2 days of burned demand) to 25M to 14M. It is dead. It is still gonna do a good 70-80M DOM but they won't greenlight another one. 

Well, that will be one less movie in theaters that I wasn't going to see.

2 minutes ago, Damien Spock said:

It made money because Cameron excels about selling the experience. The 3D in Avatar was part of that. It worked because of how exacting he was about the 3D, in a way that most blockbusters aren't. (The MCU, for instance, has basically no reason to be 3D.) When it comes around to Avatar 2, the market trends are probably not going to matter, because he's, again, going to be selling the experience. If that involves 3D and 120 FPS, then I'm sure that they won't be gimmicks, but rather integral parts of creating the best cinematic viewing possible.

Arguably, Peter Jackson was trying to do this in The Hobbit films, but his strengths as a filmmaker aren't really in that direction, so it fell short. Cameron is the absolute master at understanding how to use the film technology to the best effect.

Basically, it's no different than Nolan's focus on using 15/70 IMAX, or Tarantino's choice of 70mm for Hateful Eight. It's part of the experience they're trying to sell.

Except those don't require the stupid glasses. I preferred Avatar in 2D Blu-ray and wish I could have seen it in 2D IMAX. 

33 minutes ago, Darth Water Bottle said:

J.J. Abrams meanwhile has really only done studio projects (Super 8, Mission Impossible 3, two Star Trek movies). That's four films, one more than Johnson, before Star Wars. So if anyone is worried about Johnson's output so far...

The pilots of LOST and Alias are directed better than Looper.

2 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Except those don't require the stupid glasses. I preferred Avatar in 2D Blu-ray and wish I could have seen it in 2D IMAX. 

Even with general falling 3D share, people will turn out for films where it's worth it for the experience. Gravity's a good example. There's no reason to think Cameron's suddenly not going to be able to sell people on the format. It's not that people don't like 3D, it's just that it's not felt as necessary in most cases.

• Like 1

It's relaxing to talk to people in real life who do not follow box office.    Explaining to them the absurdly incredible thing that SW7 is doing this weekend garners the proper reaction.   They are wowed.    I explain that it was not considered possible to break the OW record in December and that the old December record was 84 million so they would not care one way or another if it was 238m or 250m.    Getting anywhere near the OW record would be amazing....barely breaking it would be astounding.     Flying by the record?     Crazy.

• Like 6

Just now, Damien Spock said:

Even with general falling 3D share, people will turn out for films where it's worth it for the experience. Gravity's a good example. There's no reason to think Cameron's suddenly not going to be able to sell people on the format. It's not that people don't like 3D, it's just that it's not felt as necessary in most cases.

I agree with that. Gravity was like a theme park ride so a lot of people felt the 3D was worth it. Avatar is the only franchise that might have enough 3D goodwill with the audience to get similar 3D business to Avatar 1/Gravity. 

33 minutes ago, CJ Ren said:

Yes, it was. At least where I live it was 100% because there were no 2D shows available. And I am sure the share was over 80% in every country. 

No, that wasn't even true domestically and overseas for its opening weekend only 25% of the screens Avatar played on were 3D and they accounted for 56% of the gross. That went up as positive word of mouth spread, but its 3D share didn't and couldn't possibly have reached anywhere near 100%. There just weren't nearly enough 3D screens back then. So few, in fact, that it got prematurely pushed out of thousands of them for other 3D movies.

source: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/avatar-dominates-intl-boxoffice-92522

Edited by arlo
  • Like 3