#ED

Star Wars The Force Awakens: Opening Weekend | Actuals In 1st Post | $247,966,675 | The Force Awoke... and it's not sleeping anytime soon | 119, 68, 60

Just now, #ED2-D2 said:

I understand some people think it will drop less than 40% on Monday. I think if the figure lands about 60M for Sunday, that it's really hard to pull off a 30M+ on Monday. I don't think that is possible with winter breaks not in full effect yet.

...we just had a $250m weekend in December and you still have reservations about a $30m Monday?

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, #ED2-D2 said:

I understand some people think it will drop less than 40% on Monday. I think if the figure lands about 60M for Sunday, that it's really hard to pull off a 30M+ on Monday. I don't think that is possible with winter breaks not in full effect yet.

Same day 2009: http://www.boxofficemojo.com/daily/chart/?sortdate=2009-12-21&p=.htm

Lot of really good holds for all movies, not just the freak Avatar. I think 50% is a worst case scenario. 40-45% seems more likely. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Sagemode87 said:

I'm sure I'm going to get a lot of hate for this, but this movie doesn't deserve to beat Avatar. Unlike Star Wars, Avatar was built on pure word of mouth, almost no hype upon release. TFA is from a  franchise continuing from a 40 year legacy, hype was inevitable. What Avatar did is to be respected in my opinion.

Of course it's respected. But Avatar definitely had hype on release (nowhere near SW, but what movie has ever had this much hype?). It's run is amazing, and all the people on this site who know box office are still in awe of it. Any movie that can set the all-time DOM record is impressive, and the way Avatar did it is one of the greatest runs in BO history. But SW still needs great WOM (which it's getting) to beat Avatar, and if it does set the DOM record, it certainly doesn't diminish what Avatar accomplished.

Edited by Jayhawk the Hutt
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Sagemode87 said:

I'm sure I'm going to get a lot of hate for this, but this movie doesn't deserve to beat Avatar. Unlike Star Wars, Avatar was built on pure word of mouth, almost no hype upon release. TFA is from a  franchise continuing from a 40 year legacy, hype was inevitable. What Avatar did is to be respected in my opinion. 

Avatar had a lot of hype before its realesase. You cannot open a movie to 77M despite a huge snow storm without great hype. Then it became a WOM monster.

Star Wars 7 could also deliver some amazing legs thanks to WOM. We still don't know.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, GiantCALBears said:

Disney stock is plunging on the news (opened at $108.8 & quickly got up to $110, now at low of day barely holding $106), seems most of the BO was priced in already while the market around it is doing pretty well this morning. 

Well, that's because Star Wars' box office grosses are not a major driver of Disney's stock price.  It's comical to see these articles titled "why is disney stock price dropping as Star Wars does record box office?"  Disney's revenue is about $45B -- Star Wars' grosses and merchandise this year might account for, max, 10% of its revenue.  Not anything to sniff at, but Disney stock is driven by much more important things like ESPN subscriptions (ESPN is presently valued at $50B, that should put the value of Star Wars to the entire Disney company in perspective), anti-trust issues in Europe, global revenue from theme parks (account for about $15B or 1/3 of gross revenue for Disney), and so forth.

• Like 3

Avatar was always going to be toppled just like Titanic before & TFA after it will be. It's the nature of inflation & media using unadjusted totals. It all depends on how you want to evaluate performance. No one ever talks about GWTW as the domestic champ & that's because it's time period isn't relevant today (plus they re-released it like 20 times lol). You have to evaluate the bigger picture, Avatar making the December record then going to have a 10x multiplier in 2009-10 could be argued easily as impressive as Titanic 20x multiplier in 1997-8.

• Like 4

Deserve has got nothing to do with it. Secondly, you say avatar was built purely on word of mouth, Star Wars has been being built for 40 years and that led up to this mammoth gigantic ridiculous opening. No one is ever taking anything away from Avatar but this Star Wars opening is 40 years of building and character development and fanfare and love all culminating into this weekend. 

• Like 8